Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 44,057 times

Advertisements

Which best to live? Which safest? Which more culturally diverse?

Thanks!

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 40,985 times
My vote goes to Hyde Park.

UofC rocks!!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 75,023 times
A repost from my own previous response to a question about living in Hyde Park may shed light on your decision-making process....

Quote:
Originally Posted by palaceman71 View Post

Are you a party person?

If you aren't, Hyde Park is great. The museum is beautiful. There are also two golf courses that are cheap. A country club that has since been opened up to the public. Tons of beach space. Good (b.y.o.b) restaurants. An art gallery with rotating exhibits and intellectual occassions put on by the University of Chicago, which I hear is an Ivy League school with people from all over trying to get in. Tons of picnic areas, beautiful boat harbors. VISUALLY, it is the most beautiful part of all of Chicago in my opinion hands down and without the least bit of over-exaggeration.

If you are a party person, commute from some other neighborhood. (Buses and trains are cheap and easy to use.) Hyde park is on the southside and there aren't a ton of bars, restaurants nor clubs. Furthermore, much of Hyde Park is owned and operated by the University of Chicago and they keep a tight clamp on the number of liquor licenses, etc. The few bars they do have do not tend to be mixed crowds. You may be surprised to find that at some of the livelier places you may be the only one of your particular race there. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I don't mind and have made a lot of friends cuz people are still very nice. Or you may find that some of more college type bars (there's one) are very cliquey because, well, they are smarter than us.

I boil it down to one question so that you don't feel you're missing out on the experiences that the north side offers. Which traditionally is probably what the majority of people move to Chicago for; the hustle bustle, meeting new people, etc. goes on 20 minutes or more north of that Museum. But, if you want to walk a couple blocks to the beach with a good book though, you will be in heaven in Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago