Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,647 times

Advertisements

I'd hate to blame it on the econ because everybody seems to these days, but I was having this very same conversation to a lesser extent with my father the other day. We were discussing how people down here in St Louis are having the same issues. Although I haven't seen an issue too badly with customer service, the way employees are treating each other has gotten a lot worse. They are snapping at each other and just being down right evil. Of course the places we were citing were also going through numerous rounds of layoffs so people have been wound tight. I think that's in the back of everyone's minds and people are about to break or breaking where they shouldn't (i.e. in front of customers!).

(Btw, I'm in Chicago territory here because I'm looking to move to Chicago from St Louis. My father's originally from Chicago area (Hammond, Gary, Calumet City) and St Louis has become the new Detroit by many new studies. You guys seem to really know Chicago well so if anybody knows what towns/parts of Chicago are "middle class" (not a lot of crime/rent you can get by on) please DM me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,647 times
Default Wow, so that's how you survive in Chi-town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I had similar experiences the whole 30 years I lived in Chicago/burbs. Chicagoans aren't a particularly polite lot. Look at some of the things (including myself) we say on these forums
I went up to Chicago not long ago (wow, a year now that I think of it but seems like 4 months ago!) and had to go to a meeting downtown. A cousin who's from there drove me down there because I'm a St Louis driver not a Illinois driver (IL drivers have a crazy reputation at driving here). It just so happened the Taste of Chicago was going on that day too (on a Saturday) and people were EVERYWHERE. A whole group of us were waiting to cross the street to the pier and people weren't stopping for nothing! Even when it went red they were still going through. So finally this young kid said "Let's go, they can't hit ALL OF US!" and I thought wow, this must be unusual even for him.

Still confused as to whether the driving style in Chicago is just really crazy in Downtown Chicago/Southern Chicago/Northern Indiana area or even Central/Northern Chicago as well.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
People always seem nice to me but *shrugs shoulders*

Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I think this happened in Ghostbusters 2.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 PM

41 posts, read 149,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisian View Post
I went up to Chicago not long ago (wow, a year now that I think of it but seems like 4 months ago!) and had to go to a meeting downtown. A cousin who's from there drove me down there because I'm a St Louis driver not a Illinois driver (IL drivers have a crazy reputation at driving here). It just so happened the Taste of Chicago was going on that day too (on a Saturday) and people were EVERYWHERE. A whole group of us were waiting to cross the street to the pier and people weren't stopping for nothing! Even when it went red they were still going through. So finally this young kid said "Let's go, they can't hit ALL OF US!" and I thought wow, this must be unusual even for him.

Still confused as to whether the driving style in Chicago is just really crazy in Downtown Chicago/Southern Chicago/Northern Indiana area or even Central/Northern Chicago as well.
Ahh yes, if you are going to be living here you will get used to this. Pedestrians have the right of way in this city but many drivers either don't seem to know this or simply don't care.

This makes for an interesting and oft-times hilarious push and pull between the walkers and the drivers. And since there is more safety and power in numbers, when it comes to events like the Taste or a Cubs game the pedestrians take all that pent up rage that's been building for weeks on end from impatient drivers that don't respect their right of way and give the collective middle finger by defiantly crossing the road...together...in solidarity.

Kind of empowering actually and you don't even have to wait for a major event to see it. Just walk through the loop during rush hour and you're bound to see at least one car that ends up stopping in the crosswalk after making a left turn on a yellow light, unable to go any further because the pedestrians will immediately begin walking (around them) the *moment* the signal turns. Power to the People.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 149,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whathe View Post

of course, i also remember a time when it was not unacceptable for unrelated adults to yell or swat your butt if you where young and being an ass.
lol.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:14 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
I hope they start giving out tickets for people who cut off pedestrians pisses me off

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,861 times
Lincoln Park is middle class with not a whole lot of crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisian View Post
(Btw, I'm in Chicago territory here because I'm looking to move to Chicago from St Louis. My father's originally from Chicago area (Hammond, Gary, Calumet City) and St Louis has become the new Detroit by many new studies. You guys seem to really know Chicago well so if anybody knows what towns/parts of Chicago are "middle class" (not a lot of crime/rent you can get by on) please DM me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago