U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 13,792 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Well I never thought it would happen, but after 4 years down here I CAN NO LONGER STAND IT!! The list of things wrong with Miami (and south Florida in general) is getting longer and my tolerance for certain things is just no longer there. For example my local Wal-Mart, the greeter and most of the employees don't speak english... The general level of intelligence down here is very low, drivers are borderline ridiculous and most likely illegal/without insurance. I do love the weather though!

Now I would like to ask, is Miami to Chicago an extremely drastic change? Before I moved down here I lived in Ann Arbor Michigan so the weather isn't a huge factor for me... even though I do hate snow I can deal with it. I am a 22 year old gay male, will that be an issue in this city? Lastly which neighborhoods would be ideal for someone like myself to live in? I'm going to be buying a condo preferably in a highrise. I prefer to be around a mix of people, I'm mixed Black and Japanese myself so definitely no racism here. (I've seen a LOT of on this forum) Any help please?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,135,463 times
I moved here from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area a couple years ago. I do not like the weather in South Florida though but agree with you on most other things. If you are annoyed by Spanish language speakers around you though, this might not be the place for you. We many not have the Cuban population but I'd say around 1/3 of the city identify as Latino; whether it be Mexican, Puerto Rican and to a smaller degree Central and South American.

Many areas of the city are very urban, others allow for a bit more space with a little garden and less walkability but even the parts of the city that feel like the 'burbs vary a lot from Miami. Many people live in the city without a car and have for many years, something that is completely unheard of with the ocean to Glades sprawl in Miami-Dade cty.

On the Northside you will for the most part never feel uncomfortable as a gay man. There are some very accepting neighborhoods on the Southside as well but there are also some neighborhoods that are more traditional and even roughneck where you may not want to be if you are of a more flamboyant nature. Boystown (in Lakeview) and Andersonville/Edgewater are two neighborhoods on the Northside with large gay populations. Edgewater actually has the highest number of gay couples in the country. You shouldn't feel confined to those neighborhoods though. I volunteer with some GLBTQ organizations up here and the other workers run the gammut of neighborhoods.

Perhaps you could let us know a little more about the kind of lifestyle you lead or hobbies you like to get better suggestions. Do you like to drink, dance and party a lot or are you more of a homebody? What kind of work do you do and what are you looking to spend on an apartment?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,724,309 times
I used to live in South Florida. What area are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdwanted13 View Post
Hello everyone! Well I never thought it would happen, but after 4 years down here I CAN NO LONGER STAND IT!! The list of things wrong with Miami (and south Florida in general) is getting longer and my tolerance for certain things is just no longer there. For example my local Wal-Mart, the greeter and most of the employees don't speak english... The general level of intelligence down here is very low, drivers are borderline ridiculous and most likely illegal/without insurance. I do love the weather though!

Now I would like to ask, is Miami to Chicago an extremely drastic change? Before I moved down here I lived in Ann Arbor Michigan so the weather isn't a huge factor for me... even though I do hate snow I can deal with it. I am a 22 year old gay male, will that be an issue in this city? Lastly which neighborhoods would be ideal for someone like myself to live in? I'm going to be buying a condo preferably in a highrise. I prefer to be around a mix of people, I'm mixed Black and Japanese myself so definitely no racism here. (I've seen a LOT of on this forum) Any help please?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,724,964 times
Thread closed, those of you who have to ask yourself if you did something wrong in this thread? You probably did if your asking. Get some sleep and when everyone settles down and can have a civil conversation I will be happy to leave threads open.

Thread closed, for now.

Thread opened as of 5:48 P.M. 7-22-09 Central Time

Last edited by JoshB; 07-22-2009 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Thread opened

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I moved here from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area a couple years ago. I do not like the weather in South Florida though but agree with you on most other things. If you are annoyed by Spanish language speakers around you though, this might not be the place for you. We many not have the Cuban population but I'd say around 1/3 of the city identify as Latino; whether it be Mexican, Puerto Rican and to a smaller degree Central and South American.

Many areas of the city are very urban, others allow for a bit more space with a little garden and less walkability but even the parts of the city that feel like the 'burbs vary a lot from Miami. Many people live in the city without a car and have for many years, something that is completely unheard of with the ocean to Glades sprawl in Miami-Dade cty.

On the Northside you will for the most part never feel uncomfortable as a gay man. There are some very accepting neighborhoods on the Southside as well but there are also some neighborhoods that are more traditional and even roughneck where you may not want to be if you are of a more flamboyant nature. Boystown (in Lakeview) and Andersonville/Edgewater are two neighborhoods on the Northside with large gay populations. Edgewater actually has the highest number of gay couples in the country. You shouldn't feel confined to those neighborhoods though. I volunteer with some GLBTQ organizations up here and the other workers run the gammut of neighborhoods.

Perhaps you could let us know a little more about the kind of lifestyle you lead or hobbies you like to get better suggestions. Do you like to drink, dance and party a lot or are you more of a homebody? What kind of work do you do and what are you looking to spend on an apartment?
I guess I should have clarified that, I don't have ANY problems with hispanics. In fact all of my previous relationships have been with latinos, so no that doesn't bother me at all

I lead a very social and active lifestyle, I like to go to bars and clubs frequently/pick up dates and whatnot. As far as my demeanor i'm very masculine; I ride a motorcycle, practice muay thai, have a deep voice etc. lol i'm not worried about someone calling me out of my name or trying to start something on the street. I choose to live in or near gay friendly neighborhoods because I like to meet new people...I don't mind straight or lesbian but I obviously identify best on most things with others like myself.

As far as work i'm a bartender, and I don't think it'll be a problem at all finding work over there. I'm out of the apartment stage in my life i'm looking to purchase a condo now (somewhere around $200,000, 2 bed 2 bath).

Quote:
I used to live in South Florida. What area are you from?
I've been all over! Fort Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Wilton Manors, Aventura, North Miami Beach, South Beach and now...Bay Harbor Island. HUGE mistake moving here, it's like every uppity racist snob in the miami-dade county area packed their **** and moved onto this stupid island. How about you?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 AM

75 posts, read 189,448 times
I am about to move from Miami to Chicago myself. I don't know about the gay-friendly parts of Chicago, however I do know that Chicago has a more established LGBT community than Miami. Pretty much Belmont and Halsted, Andersonsville and a good number of neighborhoods on the Northside are filled with a lot of gay-friendly nightclubs, restaurants, businesses, etc.

Other than that - in terms of relocating; Chicago is much cheaper and affordable than Miami. I found a studio in Hyde Park for $650. Going rates of studios in Miami (Which you are most likely to find near Brickell Ave or Downtown Miami, South Beach, Miami Beach, Coral Gables and South Miami) is at least $900 and up and don't even have the amenities that you would get with an apartment in Chicago, i.e. free water, heat, and sometimes electricity and gas...$650 even for a studio in Hyde Park is relatively high, as you can easily get a studio in Edgewater, Lakeview, some parts of Lincoln Park, Uptown, Andersonville, Wrigleyville, etc for a good $500-$600 (but then again it might be around 300-400 sq. feet).

Moving to Chicago from Miami will be a drastic change on all fronts. Weather, transportation, demeanor of people, job market, etc. You will feel each season with a passion; you will become heavily reliant on the mass transit system (which is nothing comparable to the rinky dinky metro-rail in Miami), people are more sophisticated, educated and aggressive; you will find the job market a lot more diverse and well-structured versus Miami (which is heavily reliant on customer service and tourism). In terms of nightlife and various entertainment venues; Chicago pretty much is a mini-New York with an abundant source of jazz clubs, comedy clubs, blues clubs, live music venues, etc.

If I were you, I would dedicate maybe about a good month or two to really looking your reasons for moving, what type of employment you can gain, how much you are willing to spend for apartments and also actually visit the city and get to know each neighborhood that you like on an intimate level. Chicago is a city where its not just about the neighborhood, but also the block or street. You can easily go from bad to upscale in a matter of a couple of feet.

Other than that, if you are able to hustle and survive in Miami; Chicago should be easy. Miami is probably one of the hardest places to land a serious job. After I relocated from Atlanta back to Miami, it took me almost a solid year before I landed a pharmaceutical sales gig. Before then, I was hustling at different call centers (mind you I am a college graduate with 2+ years of sales experience). But, just stay on your A-game, never stop hustling and be on point with everything because Chicago will truly test your game.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,135,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Other than that - in terms of relocating; Chicago is much cheaper and affordable than Miami. I found a studio in Hyde Park for $650. Going rates of studios in Miami (Which you are most likely to find near Brickell Ave or Downtown Miami, South Beach, Miami Beach, Coral Gables and South Miami) is at least $900 and up and don't even have the amenities that you would get with an apartment in Chicago
You are comparing the most expensive parts of Miami with a pretty middle of the road Chicago neighborhood. Prices in Miami and Chicago are on par. Just like you can find older vintage "Old-Florida" one and two bedroom duplexes in Miami and Ft Lauderdale (like in the nicest older areas- Victoria Park/Sailboat Bend) for cheap and more modern places are much more expensive, the same rules apply here. Average studio prices in the more expensive areas of Chicago (Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, South Loop) will average more than $900 for a studio. One of my partner's co-workers lives in a 500sqft studio in South Loop and pays $1,300 a month including 1 parking spot. Gold Coast and the Loop will be more expensive than that.

Wrigleyville and Edgewater are not South Beach, not by any stretch. Take it from the people that actually live here when I tell you that prices are similar in both locations but overall you will end up paying more here because of state income tax, parking tickets, higher tax, tag and title fees, city sticker, permit sticker, 10+% sales tax, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Moving to Chicago from Miami will be a drastic change on all fronts. Weather, transportation, demeanor of people, job market, etc. You will feel each season with a passion; you will become heavily reliant on the mass transit system (which is nothing comparable to the rinky dinky metro-rail in Miami), people are more sophisticated, educated and aggressive; you will find the job market a lot more diverse and well-structured versus Miami (which is heavily reliant on customer service and tourism). In terms of nightlife and various entertainment venues; Chicago pretty much is a mini-New York with an abundant source of jazz clubs, comedy clubs, blues clubs, live music venues, etc.
Again, I don't think this is a fair comparison. Have you ever lived here? Chicago must seem like a wondrous and cultured land to those who have only ever visited and never been north of Chicago Av or south of Roosevelt. You may be surprised to learn that we too have un and undereducated residents, people that work in "menial" jobs or do not work at all, people who are fat and watch Bears games shirtless on their couches. We don't all have masters degrees or spend our Friday nights at the Goodman followed by Tru or Blackbird for dinner and martinis.

My rambling point is that PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE. There is no utopian place where everyone shares your views. There are *******s in Chicago that drive poorly too, just like Miami. There may be overall more options for nightlife here and that does give people more choices to try to associate with their own ilk but I think it gives an incorrect assessment to say that Chicagoans are more sophisticated or educated then Miamians. Please move here before you begin expulsing ignorant drivel. There are plenty of us on CD that do that too!

Last edited by surlycue; 07-23-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM

259 posts, read 792,626 times
I too am coming from S. Florida and have been going back and forth with moving to Chicago next summer. After living here for almost 3 years I am definitely ready to get out asap and am hoping for a more positive experience. After visiting Chicago seems to be a great city with a better vibe but I admit, I am terrified of those winters! Interesting thread! Thanks for the insight on the differences (positives/negatives).

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
You are comparing the most expensive parts of Miami with a pretty middle of the road Chicago neighborhood. Prices in Miami and Chicago are on par. Just like you can find older vintage "Old-Florida" one and two bedroom duplexes in Miami and Ft Lauderdale (like in the nicest older areas- Victoria Park/Sailboat Bend) for cheap and more modern places are much more expensive, the same rules apply here. Average studio prices in the more expensive areas of Chicago (Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, South Loop) will average more than $900 for a studio. One of my partner's co-workers lives in a 500sqft studio in South Loop and pays $1,300 a month including 1 parking spot. Gold Coast and the Loop will be more expensive than that.

Wrigleyville and Edgewater are not South Beach, not by any stretch. Take it from the people that actually live here when I tell you that prices are similar in both locations but overall you will end up paying more here because of state income tax, parking tickets, higher tax, tag and title fees, city sticker, permit sticker, 10+% sales tax, etc.

Again, I don't think this is a fair comparison. Have you ever lived here? Chicago must seem like a wondrous and cultured land to those who have only ever visited and never been north of Chicago Av or south of Roosevelt. You may be surprised to learn that we too have un and undereducated residents, people that work in "menial" jobs or do not work at all, people who are fat and watch Bears games shirtless on their couches. We don't all have masters degrees or spend our Friday nights at the Goodman followed by Tru or Blackbird for dinner and martinis.

My rambling point is that PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE. There is no utopian place where everyone shares your views. There are *******s in Chicago that drive poorly too, just like Miami. There may be overall more options for nightlife here and that does give people more choices to try to associate with their own ilk but I think it gives an incorrect assessment to say that Chicagoans are more sophisticated or educated then Miamians. Please move here before you begin expulsing ignorant drivel. There are plenty of us on CD that do that too!
While there are some veracity in terms of what you are saying - you have no clue as to the quality of life people have in Miami versus other cities. It is literally a city of extremes with no room for a serious abundant middle class to thrive comparable to places like Chicago, Washington D.C., Atlanta, etc. Most people in Miami either are well to do or are extremely poor. If you told me that you found an apartment in Miami for $700 and its a two bedroom, I'd think you were getting rent-subsidized section 8 assistance from the government. Chicago and the Midwest in General is 100x cheaper in the long run versus living in Miami. What if the poster decided to buy an apartment? Property taxes and homeowners' insurance in the State of Florida is the worse in the nation. What if the said poster gets a gig in Downtown Miami but lives in Dadeland- He'll be spending at least $3 a day alone on tolls. If you want an apartment in Miami - you most likely will have to live in Kendall, Dadeland/South Miami, Coral Gables, South Beach, Miami Beach, etc. Every places has ********s and idiots, but the average Miamian is a non-english speaking immigrant that made it over here by the graces of a racially-chauvinistic city government and elite political establishment that favors the majority Hispanic population.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Hispanics are not minorities in Miami. They are the clear majority and make decisions at all levels within both the judicial, political and business sectors. Most cops are Spanish, most Judges, business owners, etc are spanish. The sizeable jewish population you speak of really have nothing to do with the overwhelming control that most Hispanics (mainly Cubans) have over the city.

I mean, Miami is a nice place to have a vacation; but who in the hell wants to live in Miami where you get paid $25k for an inside sales gig that will pay you $35k in Atlanta yet your rent is almost double!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>