Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,915 times

Advertisements

Ok I know this is a bit pre mature but im looking to relocate from Vegas to somewhere... in a couple years... Ive been looking @ SF and now Chicago. I was just wondering how these areas were...

Bucktown
Humboldt Park
Logan Square
West Park
West Town
Wicker Park

I saw a real estate show on Logan Square and it turned me on to all these areas... Im just wondering if there is much violence/ drugs there and how the schools are. I saw a post about weed smoke, if that's the extent of the drugs in these areas ill gladly take that. I have a 3 year old who will be starting school there at the time of the move. Also do these areas feel urban... Im looking for that urban city feel without the gangs and violence... Id be looking for Loft or Condo living, the housing is amazing there for a fraction of the $$$$ compared to Frisco. How is the commute on the L in the areas... Im basically looking for a friendly community that feels urban and is safe for children to play. And something with an easy commute via train to the city... Can anyone give me advice please...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Search the forum bro.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 AM

6 posts, read 11,915 times
Default None

That was my next step thought id try the easy way first.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
At least you are honest.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
I have a place in Ukrainian Village. I was riding my bike around the Wicker Park area this weekend and it could possibly be a good fit for you.

I did see a number of family's with small children out walking around and it does have that cool urban vibe. It will cost you more than Logan though.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
I'd add that a newcomer to Chicago will find navigating the Chicago Public School system daunting. Most of the neighborhood schools will not be acceptable to most middle-class parents. There are some good schools (magnets/selective-enrollments etc), but getting into them is not trivial.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Moves View Post
I saw a real estate show on Logan Square and it turned me on to all these areas... Im just wondering if there is much violence/ drugs there and how the schools are. I saw a post about weed smoke, if that's the extent of the drugs in these areas ill gladly take that. I have a 3 year old who will be starting school there at the time of the move. Also do these areas feel urban... Im looking for that urban city feel without the gangs and violence... Id be looking for Loft or Condo living, the housing is amazing there for a fraction of the $$$$ compared to Frisco. How is the commute on the L in the areas... Im basically looking for a friendly community that feels urban and is safe for children to play. And something with an easy commute via train to the city... Can anyone give me advice please.
I think Logan Square and northwest Bucktown east of the Boulevard and south of Diversey is probably okay with kids. I know at least one couple with a kid there. Still can vary by block, though, so you'd want to check it out and ask around specific properties that interested you. If you picked the eastern park of Bucktown, you wouldn't have great access to the "L," but you could commute to the West Loop via the commuter Metra trains at Ashland and Armitage.

Humbolt Park east of the actual Park is also probably ok - I've heard just recently from a friend of mine who grew up on the east side of Humbolt Park that west of the Park is much less family-friendly than even he was expecting. As others noted, in this area the families will largely be recent immigrants. That's not a bad thing at all in my book, but it's something to be aware of.

I don't know what "West Park" is - sounds like some sort of real estate imagination.

West Town has some people with kids, and it's close to downtown. It's a little less hipsterish than Wicker Park proper is, but just south of it, so you still get access to most of the amenities. I know at least two couples with small children in that area. Wicker Park and southeast Bucktown are urban and hip and fun, but I don't know how kid-friendly they are.

You might want to add Lincoln Square to your list. It's fairly urban and considered very family-friendly, although not as close to downtown as Wicker Park and West Town are. About the same distance as Logan Square, maybe.

You might also consider Andersonville. It's gotten a little spendier, but compared to S.F. it's still a steal. Nice urban parts, mixed with a few blocks of nice single family homes, too. It's pretty kid-friendly as long as parents are comfortable with same-sex couples being a noticable portion of the population (which I assume you are, if you're considering S.F., too). It would be the furthest from Downtown, but it has "L" access (Red Line) as well as several express buses.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukegan View Post
FYI: With the exception of perhaps Bucktown, these areas are populated by single "hipsters" mostly. The people with kids are immigrants from Mexico and Puerto Rico etc. This may appeal to you. However, if you are of European-descent there are probably better choices and the public schools in those neighborhoods are terrible.
Not true at all. If you can walk from North Av down Damen or Milwaukee without having your toes run over by a $500 stroller, I would be surprised. Working class Latinos (whom, I assume you are suggesting G-Bag) could not afford to raise their children in the more desirable parts of Wicker Park and Bucktown.

Since the OP is looking for a loft in an "urban area" without the urban problems she is probably a yuppie and will feel quite at home in those neighborhoods.

OP- The issues you will find with Chicago are the public schools. Applications for any of the magnets, magnet clusters and most of the privates are due by March 15th (or around there) before the school year begins at the end of August. You are strongly encouraged though to tour the schools and meet the staff, students and active parents before applications are due for a better chance at getting in, even though it is called a "random" lottery, the principles have their own clout lists based on involvement of incoming parents. So, you would have a tough time simply moving here in July in advance of you child entering kindergarten unless your neighborhood school (the one you are guaranteed entrance to based on your address) is a quality one. I'm not sure if Pritzker in Wicker Park is exclusively a magnet school or is also a neighborhood one but that is about the only quality K-8 in the area.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'd add that a newcomer to Chicago will find navigating the Chicago Public School system daunting. Most of the neighborhood schools will not be acceptable to most middle-class parents. There are some good schools (magnets/selective-enrollments etc), but getting into them is not trivial.
With the caveat that I, myself, am not a parent, I will relate that most of my child-rearing friends are generally satisfied with elementary schools on the north and northwest side. At the middle school and high school level is where the parents I know seem to exhibit more concern. If your kid is 3 now, you'd have a number of years to figure things out before having to make hard decisions.

I don't know many parents on the south side, so I can't relate any knowledge in those areas.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM

92 posts, read 309,704 times
Be sure you can handle the extreme Chicago winters. You said you are coming from Las Vegas. Chicago has extreme weather -- mostly cold. I was just there for the 4th of July and spent most of the 4 days bundled in wool sweaters, wool pants. Chicago has weeks in the winter where the weather can be in single digits or negative digits. Also, Chicago's cold weather starts around Halloween and ends in May in my opinion (I'm originally from Florida).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago