U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 AM

92 posts, read 293,845 times

Advertisements

We lived in Chicago for 5 years and then moved away. We mostly moved for personal reasons but the winters were probably a factor too. I am interested in moving back but my husband says we will not be happy living in a small condo (a "box" as he calls it) after living in a house in Florida. We now have cats and dogs and we are worried about having to walk dogs 4 or 5 times a day (we now have a fenced yard they use). It seems that to get a nice 2/2 condo in a safe area is over $325k to $500k. That is expensive. We don't want to do the hour plus commute from the burbs. Lastly, I loved the people, the culture and business of Chicago but the cold weather I have to admit is pretty extreme. Seems like the only way I could make it through those winters for the next 30 years would be if we keep our place in Florida and use it alot during the winter but then that is a lot of flights and vacation time that we may not have. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 7,653,307 times
Sounds like you have some thinking to do.

Every single thing you described is a personal decision. I'm not sure how we can really comment on it, other than to point out that there are dog walking services and that if you're will to look at still-safe, still-nice, slightly less "hot" neighborhoods you can get 2-bed, 2-baths for between 200k and 300k and if you're willing to make a few sacrifices on location, you can get a small single family home within a reasonable commute of downtown and still in the city for under $500,000.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,190,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
you can get a small single family home within a reasonable commute of downtown and still in the city for under $500,000.
I am pretty sure you can get a bungalow with a fence backyard in Portage or Jeff Park for $250-275K. It may need some updating but I don't think the city is nearly as expensive as people would have you believe. The commute will be about 45-55 minutes on the train but it's a lot less stressful when you are sitting and reading a book versus driving in gridlock on 90/94.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM

12,390 posts, read 27,157,803 times
Assuming you are working a decent job in the city, housing with salaries is really not that expensive. I think it is doable, but yes there is winters. I am probably going to move back eventually and also vacation to California and FL in the Winter... I know what you mean as far as all things Chicago goes. I am actually probably moving back there BECAUSE of the affordability, if you want to see expensive come to SF...

Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM

38,705 posts, read 98,192,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
We lived in Chicago for 5 years and then moved away. We mostly moved for personal reasons but the winters were probably a factor too. I am interested in moving back but my husband says we will not be happy living in a small condo (a "box" as he calls it) after living in a house in Florida. We now have cats and dogs and we are worried about having to walk dogs 4 or 5 times a day (we now have a fenced yard they use). It seems that to get a nice 2/2 condo in a safe area is over $325k to $500k. That is expensive. We don't want to do the hour plus commute from the burbs. Lastly, I loved the people, the culture and business of Chicago but the cold weather I have to admit is pretty extreme. Seems like the only way I could make it through those winters for the next 30 years would be if we keep our place in Florida and use it alot during the winter but then that is a lot of flights and vacation time that we may not have. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
My thoughts are this: all things considered, sounds like you're better off staying put for a while. Not only would something have to give just to make it work up here -- either you'd have to spend more for a house than you'd like, or give up on having a yard, or deal with a commute -- but you also don't like the weather. It doesn't sound like a formula for happiness to me.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 24,903,395 times
You sound like you know what you're up against and what you're dealing with. I know a ton of people with dogs, and really it's never been a huge problem for them. One walk before work, one after and then before bed. The dogs want to be in and out as quick as you do. The big factor is how large the dogs are, aka how often they need a long walk.

Really though in winter, you can count on getting up to the 30's or 40's with relative frequency (please god). It may be freezing for a week or so at a time, but you can find temps where you just throw on a good coat and are perfectly fine doing a 30 minute walk with the dog.

I don't have one though! Just sayin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago