Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,127,929 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised so many have listed Hyde Park. Obviously, I read some negative info about it at times here.

I'm in Boston and the closest I was (very short March trip to Chicago) to HP, I guess, was U.S. Cellular Field, driving by just as sunset kicked in. Seemed safer than I was expecting. It wad a Sunday. How far is the ballpark ftom any part of HP?

Would you folks who listed it like to live in almost any part of HP, or just visit select areas there? Just curious...

Looks like HP is getting a Whole Foods Market. Is it already under construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,116,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Albany Park and Avondale actually never meet. Irving Park is between them.
But if they did meet, imagine the hot times they'd have!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm surprised so many have listed Hyde Park. Obviously, I read some negative info about it at times here.

I'm in Boston and the closest I was (very short March trip to Chicago) to HP, I guess, was U.S. Cellular Field, driving by just as sunset kicked in. Seemed safer than I was expecting. It wad a Sunday. How far is the ballpark ftom any part of HP?

Would you folks who listed it like to live in almost any part of HP, or just visit select areas there? Just curious...

Looks like HP is getting a Whole Foods Market. Is it already under construction?
Like 4 or 5 miles -- not close at all. Hyde Park is a nice, somewhat boring, neighborhood. Safety, from all I saw in the time I spent there, was of relatively little concern. Are you going to go to U Chicago? Or work there? I know others disagree probably, but based soley on where I am in life currently, unless I was commuting to the university, Hyde Park wouldn't be my neighborhood of choice. Simply because there aren't a lot of bars and its access to downtown and the north side at large isn't ideal. Safety certainly wouldn't keep me away, however.

Others can probably share more about the boundaries you'd want to stay in. I have a friend who lives down there, but I can't remember exactly what his cross street was anymore.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM

928 posts, read 1,703,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm surprised so many have listed Hyde Park.
Ditto. I'm also surprised to see more than one person named Irving Park. I happen to like it, but it's not one of the Chicago chic North side hoods that everyone seems to live and die by. Glad to see IP has gotten some appreciation.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

994 posts, read 1,820,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Obviously. But for areas I'd like to live it it would be located between the two to be able to easily get to places like Hot Doug's, Smoque, Semirami's, Sahar Market, Kuma's, Square Bar, etc. Somewhere along the Blue Line close to Mirabell's could work quite nicely. Sorry If I was unclear in how I defined areas, strict neighborhood boundaries aren't the best way to choose where to live.
I understand. I was just saying. So in other words you'd like to live in Irving Park.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,820,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Ditto. I'm also surprised to see more than one person named Irving Park. I happen to like it, but it's not one of the Chicago chic North side hoods that everyone seems to live and die by. Glad to see IP has gotten some appreciation.
IMO I think Irving Park is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city. It's diverse, very safe, good mix of housing stock. It also sports very expensive areas that are more polished and posh (think Old Irving Park) and areas that are very middle class and also very affordable. It has a budding bar scene too. If you go by Irving Park and Sacramento you will see what I mean. It has a great mix of young adults, families, minorities, etc. Nice parks, good public transportation for the most part and you are fairly close to all the popular neighborhoods.

The only problem with this neighborhood? The atrocious traffic on Irving Park.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,116,350 times
My list:

Rogers Park
Southport
River North
Lincoln Square
Pilsen
McKinley Park
Lakeview
Chinatown
Andersonville
Wicker Park

Runners up:
Ukrainian Village
Lincoln Park
Taylor Street
Little Village
Logan Square
Evanston

Places people might expect me to like but I don't have any special affinity for:
Hyde Park
Streeterville
Bucktown
Jefferson Park
Edgewater
Uptown
West Gate
Greektown (although I do like the food on occasion)
Oak Park
Bridgeport
Ravenswood

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM

110 posts, read 249,492 times
1. Ukrainian Village
2. Lincoln Square
3. Wicker Park
4. Mayfair
5. Portage Park
6. Logan Square
7. Loop
8. River North
9. Whatever neighborhood the fun part of Devon Ave falls into (I honestly don't know)
10.Old Town

Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,916 times
West Town
East Village
Noble Square
Eckhart Park
Near-near Northwest Side

Runner up:
Pulaski Park

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Runners up:
Ukrainian Village
Lincoln Park
Taylor Street
Little Village
Logan Square
Evanston
Remember, this isn't about ranking ANY suburban communities just over the border from Chicago or not too far outside city limits, as much as it may be tempting to do.

Anyway, mine in no order, and within the city limits(don't feel like trying to specifically rank them #1 to #10. and gosh, this won't be easy to do):
-Hyde Park(btw if Hyde Park is indeed finally getting a Whole Foods, that's great news, though I hadn't heard of this rumor till now. HP has LONG deserved to have more than just 1 grocery store.)
-Beverly
-Lincoln Square
-Sauganash
-Edgebrook
-Portage Park
-Roscoe Village
-Chinatown
-Edison Park
-Bridgeport

Honorable mentions:
-Pill Hill(probably much b/c of the fact I once knew someone who lived in this area long ago)
-Pullman
-West Ridge(btw deadplant, this is the neighborhood you were trying to think of that has the Indian/Pakistani business district of Devon Ave., and it also includes Indian Boundary Park, and the often overlooked historic residential areas just north of Pratt/Western and Warren Park.)
-Avondale
-Roscoe Village
-Galewood
-West Town
-Pilsen
-Garfield Ridge
-McKinley Park

Neighborhoods that I've either had very little experience visiting(this is true for at least the first, though I'd like to visit it eventually), nor care for:
-Hegewisch
-Humboldt Park(the park of course is great, one of my favorites in the city as a matter of fact. just have never cared for the surrounding residential neighborhood at all, nor its crime issues.)
-Uptown(Buena Park is the only part of that neighborhood I like)
-River North
-University Village
-Wicker Park(much as I love the businesses down there, it's a neighborhood I'd NEVER want to live in. and that's even if I had the money to possibly do so.)
-Albany Park(excluding the Ravenswood Manor section)

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 08-09-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago