U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 AM

42 posts, read 108,016 times

Advertisements

I heard that 45 days from your move in date is best, but I am still not finding as much on craigslist or the reader for Aug 1 move ins. I know a lot of the July 1 move ins are negotiable for Aug 1, but when would be the ideal time, from your experience, to come back to the city for another round of apartment hunting for an Aug 1 move in?

Due to airfare, I was thinking around July 7, but I am worried that may be too late to find places that meet our criteria for Aug 1.

Our criteria (again)
1. Safe
2. short walk, short bus ride (less than 10 min) to grocery and to cta line (preferably brown line)
3. nothing higher than 2nd floor in a walkup
4. good management
5. laundry in building
6. not an active nightlife area, but some enough interesting shops and restaurants to keep the area from being boring. (Andersonville on Clark between Bryn Mawr and Edgewater is my best example)

We are trying to focus our search on the Andersonville, Lincoln Sq., Ravenswood, North Center areas, so if anyone has thoughts about "bad" areas in that vicinity, please let me know. I check all the addresses in everyblock, but sometimes you just don't know if 6 non-violent crimes in a month in that area means it is safe. I guess everything is relative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 AM

1,950 posts, read 4,713,891 times
I rented my last place about 45 days out, if its mid month and the landlord doesnt have any serious interest I would think they would wait for you... Since you just about know where you want to live you shouldnt have any problems finding a place. You might have to settle for higher rent and or a place that isnt 'perfect' since you dont really have all the time in the world

Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 19,233 times
I have a related question. I'm planning to come to town next weekend to find an apartment for an August 1 move-in date. How soon is too soon to start calling landlords about scheduling showings? I'm from Ohio, where you can pretty much schedule a showing a month in advance because nothing moves that quickly. I'll probably call places on Monday, but I don't know if any of the landlords will agree to schedule anything because they expect to have the places rented by Friday (although this seems unlikely to me because I've seen a lot of the same places for rent for the past month and a half).

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,139,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance7 View Post
I have a related question. I'm planning to come to town next weekend to find an apartment for an August 1 move-in date. How soon is too soon to start calling landlords about scheduling showings? I'm from Ohio, where you can pretty much schedule a showing a month in advance because nothing moves that quickly. I'll probably call places on Monday, but I don't know if any of the landlords will agree to schedule anything because they expect to have the places rented by Friday (although this seems unlikely to me because I've seen a lot of the same places for rent for the past month and a half).
When I moved up from out of town I only flew in for one day to find an apartment so I made sure to schedule appointments with the landlords/realtors at least 10 days in advance to assure that their schedules were not booked. If you intend to go to an agency I would make that your very first stop around 8 or 9am since they normally take forever asking you questions about your requirements and searching their database.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,779,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchicago View Post
I heard that 45 days from your move in date is best, but I am still not finding as much on craigslist or the reader for Aug 1 move ins.
There are no set rules, but I think 60-70 days is when you should start to set up appointments and 45 days is when you should start looking at pulling the trigger on a place. It is also a good idea to have a follow up visit to sign a lease about 15-20 days out from moving in, and then use that time to look for last minute deals before signing the lease.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 25,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchicago View Post
I heard that 45 days from your move in date is best, but I am still not finding as much on craigslist or the reader for Aug 1 move ins. I know a lot of the July 1 move ins are negotiable for Aug 1, but when would be the ideal time, from your experience, to come back to the city for another round of apartment hunting for an Aug 1 move in?

Due to airfare, I was thinking around July 7, but I am worried that may be too late to find places that meet our criteria for Aug 1.

Our criteria (again)
1. Safe
2. short walk, short bus ride (less than 10 min) to grocery and to cta line (preferably brown line)
3. nothing higher than 2nd floor in a walkup
4. good management
5. laundry in building
6. not an active nightlife area, but some enough interesting shops and restaurants to keep the area from being boring. (Andersonville on Clark between Bryn Mawr and Edgewater is my best example)

We are trying to focus our search on the Andersonville, Lincoln Sq., Ravenswood, North Center areas, so if anyone has thoughts about "bad" areas in that vicinity, please let me know. I check all the addresses in everyblock, but sometimes you just don't know if 6 non-violent crimes in a month in that area means it is safe. I guess everything is relative.
My last apartment was in North Center (on Cuyler near the Damen/Irving/Lincoln intersection), and I loved the area. It is a block and a half from the Brown line, a 7 block walk (less than 10 minutes if you take the Damen bus to Lawerence) to the Ravenswood Metra, a four block walk to Jewel and a block walk to CVS. We were on the 2nd floor of a walk-up and paid 1300 for a 2br/den/1.5 bath/laundry in building etc; we found the place on Craigslist about a month out. You may want to try and walk around the area, because there were several for rent signs on my block, and many of them were walk-ups being rented by owners, vice management companies.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 AM

8 posts, read 26,082 times
I highly agree... we're looking in that area and a couple others and have found stuff you'll never see on Craigslist just walking around. The Internet isn't everything to everyone, some of the buildings are managed by people who have no idea how to use a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>