Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'd actually favor an increase in the state income tax (make it two or three tiered with 4% and 5% brackets) if there was a corresponding reduction in the property tax. Our state disproportionately relies on the property tax for funding of government. The current system is great for high income earners, but really screws over retirees who can no longer afford their skyrocketing property tax bills.
An old friend who moved to NYC said that as obnoxious as a city income tax might seem, the fact that it is balanced by crazy-low property taxes is indeed a very stabilizing force.

If for no other reason than you can budget on your income & the taxes you pay - nobody can budget long term for the wild card that is Cook County's property tax system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM

48 posts, read 89,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
this effing city just keeps doing it. i got a $200 ticket in the mail today for a red light camera. apparently we turn right on red 3 months ago and they sent me a ticket. well...i had michigan plates and i'm guessing they sent it to my old michigan address and it never got forwarded.

awesome. so now what? i can't find a good number to call to see where they sent it and how to go about getting the fine reduced to the original amount.
You might want to look up the IL statutes that have the timeframe you have to obtain IL plates and change your driver's license info, etc. before you go through all this. I'm not 100%, but if your primary residence has been Chicago for a while, you may not find any sympathy from the city if they sent it to the wrong address.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
this effing city just keeps doing it. i got a $200 ticket in the mail today for a red light camera. apparently we turn right on red 3 months ago and they sent me a ticket. well...i had michigan plates and i'm guessing they sent it to my old michigan address and it never got forwarded.

awesome. so now what? i can't find a good number to call to see where they sent it and how to go about getting the fine reduced to the original amount.
Try to go here https://parkingtickets.cityofchicago...terTickets.jsp
Enter your ticket number and it should give you everything you need to know. Don't know if they'll reduce the fine considering how long you've been here though. Also, for those who don't know, you can purchase your city sticker, plate sticker, and renew your license (in some cases) online. Makes life much easier.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
If you park a car in Chicago for more than 30 days you need a city sticker regardless of where the car is registered.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM

71 posts, read 105,544 times
Finally got my city sticker last weekend at my aldermans office. There's nothing like spending 40 minutes in line to give the city $75, but I digress. As I'm a new resident who has lived here for 6 months and had their car tagged with Illinois plates 5 months ago (at the same time I got my drivers license), I was a bit worried they would ask me for a penalty, but not a question was asked.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
That's an awfully long time to wait for a sticker. Why not head to the Currency Exchange and wait like, 2 minutes?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
That's an awfully long time to wait for a sticker. Why not head to the Currency Exchange and wait like, 2 minutes?
I don't think you can get the sticker that has the parking permit portion on it. Also, it costs more at a Currency Exchange.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I don't think you can get the sticker that has the parking permit portion on it. Also, it costs more at a Currency Exchange.

Ah, I forgot that they needed the parking permit too. And it's an extra five bucks @ Currency Exchange. That five bucks is well worth the opportunity costs of standing around at the city offices.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM

110 posts, read 277,740 times
I'm not getting involved in the virtues of the City of Chicago mandating car owners to get a city sticker, but had a practical complaint. They must have changed the adhesive on the new city stickers from last year, because for some reason, my sticker WILL NOT STICK TO MY WINDSHIELD. What the heck? I better not get a ticket for a sticker that falls off when I'm parked on a city street.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
I better not get a ticket for a sticker that falls off when I'm parked on a city street.

Mine wouldn't stick well either but I made it stick; no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago