Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The part that I loved about it was the celebration of civil unions. People all around happy that their relationship with the one they love is official and they can have the same benefits of the heterosexual mariage. I don't care what one believes about gays and what they do behind closed doors, we all have to admit love is a beautiful thing.
It's certainly better than all the hate in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
The parade is inclusive of a lot more than your 'leather stereotype' --- you have entries/floats of radio stations, government/chambers of commerce/state reps, schools, retail stores, car dealerships, travel companies (Orbitz, United/Continental), dance companies, etc.
This is true. In fact, some of the oldtimers are complaining that the parade has gotten "too commercial" in recent years and is no longer political enough.

I'm glad that, in Chicago, WLS Channel 7 airs a one-hour special on the Pride Parade later in the evening, covering a lot of the highlights. When I lived in Ohio, the parades got maybe 1-minute coverage on the evening newscasts, and then they zeroed in on the most outlandish aspects, which of course gave the viewing public a totally false impression.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 PM

381 posts, read 842,184 times
Damn. Really wanted to go to this but it completely slipped my mind until my mom told me about it late Sunday evening. Damn, damn, damn.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,871 times
anybody else catch the shots fired at clark & belmont around 3AM?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
...It's like if the St. Patricks day parade was just packed with staggeringly drunk irishmen in dirty t-shirts beating their wives and 7 kids while throwing potatos at the crowd...
Well, that's why they disbanded the South Side Irish Parade!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM

110 posts, read 277,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well, that's why they disbanded the South Side Irish Parade!
Coincidently, the Onion has a parody of that as well:

Irish-Americans Gear Up For 'The Reinforcin' O' The Stereotypes' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Is this a fake story? The Onion is known for a lot of fake comedy stories...

Is the Kit Kat a drag queen bar? Where is it located?
The Onion is basically sarcasm news, although its draw is that it normally has a very glaring and appropriate message - it just does it in a tongue in cheek kinda way. Few of their big stories are just straight up nonsense. It reminds me of the Simpsons in many ways, they do funny stories about people doing stupid things - but there's a clear underlying message about how silly or even stupid our society can be.

Kit Kat is a martini bar/restaurant that has drag performers. I'm not big into drag performers at all, but they do tend to do it a little more tastefully than other places that just throw out some dude screaming in a bad wig and makeup - amateurs.

I actually love their outdoor patio for sunday brunch. Decent deal, all you can drink memosas, a more quiet street, trees, plants, nice big tables, etc.

It's at Waveland and Halsted.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
The majority of people that went to Gay Pride were not even gay. God, it has become a hipster thing to do. That is why so many people from the burbs go. Its so stupid.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
The majority of people that went to Gay Pride were not even gay. God, it has become a hipster thing to do. That is why so many people from the burbs go...
You've just realized this? I opted to attend the Fire game instead. So much for the "gay lifestyle".

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I didn't realize how close it was to spinning out of control yesterday. They planned for up to 500,000 people to attend and got around 750,000. Fights along the streets, crushing crowds causing police to pull people over barricades as they were falling, shutting down the Belmont station after it got swamped and overcrowded. Sounds like for awhile the police and fire was at their breaking point, calling in units from other areas of the city and activating the city's emergency management operations.
Doesn't bode well for next May that the forces in charge can't read the news and weather and put two and two together. I mean, seriously, I saw the beautiful weather report, and read the news about New York's marriage law and it was obvious that attendance this year would completely eclipse past years.

If the CPD, CFD and CTA (who should have been running about 20-30% more trains than they were) can't manage that, than the G8 and NATO meetings very well may result in huge black eyes for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago