Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 19,590 times

Advertisements

that would be your opinion. think not. the early years were the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
LOL the early years? Merrionette Manor/Jeffrey Manor wasn't even begun till 1948! Most people I knew in any way shape or form didn't get there till at least the early to mid 50's. The whole unique thing about the neighborhood was it's stability from it's inception until about 1967-68. Most folks were there at least from Kindergarten till 8th grade and many even stayed on into Bowen High School. We actually left not because of the racial shift but my moms best friend was moving north and wanted us to join them, as well as the fact I was about to enter High School and she wasn't real keen on me attending Bowen at the time. It was getting a bit rough and I wasn't a tough guy. But the stability that existed prior was unusual and a real treat. I suppose as the world changed so the neighborhood had to as well. Many who lived in the "Pill Hill" area experienced much the same from what I've seen. Those "formative" years are critical and very special if you can experience them in the same place without moving around and keeping the same friends. Oh well. There are a few books out about this phenomenon. Both the South Shore and the farther South Side were very unique places after WWII until the changes in the latter 60's. Just glad I had a chance to experience it when it was special.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Jm

That's a very common reply. The history of Chicago is another story. Rewriting it is really not the point of this thread. It's really to remember the nice part of how it was. I don't think this is a competition.

We were there when the houses went up - 1949. I was a child when we left, so leaving or not certainly wasn't my call. I remember it so affectionately. We were mostly all very happy there. It was a new beginning for some after the War, a continuing story for the parts of the neighborhood that had been there for many years before. As you may recall or not, the houses went up in a time when housing was very scarce. Soldiers came home from war and couldn't find apartments. Many coming home from the War like my father moved into the new housing in Jeffrey Manor on the GI bill . Some moved from the North Side where they'd been all their lives - going to the South Side was like moving to California. Unthinkable at that time.

So keep your good memories of the neighborhood. Mine are abundant.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Default history

And if you must laugh out loud, perhaps you should read about Block Busting and its history in Chicago. Jeffrey Manor was a big part and the actual history might change your opinion and keep you from laughing out loud. It wasn't funny.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
Oh I am well aware of the unsavory things that occurred in the Manor and South Side in general, that promoted it's demise. I'm not delusional by any means. As you say it had it's day. I had cousins that moved into the Manor right after it was being developed as well. They too left fairly early on (late 50's). My only point was that it remained pretty darn nice till after the mid 60's. My dad too was able to use the GI Bill to acquire the funding for the home we moved into. Most did from what I hear. I nearly laughed about your "like moving to California" comment. I guess for some it may have seemed like that. It certainly was geared to have everything you needed nearby. Back then our doctor even made house calls (imagine that) and his office was nearby. All the shopping needed could nearly be walked to which by today's standards was unusual I think. We walked to school (no buses needed). The South Shore of course was far more established much earlier on and although it was a short bus ride or drive seemed like another place as well. I think most that lived in the Manor would agree, indeed it was a unique and "different" place to be. I'm sure you'll dispute it but honestly our lives were a lot more like "Leave it to beaver" and "The Donna Reed Show" than it would seem possible.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM

26 posts, read 55,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manor girl View Post
I lived at 100th and Paxton from 1956-1971.
We must have been neighbors. I lived at 10022 Paxton in the early to mid 50s. I went to Goldsmith but moved to the suburbs when I was in 3rd grade.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,048 times
I lived in the manor on oglesby and we use to play running bases in the street all day long...good time no gangs at all.....May 8th I'll be 54 yrs young!

SPURG!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Hello,

I lived in Jeffrey Manor from 90-92 and my mom lived there up until around Sep 11, 01(Coincidentally) but i've always been curious about this neighborhood. I went to Luella elementary for 2.5 years and had some good and bad memories. I'm not trying to ignite a white flight discussion because like most other South Side neighborhoods, this one changed rapidly from white to black in a matter of 3 years or so(67-70). My neighbor was the first black in her entire street and when her teenaged son become friends with a white teenage girl, the family literally packed up and moved overnight. Obviously I lived there when it was black and it was a decent lower middle class neighborhood. It was pretty safe for children and there were about 4 parks as I remember. We had the GD's there but they really didn't commit random crimes or terrorize the neighborhood. I heard that its pretty bad now and that a lot of displaced Robert Taylor, etc, and Section 8 residents live there now and that it had deteriorated pretty badly. Obviously, I have nothing against these residents but that is the fact. I drove through there last year and it looked asthetically pretty nice. Basically this neighborhood has a lot of history and controversy, Richard Speck murdered those nurses back in 66 and it has brought up numerous white flight stories. I posted a couple of links below, i'm not sure if that's against the TOS, if so I apologize.

[URL="http://www.themediaoasis.com/flight/flight.htm"]The Online Novel -- Midnight Flight: Racism and Race on Chicago's South East Side in the late 1960s[/URL]

[URL="http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/yourhome/articles/children_of_white_flight_revisit_their_old_neighbo rhood.html"]Children of ‘white flight' revisit their old neighborhood[/URL]

Anyways, if anyone lived in Jeffrey Manor or currently lives there, please share your memories and stories of the area. I'm very curious of its past and present.

Thanks
I, too, lived in Jeffrey Manor on Chappel Ave. from 1965-70. I attended OLGH and left the school before 8th grade due to our move to the northside of Chgo. Jeffrey Manor was the best, most friendly neighborhood one could ever wish for. We knew the neighbors up and down the street from our house. If you needed help for something, one of the neighbors would be there for you. We also did not lock our doors (until the neighborhood began to change). It was very unfortunate. Most of the incoming black families were very friendly and made very good neighbors. Then the gangs began to move into the area and we had an attempted break-in. That incident greatly influenced our decision to move. It was very sad to leave this neighborhood which gave us many great memories..........

Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,732 times
I grew up in Hyde park and purchased a home on yetas in 2008. What a culture shock! There is so much violenece there and I am now trying to move. Its not even safe to walk to the #14 on 100 and yates. And whats up with the 100 bus?????? It needs to run all night! Does anyone know it that are used to be a millitaru base of some sort??

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,732 times
DID it used to be a military base berfore the houses were developed in 49?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago