Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 33,465 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family will be visiting Chicago for the first time at the end of July. I would love some suggestions from forum readers about the attractions we should check out. My kids are 8 and 11.

Should we do a traditional city tour or just wing it? Would love to do a segway tour, but the kids are too young.

Also, we have been told by friends to stay downtown. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated. We also would not be opposed to staying in a condo/vacation rental. Any pros and cons on that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmomm410 View Post
Hello, my family will be visiting Chicago for the first time at the end of July. I would love some suggestions from forum readers about the attractions we should check out. My kids are 8 and 11.

Should we do a traditional city tour or just wing it? Would love to do a segway tour, but the kids are too young.

Also, we have been told by friends to stay downtown. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated. We also would not be opposed to staying in a condo/vacation rental. Any pros and cons on that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Chicago!
You will LOVE it! If your kids are really young, Navy Pier and the Children's Museum are a load of fun! Also swimming at the Oak St beach. Also the city offers a great aquarium, planetarium and museums (Science and Industry is one of my faves) that you can spend a whole day enjoying. Also 2 world class zoos. You can also go out to Six Flags for a day at an amusement park but this will require a car most likely. The others you can use the subway, taxis or just walk to. There are lots of nightly and weekly condo rentals in Craigs list. Try to get a high floor with a view (the city BTW is trying to regulate this practice).

Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM

48 posts, read 102,172 times
For museums, I would definitely check out the Notebaert Nature Museum and the Chicago History Museum.

For a hotel, you can't beat the location of the Allerton, right on Michigan Ave: The Allerton Hotel Magnificent Mile Chicago | Located Downtown Chicago on Michigan Avenue

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are lots of nightly and weekly condo rentals in Craigs list. Try to get a high floor with a view (the city BTW is trying to regulate this practice).
I did a three-day weekend in a beautiful River North condo a couple years back for $80/night. It was a 2/1 with a full kitchen and pretty good views for cheaper than a hotel in the area would cost me. OP, it's definitely worth checking one of those out.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
I am probably the only loser who loves the Museum of Surgical Sciences and the Museum of Holography. Both satiate my kitschy curiosities. The kids might actually like the Museum of Holography for its retro value. They have a tiny hand held Michael Jordan projection that looks like something out of Tron. It is a super cheap ($3 or $4 if I remember correctly) way to kill an hour and then walk down to Randolph for some lunch afterward.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM

308 posts, read 757,636 times
Or visit Lincoln Park Zoo for a day? It's free, awesome that it's right in the city, and you can bring a blanket and some food and have a picnic.

Navy Pier would also be fun. Food, Ferris Wheel, and even just being by the lake. Also free fireworks on every Wednesday and Saturday night.

Take them up in the John Hancock. Go for lunch and the prices are fairly reasonable and it ends up being cheaper than buying tickets for the observation deck.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,294 times
I'd suggest staying in the loop.
That's the real heartbeat of everything, and located close to everything you'll want to see.
Don't fall into the false economy of paying less and getting less.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,193 times
You've got to see "The Bean". It's a huge sculpture close to the lake, your whole family will love it.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM

102 posts, read 364,857 times
We will be visiting in two weeks with 8 and 6 year old boys. We are flying into Midway and staying at the Embassy Suites right downtown (State Street). Any recommendations on the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? Also, any suggestions on authentic Chicago pizza and/or hot dog places in the area?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Before you do anything else, take one of the city tours, it will help you get a feel for the city. as well as some ideas of places to visit. Have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago