Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,048 times

Advertisements

does east hyde park see more violence and trouble than west hyde park?

i was reading the paper and saw this

"About an hour later, two men were shot in the 1700 block of East 56th Street in the East Hyde Park neighborhood, police said. Those victims, both believed to be in their 30s, were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital or University of Chicago Medical Center. One of those men was wounded in his abdomen and leg, while the other was wounded in his foot, police said."

plus that lady was killed in hyde park a few weeks ago, i know this doesnt happen too often in hyde park but if it does does it happen more in the east section of it or west section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,201 times
No, it isn't that simple. West is worse starting maybe around Ingleside or Drexel, particularly north of 53rd. But west of the east part -- e.g. Ellis to the tracks 59th to 55th -- is actually the safest area. East is actually pretty good regardless of how far north or south your are, with some exceptions here and there. South of the midway is sketchy.

Best to ask about a specific area.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Chimack: Why don't you enroll in a Criminology program. You seem to have a natural fascination with violent crime.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
What is the dividing line? In my mind the core of Hyde Park is pretty small, and east /west distinctions are somewhat meaningless.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:25 PM

In the core of Hyde Park, the so-called "Golden Rectangle" (ie White Rectangle) that I outlined above, I agree that east-west distinctions are pretty meaningless. Outside of that east-west still isn't really the best way to think about the area as a whole. I can say though that east of Hyde Park Boulevard is generally a pretty good area. I cannot say the same about west of Drexel, though it isn't uniformly bad either.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
I say West Hyde Park is the worse since its closer to the rough areas. Either way, Hyde Park is not bad at all.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Chimack: Why don't you enroll in a Criminology program. You seem to have a natural fascination with violent crime.
I'd love to see him explain why he feels the need to create a new thread in an online forum dedicated to a city he doesn't live in, in order to catalogue every crime or negative story he comes across.

It'd be one thing if he were to ever accompany it with some geniune dialogue and insight, but that's never the case. Usually just a link and a brief question, if even that much.

It's obnoxious.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM

No ****. I thought at least he was looking to buy a place in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'd love to see him explain why he feels the need to create a new thread in an online forum dedicated to a city he doesn't live in, in order to catalogue every crime or negative story he comes across.

It'd be one thing if he were to ever accompany it with some geniune dialogue and insight, but that's never the case. Usually just a link and a brief question, if even that much.

It's obnoxious.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
East Hyde Park is east of the Metra tracks from 47th st. through Indian Village down to 57th street. West Hyde Park happens to be the area bounded by 55th street, Cottage Grove, Woodlawn and 51st street.

That's two distinctly different areas, separated by central Hyde Park. East Hyde Park is heavily student-inhabited. The crime mentioned happened in East Hyde Park, near the museum. It sounds like some revelers near the lake had a disagreement.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
East Hyde Park is east of the Metra tracks from 47th st. through Indian Village down to 57th street. West Hyde Park happens to be the area bounded by 55th street, Cottage Grove, Woodlawn and 51st street.

That's two distinctly different areas, separated by central Hyde Park. East Hyde Park is heavily student-inhabited. The crime mentioned happened in East Hyde Park, near the museum. It sounds like some revelers near the lake had a disagreement.
I think 51st is the border for East Hyde Park too, no? Kenwood extends all the way to the lake but the area between 47th and 51st has maintained its middle and upper middle class residents (as opposed to between 43rd and 47th) so it does tend to blend in well with Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: