Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,213 times

Advertisements

Okay, I pass by people all the time that mumble at me. Sometimes , think they're not talking to me, but usually they are. They just say random things: one woman was saying something about my umbrella and some guys were apparently hitting on me. I'm relatively new here and not well-traveled so am not sure if this is a big city thing or just a Chicago thing. If you're gonna say something to me, say it so I can hear you right of the bat. If you're going to hit on me, if you're cute, bring it on. Why the mumbling? It's happened in other instances as well, and sometimes I just nod and pretend to know what they're talking about.

The honking. I've lived in Los Angeles so know this a big city thing. But in LA it's about "get the hell out of my way or hurry the f up." But in Chicago, it's a different type of honking, and I can't figure it out. Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
99% of the honking I've heard in Chicago is always in the theme of "get the hell out of my way or hurry the f up".

I don't know about the random comments. I've had homeless people talking randomly at everyone when I pass, but it's very rarely that it's something towards you personal, let along rational.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Some guy was mumbling at me at the Humboldt Park lagoon last week and when I asked him to please speak up he exposed himself. Next time, I'm just going to leave it at the mumbling.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
I am either entirely calm in the car or swearing at everyone in site. I don't think you'd mistake it for "mumbling", however.

If you're at Clybourn and Webster or Elston and Fullerton, you should just expect everyone who is in a car to be swearing.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
99% of the honking I've heard in Chicago is always in the theme of "get the hell out of my way or hurry the f up".
And 80% of those 99% are cab drivers, many of whom come from nations where honking your horn is a more liberally used form of communication than here.

As for the mumbling bit... never really had it happen to me except from obvious stew-bums. Maybe what the OP is seeing/hearing is people talking into their cell phone earpieces.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
and then there's the cab drivers who "toot" at those of us waiting at a bus stop.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I don't know about mumbling, but there are a lot of reasons to honk, sometimes it's a tap when the light has changed, a small honk when coming out of an alley, etc.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
and then there's the cab drivers who "toot" at those of us waiting at a bus stop.
God, I HATE cab drivers who toot at EVERYONE walking down the street in Lakeview trying to pick up a fare.

If I'm standing waiting for a bus and they drive by slowly tooting, I normally just sit there and stare at them to confuse. Sometimes they pull over near me and sit on the curb, and I just keep staring without moving until they get fussy and pull away. I mean I'm at a bus stop and in no way tried to wave them down.

I've heard the occasional mumbling by a crazy homeless person, but certainly not on a regular basis.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I don't know about mumbling, but there are a lot of reasons to honk, sometimes it's a tap when the light has changed, a small honk when coming out of an alley, etc.
The ones that nearly drive me to violence though are those -- almost always cab drivers, of course -- who lay on their horns because the driver in front of them is waiting for pedestrians before turning right, as if said driver should just mow the pedestrians down just so the cabbie can get going.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The ones that nearly drive me to violence though are those -- almost always cab drivers, of course -- who lay on their horns because the driver in front of them is waiting for pedestrians before turning right, as if said driver should just mow the pedestrians down just so the cabbie can get going.
In fairness, I have done a version of that once or twice on accident. Of course, I was not laying on the horn but simply gave a tap of the horn. I am always embarrassed when I see why they are waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: