Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times

Advertisements

As I have posted before; I took a one week vacation to Chicago to visit family and get a feel for the city.

I must say, I have had the best time in a long time.

I went to a few lounges and clubs which were OK but still better than most of the places here in Houston.

But millenium park; Buckingham Fountain; and John Hancock Observatory are just simply amazing! There is nothing that comes close to those places where I live!

Although there were some places that looked shady (around Midway Airport) there wasn't a place that I felt Unsafe. Even around downtown at 2 in the morning I felt perfectly OK just walking around the Riverwalk.

You people are truly lucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:10 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Yes, I am.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
In my opinion, Chicago has the best downtown than any other big city that I have visited; including New York.

Downtown Chicago has a thriving nightlife, plenty of nice restaurants, beautiful scenery near the lake, and for a big city I found that people in general are nice.
Furthermore, it is a clean downtown compared to many other big cities such as New York and Los Angeles. If it wasn't for the long cold winters and I was looking to move to another large metro area, I would definitely consider Chicago.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
Awfully nice of you.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
As I have posted before; I took a one week vacation to Chicago to visit family and get a feel for the city.

I must say, I have had the best time in a long time.

I went to a few lounges and clubs which were OK but still better than most of the places here in Houston.

But millenium park; Buckingham Fountain; and John Hancock Observatory are just simply amazing! There is nothing that comes close to those places where I live!

Although there were some places that looked shady (around Midway Airport) there wasn't a place that I felt Unsafe. Even around downtown at 2 in the morning I felt perfectly OK just walking around the Riverwalk.

You people are truly lucky
This is interesting, because I actually can't wait to move to Texas (Austin) next year (hopefully). Chicago is a great city, but I have come to terms that is OK if its not for me, despite the fact that I am from the area (suburbs).

Texans are proud of their state, and Chicagoans (and suburbanites) are likewise proud of their city.

As someone who is a geographer, more of a regionally person than a locally minded person, I would rather live in a state that has everything that you can think of (several cities, hill country, desolate beaches, mountains, canyons, historical sites, etc.), even if no one city has everything you would need, than an awesome city in a region that has less.

Some of the things that I would like Houston for is: Memorial Park (a relatively wild forested park right in downtown versus Chicagos artificially landscaped parks), Galveston nearby (so historical and gateway to large stretches of beaches), yes I know trash washes up, but trash can be cleaned up, can't do anything about overdevelopment.

I just love how the folksyness of Texas (barbecue, cowboy, Willie Nelson, etc.) blends itself with "urbane sophistication." Its how I grew up. For example Fort Worth has a western Art museum and a regular art museum, and a modern Art museum all in the same district. Or how in Austin, you can go from Threadgills or the Broken Spoke to more "dance club" places right across Town Lake.

I loved how hispanic Texans were walking around and enjoying the grounds of the Alamo in San Antonio. Also the Juneteenth celebration in Texas. As a white guy, I can be more at ease with African Americans and hispanic Americans in Texas than in Chicago.
I love the Arab Cowboy Coffee house and Hookah Lounge. I love how immigrants there don't take their culture so seriously and adapt the regions image.

And of course the women were indeed beautiful in Texas.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
This is interesting, because I actually can't wait to move to Texas (Austin) next year (hopefully). Chicago is a great city, but I have come to terms that is OK if its not for me, despite the fact that I am from the area (suburbs).

Texans are proud of their state, and Chicagoans (and suburbanites) are likewise proud of their city.

As someone who is a geographer, more of a regionally person than a locally minded person, I would rather live in a state that has everything that you can think of (several cities, hill country, desolate beaches, mountains, canyons, historical sites, etc.), even if no one city has everything you would need, than an awesome city in a region that has less.

Some of the things that I would like Houston for is: Memorial Park (a relatively wild forested park right in downtown versus Chicagos artificially landscaped parks), Galveston nearby (so historical and gateway to large stretches of beaches), yes I know trash washes up, but trash can be cleaned up, can't do anything about overdevelopment.

I just love how the folksyness of Texas (barbecue, cowboy, Willie Nelson, etc.) blends itself with "urbane sophistication." Its how I grew up. For example Fort Worth has a western Art museum and a regular art museum, and a modern Art museum all in the same district. Or how in Austin, you can go from Threadgills or the Broken Spoke to more "dance club" places right across Town Lake.

I loved how hispanic Texans were walking around and enjoying the grounds of the Alamo in San Antonio. Also the Juneteenth celebration in Texas. As a white guy, I can be more at ease with African Americans and hispanic Americans in Texas than in Chicago.
I love the Arab Cowboy Coffee house and Hookah Lounge. I love how immigrants there don't take their culture so seriously and adapt the regions image.

Do you realize though that the culture in Texas and Chicago is completely different?

You can't compare them.

Chicago has tons of stuff Texas doesn't have and likewise. I gaurantee you there are great things in Chicago you wn't find in Houston, Austin, or Dallas.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
This is interesting, because I actually can't wait to move to Texas (Austin) next year (hopefully)...
Ok move already. Post your boasts about Texas in their forums. Christ.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:

Please, by all means, pack your crap and move already!!! Frick.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I have to say, I would love to visit a place called Arab Cowboy Coffee house and Hookah Lounge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago