Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,996,394 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in Ravenswood in quite some time, but I loved it at the time and the neighborhood has only gotten nicer. Lincoln Square which neighbors it is also great. Since you have kids, though, you'll need advice from people who know which schools your kids would go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,654,284 times
Ravenswood is a large neighborhood that consists of a few "sub-neighborhoods."

It has not drastically changed in the past year. Most neighborhoods do not drastically change in the span of one year.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM

51 posts, read 199,446 times
Default Ravenswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ravenswood is a large neighborhood that consists of a few "sub-neighborhoods."

It has not drastically changed in the past year. Most neighborhoods do not drastically change in the span of one year.

So are there safer and affordable neighborhoods within ravenswood?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,451,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
I was reading some old threads about Ravenswood. They were saying it is decent, affordable and safer than other parts.

The thread was from last year so I was wondering if anyone had a up to date idea about the area?
Ravenswood Elementary near the Montrose brown line stop has become a wonderful school in the last few years. I know several mothers with children there from K-4 and they are all very happy with the school and even happier not to have to move in order to get a quality education for their children. It will be an issue for high school however and I am pretty sure the neighborhood has split boundaries and bisects to a couple different high schools of variable quality.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM

51 posts, read 199,446 times
Thank you for posting about the schools. That is so important. I'm really going to check out Ravenswood and Lincoln Square when I go next month. Sounds great. I would rather be in Chicago than a suburb, I think.

Thank for all the info.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,451,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
Thank you for posting about the schools. That is so important. I'm really going to check out Ravenswood and Lincoln Square when I go next month. Sounds great. I would rather be in Chicago than a suburb, I think.

Thank for all the info.
Make sure that you speak with the realtor to find out if any potential addresses are in the boundaries for quality neighborhood schools. Better yet, check yourself on CPS' website: School Locator Page - Department of School Demographics and Planning

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 15,173 times
Default Long winded, but an informed prospective

I'm not sure if you are only considering Chicago, expect to have a job in "The City" or what. I am assuming that a few things are important to you: a good support network for your kids, safety/security, job options, access and maybe dating. Location of your job is of great importance, especially considering the age of the kids, because you want to have reasonable access to them in times of emergency. You also have to consider your daycare/after school care and summer options. You said you visited a lot, but didn't speak to whether or not you have friends here.

I live in Naperville. I'm a black female, in my late thirties, and single, no kids and Naperville works for me!!! I have a Brother and he is in an interracial marriage with kids 21 and 12. His family once lived in Naperville and now live in one of the next towns over, Aurora (in the District 203/4 (?) area- shared with Naperville and this is important as it relates to services, access and the schools) and are very happy. Many of the people I "know" who are interracial or Black have very comfortable relationships/friendships with Whites and a STRONG support group through a very "popular" church (lots of upwardly moble Blacks) DuPage AME- in Lisle (another town over from Naperville). They have TONS of family things going on and are strongly kids focused. I have interracial families in my neighborhood and have friends who are White and don't notice any real racial tension/issues here.

I think as a single parent you would feel more secure with your kids in a "bedroom community". The City is just a train ride away (sometimes just 34 mins). Traffic to and from The City, if driving during rush hour, is a beast . There are LOTS!!!!!!!!!!! of things to do in Chicagoland! My neice and nephew have an amazing life(style) due to the opportunites presented to them through events in Chicagoland, the tremendous focus on experiences/access in education in the District 203/204 school system, are safe (check zips 60504 (Aurora), 60540, 60563 (Naperville) and have diverse friends/experiences (they live in Aurora, zip 60504).

You can consider a Condo in Aurora in District 203 close to the train station (if need be) and get in under $90K (if 2 Br & 1-1/2Ba would do, initially) or rent. Tough to meet your pricing in Naperville, but you can do it in Aurora. Naperville has a really nice downtown for yuppies, buppie, suburbanites, singles, divorcees (labels!!!) as far as shopping and restaurants go.

You also may find that the "corporate corridor along I-88 (Aurora, Naperville and Warrenville along with Downers Grove and Oak Brook) to be promising regarding business/job opportunities.

I personally loved being in Chicago for living in my 20s- in the thick of it all. Now I am more discriminating- with my time, preferences and money. If I had kids, I would not want them in a "concrete jungle" or area where everything feels so compact. You just have to not be one of those Suburbanites who thinks getting off your duff and going into Chicago is a chore. If you love to live life and vibe off your kids having experiences, you'll get to The City frequently enough. In the late fall and winter- who really wants to be downtown anyway?

Another point- I spent 1/2 my life in the South and prefer a kinder, less tense and easier day-to-day experience as I float through my work week. The energy of The City is counter this and much better visited.

Charlotte is cool (in fact I',m visiting again in October) but if I had the option, my kids would be in the safe, good school district and business/retail/amenity populated areas of Chicagoland ANYDAY!!

OH!!, Lastly- your Education-- College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn (about 30 min drive away from Aurora/20 mins from Naperville) is one of the Top Junior Colleges in the country and rivals some Colleges. Also you'd be about 45 mins away from Northern IL University. North Central College in Naperville and Benedictine University in Lisle are pricy, but strong and U of IL and DePaul have campuses in Naperville.

Hope this has been helpful!!!

Last edited by chelle123; 08-03-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 AM

61 posts, read 187,803 times
I am also considering moving to Chicago from Charlotte...I am originally from Milwaukee, WI and wanted to escape the harsh climate....while there are things about Charlotte I like, it is culturally lacking, horrible for dating (I am a single woman in my late 30's), and very limited job options only in financial areas, which are now non-existent. Believe me, the crime is worse in Charlotte than in Chicago...my sister lives in Roscoe village and when I tell her what goes on here, she is amazed. I think you will like Chicago very much...except maybe for the weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago