Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times

Advertisements

I don't think you or your children would encounter any real problems with any of the nicer neighborhoods. Its more a question of affordability. You might be able to find a decent 2 br for $1000, but it'll take some hunting around, coupled with the fact you'll probaby want to restrict your search to the neighborhoods w/in good k-8 school attendance boundaries.

There's been a number of threads on Chicago public schools on this board with some good information about that, you should search for those and read through them to get an idea about where you should be focusing, if the city is a feasible possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times
Oak Park is a good suggestion. It's one of the most racially mingled areas in all of Chicagoland. But just be aware that many of the apartments in Oak Park are on the east side of town, which is a bit more unsafe because of it's proxity to Chicago's terrible Austin neighborhoods (and Oak Park has a few mini-thugs of its own). If I were to rent an apartment in Oak Park, I'd look for a condo unit that someone is renting out.

"Affordable" in Chicago can be a bad thing because it's often associated with "dangerous" and/or "inconvenient". Be careful about where you are looking, and realize that things can change drastically from block to block in some parts of the city. It's often wise to splurge a bit on rent and cut costs elsewhere in your life (like cars, etc.)

Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 AM

92 posts, read 309,917 times
I moved from Charlotte to Chicago in the 1990's. I wanted out of Charlotte because I felt like mainstream culture in Charlotte was stuck in the 1950's. Chicago was much more progressive but it is a lot more expensive and can be quite dangerous if you live in really affordable areas and rely upon mass transportation exclusively. Lastly, I don't believe it is a very child-friendly city, especially if you have a small budget. As a woman, I find Chicago expensive because I have to live in safe areas that are pricey and take cabs if it is after dark etc. Chicago has some serious crime if you aren't careful.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,402,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
I find Chicago expensive because I have to live in safe areas that are pricey and take cabs if it is after dark etc. Chicago has some serious crime if you aren't careful.
I know Batman was filmed here but this isn't Gotham City, most "bad" happens in concentrated areas and are commonly gang related.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,402,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
I find Chicago expensive because I have to live in safe areas that are pricey and take cabs if it is after dark etc. Chicago has some serious crime if you aren't careful.
I know Batman was filmed here but this isn't Gotham City, most "bad" happens in concentrated areas and are commonly gang related.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,180,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Asking questions like these is a social nono. Aside from being hideously tacky, you should know better than to do this.
The first one was a little inelegant, but curious people should be able to ask open and honest questions - it's part of getting comfortable with differences. Intent matters a lot.

The second one is completely necessary and without an answer to it makes it extremely difficult to give her good advice. If you're uncomfortable talking finances, then asking for advice on where to live when you have a budget but not describing what that budget is would be kind of silly. In case you were unaware, home sales are public data and if you know someone owns and you know where they live, you can find out what they paid. You're being ridiculously over-sensitive.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukegan View Post
Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in America because that's the free marketplace and free association at work and people like it that way. Your situation is not the norm anywhere, not even in urban Chicago, but that is your decision you made in life. You cannot expect everyone to agree with your views, just as you probably don't agree with others' too.

People in Chicago are polite however, they won't likely give you any grief outwardly. That is, unless someone acts arrogantly and tries to impose or force their views on others, which it sounds like you have the common sense and politeness not to do.
I think Waukeegan oversimplies things.

To the O.P.:

Chicago is more segregated than some other major cities, but there are racially and culturally mixed areas.

And Waukegan's "explanation" is only part of the reason. The bigger part of the reason Chicago is so segregated is that large parts of the african-american population moved here when racism was still an overt part of American life. The Great Migration from Mississippi, etc, populated neighborhoods that grew cohesive and strong and remain so today. They have been slow to change as much due to tradition as anything else.

Newer cities, or cities that have always had a mixed population that evolved over time, didn't have that same settlement pattern, so they just naturally have a more integrated population. While some may see the segregation in Chicago as a bad thing, there is also a positive to it, in that it helps create a strong base for african-americans to leverage strength with.

It is not just random chance that this "most segregated" city produced the first black President. Obama may have done a lot to bridge racial divides, but don't assume for a minute that having a strong, cohesive aftrican-american base didn't help him - especially in his early career.

Last edited by emathias; 07-27-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM

51 posts, read 199,419 times
Thank you for all for your posts. I am finding them very interesting and helpful. Please understand, I have no problem talking finances it is just that because I am hoping to start a new career and maybe even going back to school, my budget is very much up in the air. Something of course I will have figured out before I actually start looking for apartments. I just wanted to try and get some local feedback.

I saw that with regard to crime, chicago was a 7 (out of 10). Then I looked at Charlotte which was an 8. I use to live in Atlanta which is a 9. I know crime happens everywhere but all your info helped.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM

51 posts, read 199,419 times
Default A little clarification

Thanks again for all your repliees.

Unfortunately , I over edited my original post and left out part of my uniqueness...I am a single dad, I just said single parent. As I was reading all the replies, I wasn't sure where all the "She" and "Her" references were coming from. I thought maybe they were in response to other replies and not my original post. Sorry for the confusion. I totally understand though, single dads are not very common.

But really this post is about getting a sense of where my kids would be happy, safe and can make friends and get involved in their community. I have been to Chicago many times and think it is an amazing place. I have heard how tight knit the neighborhoods are. I can't wait to come and check it our for myself.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
Thanks again for all your repliees.

Unfortunately , I over edited my original post and left out part of my uniqueness...I am a single dad, I just said single parent. As I was reading all the replies, I wasn't sure where all the "She" and "Her" references were coming from. I thought maybe they were in response to other replies and not my original post. Sorry for the confusion. I totally understand though, single dads are not very common.
Just this past Sunday, the New York Times Magazine had an article about the need of a gender-neutral pronoun in English ... until then, sorry Sir :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago