U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 PM

89 posts, read 249,143 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this area? It's right by oak park, I'm looking into moving into the area because unfortunately I just got a new job in Addison and traveling from the north side of the city to Addison everyday takes me an hr to get to work and about 2 hrs to come back home in traffic...I don't really wanna move out of the city so I'm considering this area or Oak Park itself if worst comes to worst to cut down on my travel.

So let me know if your familiar with the area? is it safe? Is it near a train so I can hop on on the weekends to go into the city?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,006,246 times
I hope you aren't serious. Austin might be right by Oak Park, but it is no Oak Park.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,801,339 times
Its probably in the better part of Austin (aside from Galewood), but its generally not considered a particularly safe area. (Well, its probably safer than Englewood, Garfield Park, and North Lawndale.)

PS: Within TWO blocks of this address there have been two homicides in the last 60 days.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM

281 posts, read 855,100 times
I have a friend recently bought a house in that area where he lives with his wife and two small children, because it is pretty much the only area in the City he can afford to buy. It is improving rapidly because of people like my friend who want to make it a decent family neighborhood again. You will have your challenges and cannot be reckless, but it is not as bad as most here are making it out to be.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,006,246 times
I would love to see the listing for this place.

"Stunning, spacious apartment in up-and-coming East Oak Park"

Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I have a friend recently bought a house in that area where he lives with his wife and two small children, because it is pretty much the only area in the City he can afford to buy. It is improving rapidly because of people like my friend who want to make it a decent family neighborhood again. You will have your challenges and cannot be reckless, but it is not as bad as most here are making it out to be.
Good for him. Its people like that who are the hope for a better future in Austin. Still, I wouldn't advise anyone to rent there unless they had no other options.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM

89 posts, read 249,143 times
Thanks for the responses, I really had no idea the area was that bad, like I said I'm not familiar with it at all, all i know is the north side and north, northwest burbs...looks like thats not a good area for me since safety is my main priority. the apartment is really really nice though new construction but not worth it if the area is that crappy.
if renting in Oak Park, should I stay near Concordia/Dominican campuses?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nb0n View Post
Thanks for the responses, I really had no idea the area was that bad, like I said I'm not familiar with it at all, all i know is the north side and north, northwest burbs...looks like thats not a good area for me since safety is my main priority. the apartment is really really nice though new construction but not worth it if the area is that crappy.
if renting in Oak Park, should I stay near Concordia/Dominican campuses?
For the most "urban" living experience, live within walking distance of downtown Oak Park, (Lake St between Harlem and Oak Park Ave). You'll have easy access to restaurants, coffee shops, library, bookstores, Metra, and Green Line.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 AM

367 posts, read 1,108,171 times
This exact unit/complex/address is being advertised several times a week on Craigslist. The neighborhood/town the poster indexed it under is "Austin/near Oak Park". So it does come up on a search for Oak Park listings, but the poster is not being deceptive. Here is the listing in case you are curious. They look pretty nice, except the location of course.

LOCATION, LOCATION brand new condos (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1300109329.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: