U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 16,371 times

Advertisements

We lived on VanVlissingen St from 1949(50) to 1957. It was my family's first house purchased on the GI bill. We finally outgrew it when my parents slept on the leaky porch with an occasional creature.
My memories are so warm. We children would be outside from morning to night. When darkness came, the mothers called the children in. We came running or on our bikes. We played in the empty lot across the street and climbed the trees but never ventured into the prairie behind altho watched an occasional prairie fire. We little kids used to go by ourselves up to the store on 100th street where we would buy milk or coldcuts and always had a nickel for penny candy. We had newly arrived Syrian neighbors on one side and the Cooks on the other. Mr. Cook had to sit in his car to smoke his cigar. Our neighbors were firemen, policemen, merchants, taxi drivers with lots of small children. I started in first grade at Oliver Goldsmith and had a lovely but shockingly poor education. During the air raid drills, we would shelter under our desks and then walk home, hoping to get there before the nuclear fallout. I will never forget the sense of freedom that we had there as children. As an 8 year old I would take the bus to meet my grandmother at 71st street for waffles and a movie. Of course, it was fifty years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,838 times
Manor Girl
We must have been neighbors although you are about 8 years younger than me and about five years younger than my sister. We also grew up on 100th and Paxton. Where on Paxton? My parents moved in 1972 or so-I was already in college but my sister was still living at home.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
I grew up on Yates Ave. Lived there, went to Our Lady Gate of Heaven. It is interesting to read the nostalgic notes of others who remember the neighborhood just as I do. I would go to the Mobile Library, would go to Benny's for penny candy. But here is a stickler, does anyone remember Leo the crossing guard at100th street, in front of the Maritime Hall?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:00 AM

29 posts, read 44,705 times
I lived in the Manor on 96th & Crandon from 2nd through 8th grade (I'm 32 now). I went to Luella... I have some happy childhood memories from that neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM

2,929 posts, read 5,708,577 times
I can certainly remember all of the places previously mentioned. I lived near the corner of 97th and Crandon. The walks to Luella cutting through the OLGH lot and getting chased, the soda's before Sol's closed their soda fountain. Mel Lewis the owner of the the Ace Hardware passed away recently as I found out via his daughter Karyn via Facebook. We played ball till dark in the middle of the streets in the summertime. I remember ice skating in the streets one year they all froze up. Otherwise we went to Bensley park on Yates to do so. The world changed, It wasn't just a neighborhood. The 50's and 60's were a magical time for the most part. After WWII the GI bill got many home purchased for those that inhabited the Manor and they were virtually ALL hard working solid American families concerned only with the welfare of their children and their educations. Getting around was easy and safe for a child back then. No child abductions, rapes etc. As I say it changed because the world changed. You can't turn the clock back I'm afraid. We do have our memories however which are priceless. My mother is coming up on 92 and my dad passed away 10 years ago. Most of that generation are either gone or soon to be gone so we all need to hang on to the great memories we accumulated in a very special place that once existed.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
Default Question for all?

Hello to all, I also lived in the neighborhood and have a question for everyone here. Was the parking lot on the south side of Luella always there, and was always the full size of the block? I recall a prairie field off 100th street, with the retail block just to the south (Sols, Grocerland, etc), and my memory sees a high grass field on the northwest corner of that block just where Luella property started. I lived there from 1957-1969.

Thanks much.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Well I can't speak to that, but I can remember when they began construction of the apartments across the street from Luella (I was in 1st grade with Ms. Sullivan so that would have been 1959-1960) and I understand they have already torn them down. They were the ones where Richard Speck killed those 8 nurses. I know they fixed up Bensley Park (what we used to call Yates park because it was on Yates). Did a lot of ice skating there in the winters. Were you one of those that chased after the mosquito fogging trucks in the summer? LOL

Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Default the empty lot

To us, the empty lot was heaven on earth, a playground with trees and no adults.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM

Default the empty lot

We moved out in 1957. The empty lot was there. There were two two-bedroom houses on that side of Van Vlissingen (a police officer and our friends) and then the two duplexes that were on 100th that faced the empty lot with the backs of the buildings. The rest was ours.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Geez you moved out during the Manor's "Hey Day". I found things optimum there from the mid 50's to about 1966. Oh well. You missed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago