U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,922,407 times

Advertisements

OMG... Look at how bad bike thefts are in Chicago!

Chicago Stolen Bike Registry

I even lock up my $9000 CF Cervelo Soloist Team with Zipp 404's! - But on Michigan Ave / Water Tower only! - Did it by Macy's Downtown and Holy Name Cathedral too!

Stolen at busy Navy Pier but he used a combination cable lock [these are usually weak].

Mongoose MOZO Vibe Mountain Men's Bike Duel Suspension 24 Speed | Chicago Stolen Bike Registry

I'm gonna be locking with 2 U Locks now most of the time!

This Wicker Park theft is surprising too! http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/183755

If you have Allstate Home Insurance you can insure your bike under "Sporting Goods."

Last edited by Jesse69; 06-28-2009 at 06:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,832,634 times
Hahaaha, serves them right.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,625,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Hahaaha, serves them right.
?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,407,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm gonna be locking with 2 U Locks now most of the time!
U-Locks are useless.

YouTube - U-Lock Bic Pen Trick

Old 06-28-2009, 10:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,625,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
U-Locks are useless.

YouTube - U-Lock Bic Pen Trick
Thats why it is recommended you do not use the circle shaped keys.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM

That Bic pen trick workjed for the old Kryptonite Round Keyed U Locks. Then Krytonite did a major recall but they didn't honor every recall... like my 2 U locks.... So now I'll never endorse a Kryptonite U Lock.

Well, people should invest in a good U Lock because cable locks stink and are easily cut!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM

131 posts, read 332,906 times
So you have thousands upon thousands of dollars to spend on new bicycles but you're salty over having to buy two new U locks? Makes sense.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,868,267 times
That's odd, when I was there in December, I saw a bike unlocked just sitting there on the sidewalk with a police sticker posted on it from a week ago and almost been two weeks since the bike was sitting there. It was usable bike too.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 AM

504 posts, read 1,373,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
U-Locks are useless.
They don't make locks with that type of key anymore for precisely that reason. That was a crappy u-lock in the video anyway.

Bike theft is bad in New York, if you live there you don't leave your bike locked up outside for any length of the time if you can help it. They have guys walking around with power tools 24/7 looking for bikes. Here in Chicago it's not that bad. I use an OnGuard mini u-lock, locked like this (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/locktechnique1.jpg) to something solid and I haven't had any problems. Of course, any lock can be defeated, but if you buy a high end u-lock and lock your bike up properly you are ahead of about 90% of the bikes out there. Cheap u-locks (bell, masterlock) get busted through pretty quick with a jack or just some large bolt cutters. I see them on the ground all over. To get through my lock you'd need a battery powered angle grinder and like a half hour to loudly grind away at it. Thieves in Chicago don't usually bother with that because there are so many poorly secured, easy to steal, bikes around.

I could be wrong about this, but I think that it's still pretty rare for a high quality u-lock to be defeated in Chicago. Maybe that's changing, but I would still bet that 99% of bike thefts occur because the owner used a low quality u-lock (or any kind of cable lock) or locked their bike up to something unstable (like a chain link fence).

Still, I wouldn't leave a 9k bike outside in front of the Water Tower or anywhere else.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
So you have thousands upon thousands of dollars to spend on new bicycles but you're salty over having to buy two new U locks? Makes sense.
You're such an idiot... I deserved to get replacement U Locks from their recall and I didn't. This has nothing to do with how many bikes I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago