Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 24,192 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm moving from North Carolina to Chicago within the next week. My apartment is on North Kenmore off the Bryn Mawr red line stop. My mom and I are flying into O'hare and she is looking for what would be the best way to get there. I suggested we take a cab there which was okay, but then she changed her mind because she doesn't want to spend a lot of money. If we did take a cab there do you know what the price range might be? I'm looking up online about the prices, but I figured I would ask in here too. As far as taking a train, we would have to take the blue line all the way downtown, then back up on the red line right? When I visit a friend of mine we always get off of the montrose blue line stop and then take the bus to his apartment. So I was wondering if there is a bus that would drop us off pretty close to my apartment at all? I appreciate your help in advance, and hopefully everything will go smoothly as my mom has a habit of stressing and making things more complicated then needed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,426,735 times
If you need to do it by public transit I guess you could take the Blue line from O'Hare to Montrose and take the Montrose bus east to the Wilson red line stop (FYI- this stop is sketchy and may make your mom clutch her pearls) and then head north on the train. Montrose is a pretty residential street through much of that bus ride though so it may behoove you to take the Blue line one stop further south and take the Irving Park Express bus to the Sheridan Red line stop and then ride up from there.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,487,428 times
Take the Blue Line to Jefferson Park. Then take the Foster bus east to the Berwyn stop on the Red Line. Walk the rest of the way to your apartment after getting off the bus or continue with the Red Line north.

The Foster bus is way quicker than the Montrose bus and you don't have to transfer to the Red Line in the scummy area around Wilson.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 24,192 times
thank you, my friend lives off the Wilson stop so I'm pretty used to the area. I'll look into taking the Foster bus, sounds like the better route.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,208,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Take the Blue Line to Jefferson Park. Then take the Foster bus east to the Berwyn stop on the Red Line. Walk the rest of the way to your apartment after getting off the bus or continue with the Red Line north.

The Foster bus is way quicker than the Montrose bus and you don't have to transfer to the Red Line in the scummy area around Wilson.
hah I love how everyone forgets about Foster/Berwyn.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,063,327 times
Cabs from O'Hare to pretty much anyplace in the Chicago are fairly cheap. Not like the used to be, when I could get a cab from O'Hare to River North for $15, but still well under $40 unless you really get screwed.

If mom has anything more than an overnight bag she will really appreciate having a cab to stow that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: