Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM

413 posts, read 832,939 times

Advertisements

There is a place we are thinking of leasing on Peoria right near that intersection. My wife loves the area and I like it too.

We like that its close to the loop, river north and also bars restaurants in Wicker park and West loop. Place is 1 block from Blue Line at Grand. There seem to be plenty of cute bars, restaurants, coffee within two or three blocks. Greektown is also only 6 blocks. Everyblock has pretty low crime numbers. New Jewel is only a couple blocks away. I can't really see a downside to the location.

Am I missing anything. How much do you think 1500 W. Grand is? There is a place I like there but the neighborhood seems significantly worse as you go west of Racine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
The downside of the location is the horrendous traffic that occurs pretty often on Halsted.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Depending on your block there also isn't much of a neighborhood feel compared to the other West Town neighborhoods nearby. It is a very commercial/warehouse area for the most part but it is well located with 10 minutes of very many things.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
There is a place we are thinking of leasing on Peoria right near that intersection. My wife loves the area and I like it too.

We like that its close to the loop, river north and also bars restaurants in Wicker park and West loop. Place is 1 block from Blue Line at Grand. There seem to be plenty of cute bars, restaurants, coffee within two or three blocks. Greektown is also only 6 blocks. Everyblock has pretty low crime numbers. New Jewel is only a couple blocks away. I can't really see a downside to the location.

Am I missing anything. How much do you think 1500 W. Grand is? There is a place I like there but the neighborhood seems significantly worse as you go west of Racine.
I think it is a really good location, and I personally like the fact that it is not all spit-polished swank.

The strip just west of the expressway is most of what remains of the old Italian neighborhood, and you still see some signs of it, even today.

Overall, I really don't see much not to like about that area.

On a sidenote, I am VERY curious if the "Salernos" on Grand is any relation to the one (was it 16th street?) in Berwyn. If anyone knows, chime in.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
On a sidenote, I am VERY curious if the "Salernos" on Grand is any relation to the one (was it 16th street?) in Berwyn. If anyone knows, chime in.
That Salernos is related to the ones in Oak Park, Bolingbrook, Burr Ridge, and Glenview.
http://www.salernospizza.com/

The way I understand it is another member of the Salernos family operates the location on Grove in Berwyn (which is called "The Original Arnie Salernos"). I think he also runs a location in St. Charles, and I had heard he also might have one in AZ somewhere

Its all kind of confusing but yea, I think they're all in the family. If you go to the Grand location the menu refers to itself being a descendant of the original 16th street joint.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
BTW, whats the deal with the large, decaying wooden building at this intersection? What used to be there, and are there any plans for it?

it would be nice to see it restored, but it looks to be in pretty bad shape.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Yeah - the area seems a bit bleak, but is a great location close to a lot of great areas.

For a long time the building(s) at the corner was a warehouse for a restaurant supply company, not sure if it still is. There was a fire there about 6 or 7 years ago, the building may be empty now.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,717 times
It's fine, there's just not much there. If I remember right, there used to a be a terrific restaurant there called Timo, but it closed. But the area is safe, it's just a little empty, oddly.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post

I think it's the same people as the 16th St. Salernos. When I was in the one on Grand I was chatting with the owner or manager, a woman about my age, she was from Resurrection in Austin (like me) and we talked about the old Salerno's in Berwyn, I got the impression it's the same people.

The pizza is the same.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:48 PM

413 posts, read 832,939 times
I meant to say " How much worse do you think 1500 W. Grand is?". I am thinking that I would want at least a 10% discount versus 900 W. grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago