Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times

Advertisements

make sure you vote no on Judge Fleming next time, he is the judge that passed down this Verdict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 AM

204 posts, read 761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Didn't the "cop" know that he was a cop, seriously have some type of integrity. Beating woman is not cool, it doesn't matter how you slice it- the same goes for Chris Brown
Ok, im not defending the guy. he is a piece of s$it. I did more to bring down the city then any. But the fact is, he didnt deserve 5 years for beating up someone. I could have went with 30 days in jail but no more. Cozzi is the one that got f@cked. What happened to him is stuff you see happening in countries like Iran. Where you serve you sentence and then get indicted for the same crime and get more time.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM

67 posts, read 247,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
OH MY GOD!!!! A drunk person didnt go to jail after slapping someone around!! OH MY GOD!!!! THE TWO GANGBANGERS WHO SHOT AND KILLED Officer Alejandro Valadez EARLIER THIS MONTH WERE ON PROBATION FOR GUN CHARGES AND NEVER SERVED JAIL TIME!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! THEY VIOLATED THEIR PROBATION NUMEROUS TIMES AND WERE NEVER SENT TO JAIL!!!OH MY GOD!!! I THINK THESE TWO WORTHLESS AND PENNILESS GANGBANGERS PAID OFF THE JUDGE!!!!!OH MY GOD!!!!! Seriously, you people need to get you priorities straight. Why dont you talk about something that actually is worth talking about.

I hope a cop beats up your wife/daughter.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
I've posted my general thoughts on "cops" a bit. I think if anyone has read them, they know I'm the furthest thing from a mindless cop supporter. I'd admit I incline harsh towards them.

With that said, I don't think this sentence is all that out of line.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he had no prior criminal record, correct?
There wasn't any permanent damage done to the victim, and he's now a felon? Correct?

Punishment enough. If I had to choose between a year in prison on a misdemeanor or a felony conviction with probation, give me the year all ****ing day. Felonies are usually life ending- unfairly so- especially for someone whose career prior to the conviction was as a police officer. What he is now saddled with is punishment enough for getting drunk and slapping someone around.

Yes, it was pretty bad and yeah, the guy is an *******, but given the circumstances involved- emotions aside (which is hard to do in cases like this) probation and a felony tag is adequate, even though the ancillary consequences of the felony conviction aren't fair. The best way to judge cases like this is to step back from the aggrovators and ask yourself how a jury should vote if all things were equal, but the person being judged was a loved one?

Be objective and consider the totality of their life. Is what they did so bad that they deserve the worst possible punishment? Or did they make a single, drunken bad decision- the consequences of which weren't 'life altering' in any way- that isn't reflective of who they otherwise are as a person?

With that said, it works both ways. Cops can't be mindlessly hard-assed dicks and keep a "THROW THE BOOK AT 'EM!" mentality about everyone else, but considerate of the minutiae when it's one of their own in the wrong, just as people who recognize the flaws in the justice system can't be considerate of the details and compassionate when it's Joe Sixpack in court, but out for blood when it's a cop.
So it's okay if there is no permanent damage and if it was a first time offense. Talk about a weak and silly retort. Correct me if I'm wrong but do you require long term damage if the act is caught on tape in which the person is being physically pummeled? Does pain and suffering not account for anything? Does the person's intent not account for anything? There are a lot of victims in our society that incurred no long term damage yet their perpetruators were given jail time.

The point of punishing people is to protect society and provide a deterrant. How is this a deterrant to any police officer watching this. If anything it provides the opposite message and says you can take your frustrations out on the public and nothing will happen to you. Some of you are using hyperbole as a weak defense such as childishly accusing all of us as saying we want to throw the book at him. How is asking for any jail time the same as "throwing the book" at him. Obviously, you want to defend this cop at all costs and are resorting to unintelligent and unsubstantiated arguments to justify this ruling. Pathetic

Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
I hope a cop beats up your wife/daughter.
You want to come to my house on the NW Side and say that to my face???

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
So it's okay if there is no permanent damage and if it was a first time offense. Talk about a weak and silly retort. Correct me if I'm wrong but do you require long term damage if the act is caught on tape in which the person is being physically pummeled? Does pain and suffering not account for anything? Does the person's intent not account for anything? There are a lot of victims in our society that incurred no long term damage yet their perpetruators were given jail time.

The point of punishing people is to protect society and provide a deterrant. How is this a deterrant to any police officer watching this. If anything it provides the opposite message and says you can take your frustrations out on the public and nothing will happen to you. Some of you are using hyperbole as a weak defense such as childishly accusing all of us as saying we want to throw the book at him. How is asking for any jail time the same as "throwing the book" at him. Obviously, you want to defend this cop at all costs and are resorting to unintelligent and unsubstantiated arguments to justify this ruling. Pathetic
Feel bad for the girl if you want. I dont. As far as I concerned she is getting millions from the city for this so I dont feel bad about it. I feel bad for the tax payers. She wasent hurt. Not to mention it was illegal for her to be working at the bar anyway. Shes an illegal. And also, the damage someone does to someone else does play a big part on how much times the person gets. Obviously if you beat up someone and he dies or becomes paralyzed is a little different then not even having a bruise on your face which she didnt.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
You want to come to my house on the NW Side and say that to my face???

Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Lmao that nerd kid is funny on youtube.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
[quote=scottl333;9434170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually he wasent armed and he didnt beat the crap out of her. He was off duty and she didnt even know he was a cop. Why dont you look at pictures of her face after the incident. He never even got a clear hit on her.
Well, since he didn't get to break her eye socket or anything like that, he should have just walked.

We can't expect cops to exercise any self control, can we?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
This guy served over 20 years in the military, was a war vet and was a good cop.
He was NOT a good cop. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago