Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,458,810 times

Advertisements

What's bad about Foster and Western?I find it blah. Like living on an island someplace. Disconnected with other nearby areas which I would find more appealing, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,224,559 times
Would it really be that awful to walk exactly 4 blocks south and be at the Square? You make it sound like living @ Foster and Western is like being at 133rd and Avenue O.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 23,897 times
Default Lincoln Square

That area would be quiet, and have access to Winnemac Park but if you really want the best of what Lincoln Square has to offer in terms of restaurants, boutique shops and bars, you should look for a place south of Lawrence close to Lincoln Ave. until Montrose. Just my two cents.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Would it really be that awful to walk exactly 4 blocks south and be at the Square? You make it sound like living @ Foster and Western is like being at 133rd and Avenue O.
Right, how long is that walk? Maybe 7 or 8 minutes?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 44,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Oh good god!! That comment by Andrew was soooooooooooo not bullying! You don't have to worry about snow in Houston. Anybody who's not used to driving in snow shouldn't live that far from work when you're moving here just going into winter! Yeah, Lincoln Square is great, but it's not the only good neighborhood in Chicago. Hyde Park would be a MUCH better choice - at least for your husband.
Ok this is becoming ridiculous. I was joking... I want to mention that no where on this thread did I asked whether or not we should move to Lincoln Square. Anyway, thanks to those that answered my specific questions. BTW, my husband has driven in snow while commuting to work when he lived in Virginia. I have too. I will not respond to another poster regarding this issue.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Not to keep beating a dead horse here, but the type of snow that Virginia gets is much different than the area here (unless we're talking about the occasional big storm in the DC area). Regardless, it's not even that. It's the pure commute time when it snows that gets completely screwed up in the area. 1 hour could easily turn into 3. Nobody is giving you **** here. We're looking out for you. We are people who have been living here for a number of years each and have experience with all this type of stuff. If you don't want to listen to a local's advice, then so be it

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,373,342 times
Lincoln square is lovely but like everybody already stated, if the commute is an issue, its not the place to live. If the commute is no issue what so ever, its a great place to live.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lincoln square is lovely but like everybody already stated, if the commute is an issue, its not the place to live. If the commute is no issue what so ever, its a great place to live.
Lincoln Square is well-served by public transportation and if someone has a personal vehicle parking is not all that bad, in comparison with many north-side neighborhoods. There's a METRA commuter rail station at Lawrence & Ravenswood and there's the Brown Line "El" station at Leland & Western. 6 or 7 CTA bus routes serve the neighborhood and taxi's abound.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Lincoln Square is well-served by public transportation and if someone has a personal vehicle parking is not all that bad, in comparison with many north-side neighborhoods. There's a METRA commuter rail station at Lawrence & Ravenswood and there's the Brown Line "El" station at Leland & Western. 6 or 7 CTA bus routes serve the neighborhood and taxi's abound.
The point here is that the person in question's husband has to commute to the SE side of Chicago. Yes, in this case it IS bad. Lincoln Square is a great neighborhood but commuting through the Kennedy and such starting from miles north of "downtown", for 20+ miles each way every day is near suicide unless it's outside of certain hours.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,373,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The poster is driving...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago