Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing a lot of apartments available in Little Italy. What is it like? (I know that is broad...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Depends. There are sort of two "Little Italy" areas in Chicago. The neighborhood generally most often thought of as "THE" Little Italy is part of the Tri-Taylor area around UIC. It has become what I call a "facade" neighborhood, meaning it retains the characteristics of an ethnic neighborhood even though relatively few people of that particular ethnicity still live there any more. (See also: Greektown with lots of Greek institutions but few actual Greeks, and Andersonville with lots of Swedish institutions but few actual Swedes.) Little Italy is a combination of UIC students with urban-sophisticate aspirations/tastes and 20- to 30-something professionals. There are some trouble spots near there, including one of the nation's oldest public housing projects. You'll generally want to stay north of Roosevelt Road and east of Damen or perhaps Western Avenue.

There is another neighborhood that some also call Little Italy but is more commonly known as Heart of Italy. It's truly one of the city's hidden gems. The social center of Heart of Italy is the corner of 24th and Oakley Avenues. Some of the best Italian restaurants in the city are found on the Oakley Avenue strip. There's an excellent tapas restaurant there too and a couple of places dishing up Italian shaved ice during the appropriate seasons. This neighborhood is less of a facade neighborhood -- there are quite a few Italians living in the area. It's also much smaller than Little Italy, and it is small, isolated island surrounded by a sea of urban uncertainty.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM

62 posts, read 201,417 times
Drover-so I guess California at Roosevelt is not one of the better places in this area? (Sorry to butt in!)

Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 PM

Probably not. I know there's a lot of new condo buildings going up in that area, but unless you want to be one of the "urban pioneers" I'd wait a bit on settling on that corner.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 12,372 times
Sorry for butting in as well- but I was looking at an apartment in Little Italy at the intersection of Loomis and Fillmore... how is this area (I'm a 20 year old female, just to throw that out there) as far as safety is concerned?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM

62 posts, read 201,417 times
I may just have to be a pioneer-the place has a yard and is across from the park (important with my two dogs), has parking, is not the size of a shoebox, and is not $3000/month. HMMMM.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkic33 View Post
Sorry for butting in as well- but I was looking at an apartment in Little Italy at the intersection of Loomis and Fillmore... how is this area (I'm a 20 year old female, just to throw that out there) as far as safety is concerned?
Come to think of it, tough to tell. That's right in a patchwork of "mixed income" housing, meaning part of it is market rate, part of it is reduced-rate, and a good chunk of it is good ol' public housing. It's a brand new development (well, they knocked down most of the old one and put this one in its place) and kind of an experimental replacement for the old "let's segregate poor minorities away from the general public and keep them in vertical warehouses" approach that obviously didn't work very well. You're one block off of a nice stretch of Taylor Street though; not sure how bad it can be.

Last edited by Drover; 04-18-2007 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
Drover, is there anything you don't know about Chicago?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Haha. No kidding, Drover is good. I'm seeking him or her out next time I move, and I've lived in the city proper for over 11 years and am usually the person in my circle of friends who people come to when asking about neighborhoods.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Thanks. I do make it a point to try to know as much about the city as possible, including getting a first-hand look. I just drove around in Bridgeport and Canaryville today to reassess the area. Still like Bridgeport, though I'm getting spoiled in my neighborhood full of single homes on double lots. Now all of a sudden Bridgeport feels crowded to me. Canaryville.... I got a little bit of a weird vibe from Canaryville, like it's white-knuckling it but could turn to the dark side if nudged hard enough. I noticed a few erstwhile thru streets have been cul-de-sac'd; that's usually a sign that they've had trouble and they're trying to keep more of it from coming into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago