Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times

Advertisements

HCC,

I do not live in Chicago but have visited the city several times. Some of the reasons and examples in why you do not like Chicago is actually some of the reasons in why I like Chicago. For example, I rather go to sports bars and dress more casual when going out than go to overpriced fancy and pritzy restaurants. Actually, Chicago has some that as well.

I find people in Chicago in general to be more simple and less materialistic and not as fake compared to some of the other big cities. For a big city, I think people are generally friendly; MUCH FRIENDLIER THAN NEW YORK! Downtown Chicago is also alot more cleaner than New York. Have you been in New York at 3:00 AM when not many people are in the sidewalk walking? What you usually see is a bunch of garbage, paper, and litter. I have not experienced that in Chicago at 3:00 AM.

As far as intelligent level or intelligent people. I guess it depends who you are with and where you hang out at. There are many professionals and well educated people in Chicago. Yet, many of those intelligent people may not be snobs and may just be simple minded folks that have brains.

I have to agree that there are bunch of idiots in Chicago. But per capita, no more than any other big city.

I live in Miami and I can tell you that in general, people in Chicago are much more friendlier than Miami. I feel that Miami is a bit friendlier than New York. So you can imagine what I feel the difference is between Chicago and New York when it comes to friendliness and politeness.

Not every city is for everyone. Good luck in New York and I wish you lots of luck.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,438 times
Yawn...this is not was I was interested in inspiring. I'll just leave this open for a month and see what pops up.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM

156 posts, read 331,007 times
Anyway, like I was saying...the Modern Wing is pretty impressive. How's the weather been in NYC? It's unseasonably cool here.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
A self proclaimed well-read gay guy spends his time here dating a sorority girl and hanging out with the drink-til-you-puke crowd. And he wants to understand why he was miserable here?

Brilliant.
That is exactly what I read too. The poor guy never got out of Lincoln Park. I'd be miserable too if I were forced to hang out with only beer guzzling Cubs fans and vapid sorority chicks, and then he wonders why he's miserable. Then, oddly enough, decides that is the whole city.

It is akin to moving to Williamsburg in nyc because you were dating a hipster with artistic aspirations, only hanging out with said hipster's friends who did nothing but go to art openings, indie rock shows, and performance art presentations, and were unable to talk about anything but such things when you secretly just wanted to watch the Yankees game, hating said hipster's friends, and then dismissing the entirety of nyc as a bunch of whiny skinny trustafarians, and then wondering why everyone is mocking you.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
Yawn...this is not was I was interested in inspiring. I'll just leave this open for a month and see what pops up.

Evidently not many give a damn what course you think the thread should take.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,438 times
Ok, this is not a place to rip on me and I am not looking to insult YOU because you live there and enjoy it. You guys are misreading this thread.
To answer a few points:
-Yep, gay and yes happened to have had a relationship with a girl, who knew I was primarily attracted to guys from the beginning. It is really none of your business actually.
-Not a hipster
-Frequently got out of Lincoln Prk/Lakeview and tried living in Wicker Prk.
-Tried lots of things from MCA nights, wine tasting classes, sailing, tennis, running club, "crapple" nights, we tried probably half the restaurants in Zagats-Chicago, Second City class, cooking class at that gourmet store oddly stuck near the lakeshore(what's it called?) Had plenty of gay friends, boring/juvenile art happenings in Wicker Park/Bucktown-don't try to compare those to Williamsburg please. And on and on...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Ok, this is not a place to rip on me and I am not looking to insult YOU because you live there and enjoy it. You guys are misreading this thread.
To answer a few points:
-Yep, gay and yes happened to have a relationship with a girl, who knew I was primarily attracted to guys from the beginning. It is really none of your business actually.
-Not a hipster
-Frequently got out of Lincoln Prk/Lakeview and tried living in Wicker Prk.
-Tried lots of things from MCA nights, wine tasting classes, sailing, tennis, running club, "crapple" nights, we tried probably half the restaurants in Zagats-Chicago, Second City class, cooking class at that gourmet store oddly stuck near the lakeshore(what's it called?) Had plenty of gay friends, boring/juvenile art happenings in Wicker Park/Bucktown-don't try to compare those to Williamsburg please. And on and on...
I've been to quite a few of juvenile art openings in Williamsburg (yes, I'm friends with some artistic sorts in Greenpoint). Spare me. You know as well as I know there are just as many dull pedestrian wannabe artists there as there are in Wicker Park, they just happen to have more money than Chicagoans.

Just because I currently live in Chicago doesn't mean I am ignorant of the rest of the world.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Rofl you are so hipster its not even funny

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Ok, this is not a place to rip on me ...

Oh, but it is.

Wow, you got all the way out to Wicker Park, eh? Sounds like you really got around.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Surlycue, Lol. Exactly my thoughts - but we don't have the popcorn smiley here.
But we so need it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago