Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM

38 posts, read 87,498 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

This is my first post on what I am finding to be a very helpful site! I currently live in Edgewater but I'm looking at some homes in Albany Park with my GF. We're checking out other areas as well, but are a little uncertain about the neighborhood of Albany Park. I like the diverse mix of the area, its proximity to the L system, and the architecture, but I'm not sure if my GF and I would be welcomed/tolerated/viewed with hostility. We're not expecting Edgewater, but we also don't want to have to be on the defensive in the area that we decide to call home.

We're not flag-wavers and I don't own a single item of clothing with a rainbow on it, but we are a lesbian couple that would be living in an area with lots of families and newer immigrants. Any opinions? Any gays/lesbians living in this neighborhood?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,213,612 times
No one gives a ..... there.
I seen a decent amount of gays there.
Not a lot, but they weren't too rare.

What part you moving to, btw?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Thank for the response.

We're looking at a couple different places. I've read that most folks say it is a block-to-block neighborhood, but one of the places is a few blocks west of Drake, just south of Lawrence. Not too far from Jensen Park. It seemed that folks took care of their places quite nicely, but I also thought I saw a bit of graffiti on a sign that could've been a gang tag but wasn't sure. Another property was near Lawrence and Lawndale.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,848 times
I know a lesbian couple with children that live around Montrose and Kedzie and they have never been harassed. They are friendly with their neighbors and no one seems to notice or raise an eyebrow. It is different than Andersonville and Boystown obviously but you will be fine in your day to day life. I would just avoid PDA in some of the Middle-Eastern/Arab owned businesses as they seem to be more conservative then the Asian and Latino businesses.

Albany Park is a great area and the diversity and variety of cuisines and businesses can't be beat.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Well those exact streets are a gang's "turf"
But it's nothing to worry about...
Like you said mostly good people and families... they outnumber anything gangs do.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I know a lesbian couple with children that live around Montrose and Kedzie and they have never been harassed. They are friendly with their neighbors and no one seems to notice or raise an eyebrow. It is different than Andersonville and Boystown obviously but you will be fine in your day to day life. I would just avoid PDA in some of the Middle-Eastern/Arab owned businesses as they seem to be more conservative then the Asian and Latino businesses.

Albany Park is a great area and the diversity and variety of cuisines and businesses can't be beat.
Quit stealing my thunder.
This is my neighborhood

Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM

Green, you might want to ask Venom if there is a lot of noise near the Kimball stop. I know end of the line locations tend to be noisier than the other stops because trains switch tracks there and are also stored but because the brown line isn't 24 hours any noise would quiet down after 12:20 or whenever the last line is.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Quit stealing my thunder.
This is my neighborhood
I paid you homage in my last comment. No woman, no cry.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 PM

732 posts, read 2,970,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Green, you might want to ask Venom if there is a lot of noise near the Kimball stop. I know end of the line locations tend to be noisier than the other stops because trains switch tracks there and are also stored but because the brown line isn't 24 hours any noise would quiet down after 12:20 or whenever the last line is.
It's technically not 24 hours, but even after the last trains leave to the loop after midnight, they run a shuttle from Kimball to Belmont until around 2, and then service to the loop starts up again at 4.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks Surlycue - it's at least six blocks from the Kimball stop so I wouldn't think this would be an issue but, Venom, do you think noise might be a concern?

We had a good feeling in this neighborhood. I did an everyblock.com search on the areas and the type of crime was what you see in almost all city neighborhoods, a few car vandalisms, simple assault, drug possession. Didn't seem to be that many occurrences though. Would it be okay to walk your dogs (small ones and both more defenseless than I) in the evening? I'm not talking past 10 or anything. Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: