Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,600 times

Advertisements

I found this site yesterday. Man, do I wish I had found it sooner. I moved to the area three months ago with work. I work in the Whiting, IN area. I am 30 and was born and raised in NW Ohio. When I was offered the transfer, I was excited. I had never been to Chicago, but have always loved city life. I wanted to move someplace convenient for work. I searched and searched. I make decent money, and was very intrigued by the Hyde Park area. It is close enough to the city, however, only a 20 min drive or so to work via the Skyway. So, I set my sites there. I looked and had a hard time finding something I liked. Finally, I came across a rehabbed condo in the Kimbark area. This area is right on the border of Woodlawn and the outskirts of Hyde Park. The place is amazing and reasonable. Brand new inside. I asked the owner of the building about the area. He said that it is the up and coming area...doctors and policemen live in the same area. They are cleaning up the streets and it is safe..no issues. Well lets see. It has been three months and I have had a $7000 motorcycle stolen from gated parking (yes, they lifted the motorcycle over the 8 foot gate somehow...a neighbor watched them????), and my car windows smashed in twice, for nothing. I don't keep anything in my car. I go to the city every weekend, I love it there. However, I really wish I had done more research before I let the granite counter tops and the new hardwood floors get the best of me. It is not worth worrying every day what will happen next and when. I am waiting for my lease to end so I can move closer to the city. I know there are the suburbs, but I am going to be here for three years and I want to enjoy myself during that time. So, if you are looking to move to the area, please do research! Ask your potential neighbors! Go to websites like this and the crime statistic sites! Don't be naive like me. I learned the lesson the hard way. And if anyone knows any areas closer to the city that might be fun yet safe, let me know. I am willing to drive up to an hour each way and can afford $2000 a month plus utilities. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,998,543 times
I think that many posters would agree a few blocks can make a world of difference in crime in many parts of Chicago. Kimbark is just one one of many streets like that. North of the cemetery there is some very nice rehab, but it is much better patroled by UofC police force north of 65th.

Venture south of the cemetary and things are much less likely to be noticed...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 66,869 times
Wow, I'm also new to the city and it's sad to hear your experiences. I'd recommend looking at the Ravenswood area, particularly near the Damen stop or certain areas off of the Montrose stop. We've found it pretty quiet so far, which is not to say that it's without all petty/property crime, but I feel quite comfortable being here and it's still close enough to downtown. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM

209 posts, read 587,586 times
Given the very high limit on what you'll pay, you might consider the south Loop. The area is overbuilt with new condos and apartments, so I'm sure there are relative bargains to be had. Being up there would add only 10-15 minutes to your commute, since you would be right next to Lake Shore Drive and southbound traffic is no big deal south of Grant Park. You would probably have to pay extra for parking, but again there are probably deals to be had. Plus, the parking would almost certainly be indoor and secured.

This is THE up and coming area of the city. The nightlife component is not yet what you'd find in comparable north side neighborhoods, but you'll still be closer to all of that.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I am really considering the South Loop area. I haven't started researching yet, however, I have heard good things. I am going to start looking in the next few months. After reading more and more here, I really think I am going to break my current lease and take the hit with the monetary penalties. I am pretty sure my landlord will understand seeing how his gated parking ( which he used as a huge selling point) has not been that effective. I know it isn't his fault, however, it is very frustrating.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,459,731 times
Sorry to hear the neighborhood you choose is not working out. Please don't be one of those douches that write off the whole city and area because of a few crap or shady neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 AM

273 posts, read 706,071 times
Why are there 3 or 4 different Kevin's on here?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,459,731 times
^ Good question. ^

I think someone needs to move out of mommies basement.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 AM

Ha, No I am not going to write off the city. I love it here. My problem will be trying to figure out how to persuade my company to let me stay here after my three years are up! I am in management and manage alot of different people with various backgrounds. I am the type of person that has lots of friends and few if any enemies. I thought that would help me here. I just think that staying where I am will get at me and change my views on people, which is the last thing I want. Maybe these were just three isolated occurances and nothing more will happen. I just find that hard to believe though.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
If anyone's thinking of moving to Chicago MOD CUT ~ read the rules

Last edited by linicx; 06-08-2010 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Not enought posts to make a recommedation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: