Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM

55 posts, read 175,984 times

Advertisements

so my roommate and i checked out a 2br/2ba at lincoln park plaza. and i'll be honest, we loved it. it was modern/clean, tons of features all included in the rent, and a nice view. it went straight to the top of our list of possible places to live.

then i went on apartmentratings.com and looked it up and the reviews were just awful. complaints about communal facilities, management, maintanence, and the residents (some mention of section 8).

the thing about the reviews was that the most recent one came from 2007. now obviously a lot can change in 2-3 years. i've been scouring google looking for LPP in news or other review sites, and i can't find anything relevant or recent. so we were wondering if anybody had any recent personal experience with this building, or know anybody who has who can give us a helpfull information in making our decision.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times
Just did a quick search and found this article. It's old but doesn't necessarily mean they've discontinued renting to section 8'ers.

Sheldon Baskin - Keeping Current - Rienzi Plaza to keep on renting to low income tenants - Brief Article | Chicago Reporter, The | Find Articles at BNET

ETA: and here is another review site: http://www.apartmentreviews.net/rati...park-plaza.htm . poor maintenance seems to be the biggest issue.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Just did a quick search and found this article. It's old but doesn't necessarily mean they've discontinued renting to section 8'ers.

Sheldon Baskin - Keeping Current - Rienzi Plaza to keep on renting to low income tenants - Brief Article | Chicago Reporter, The | Find Articles at BNET

ETA: and here is another review site: Lincoln Park Plaza Apartment Ratings and Reviews - Chicago Illinois Apartments . poor maintenance seems to be the biggest issue.
i've seen both of those already, but thanks! yeah i'm kind of a google fiend and i've been looking for any kind of helpful information in making our decision.

we've already talked to the management about section 8, and from what we've been told, it's only floors 1-6, and the requirements to be eligible are that you have to be older than 60. so for the most part it's the elderly/immigrants/hopital patients.

one conclusion i am leaning towards is that since 2007, they have changed/improved their management/maintanence to a point where people don't feel compelled to write a terrible review about it (but not to so great a level that people feel compelled to rave about how great it is).

so i guess what i'm really looking for is some word of mouth or personal experiences with the building to ease our minds (or scare us out of renting).

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times
I would see if the realtor can show you the place again, this time around 6 pm on a weekday that way you can catch residents coming home from work and get the skinny directly from them. I've never lived in a building bigger than a 6-flat but it's always worked for me as the most direct way to assess the building and surrounding neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I would see if the realtor can show you the place again, this time around 6 pm on a weekday that way you can catch residents coming home from work and get the skinny directly from them. I've never lived in a building bigger than a 6-flat but it's always worked for me as the most direct way to assess the building and surrounding neighborhood.
well, we are going to check out a different unit in the building some time next week for an august lease (the first one we saw was for july). but that's a good idea, thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM

bump. looking for anyone who has any input on this building.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,809 times
Did you find out anything? We are also interested in an apartment there.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
I know a guy who lived in the building for years and moved out recently because he could no longer afford the rent (he moved to a vintage courtyard type building which was older and cheaper). Anyway, he loved Rienzi Plaza(Lincoln Pk) and the location was great. Only moved to save money. Good luck with finding your new place.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 16,833 times
I live in this building and LOVE it. Nowhere in Lincoln Park can you really find a 2-bedroom, 2-bath highrise for the same price (we were paying a little over $1,700). The views were spectacular, there was no noise between the units and everything was safe, secure and sturdy.

The Section 8 was not bothersome. It seemed to be older Europeans living there rather than thugs. Never had any problems with loud music nor crime. They seemed to be confined to floors 1-6 which was a different elevator wing.

My only complaints about the building were that the elevators could be a little slow at times and that they didn't seem to provide air conditioning in the lobby. However, the a/c in the unit itself worked just fine.

For the price, location and safety, I don't think this building can be beat by most others in its same price range.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamjah View Post
we've already talked to the management about section 8, and from what we've been told, it's only floors 1-6, and the requirements to be eligible are that you have to be older than 60. so for the most part it's the elderly/immigrants/hopital patients.
I remember when the tenants -- a bunch of old Russian women -- organized to renew the building's Section 8 contract. Very little to be afraid of there. From the outside, it certainly looks like the retail parts of the building have been spiffed up in recent years, but I can't say anything about the apartments inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: