Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times

Advertisements

In addition to trying to honk at you on the road, and run you over when you cross the street, I have experienced people just flat out being rude, ignorant, obnoxious whenever they can these days. There are definitely nice people out there, but they seem so few and far in between.

Like the other day, I was shopping at Jewel on Broadway and Addison, this store employee told me to re-organize their shelf and put everything neatly in order after I am done with selecting items. I was seriously shocked! Then there are people who are simply indifferent and won't give a d**m about you or simply take pleasure in other people's troubled situations.

Have you had similiar experience lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
...Like the other day, I was shopping at Jewel on Broadway and Addison, this store employee told me to re-organize their shelf and put everything neatly in order after I am done with selecting items...
Hmmm. Can you DM me a description of this person?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
You would be the sort to trash the Jewel and walk away

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
So you're the one who put the English Muffins in with the diapers!

The reaction of this employee is beyond funny. Talk about letting a little power go to your head!

I was at the Jewel at Montrose and Broadway yesterday and the management had a little pow wow in the meat section about smiling friendly customer service. These totally unenthusiastic minimum-wage employees had to sit and brainstorm ways to be friendlier and cheerier toward customers. It was actually pretty entertaining to listen to while picking through porkchops.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
Somehow the Jewel store on B-way and Addision never had any customer service, to my knowledge. I was almost hit by giant moving trollies moving goods across the store, and I was told by an employee to go to the stock room to get bottled Ice moutain water on my own because he wouldn't lift a finger or give a ****. Then of course I was told to organize their shelves. Then they laughed at me and refused last time when I asked to try a sample of their fried chicken wings. They must have thought I was a free loader of some kind despite the fact I had a full cart of groceries.

Similarly, the Whole Foods Market (WFM) on Addison and Halsted is also a disaster. Last time I was in that store, I was pretty sure that I was being followed by a store employee who did nothing but stared at me the whole time. He must have thought that I was doing something illegal. Then when I came across missed connections on Craigslist, that particular person posted an ad claiming that I was a hottie. hmmm, talking about getting stalked by a store employee?

Trader Joe's on Clybourn south of Webster has mixed customer services. A few times, including today, I found mold inside their goods (cherries, I was there today and there's mold in their boxed cherries, A LOT), and expired items (sausage comes to mind, turkey sausages on the top shelf by the entrance usually have expiration date before your store visit), indifferent employees. When I asked a female employee at that store to check if they had anymore mushrooms in the back she must have thought that i was crazy to ask.

Jewel on Ashland and Wellington has consistently delivered good customer service in my judgment. Employees seem happier in that store and are willing to help most of the time although exceptions do occur, against my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
So you're the one who put the English Muffins in with the diapers!

The reaction of this employee is beyond funny. Talk about letting a little power go to your head!

I was at the Jewel at Montrose and Broadway yesterday and the management had a little pow wow in the meat section about smiling friendly customer service. These totally unenthusiastic minimum-wage employees had to sit and brainstorm ways to be friendlier and cheerier toward customers. It was actually pretty entertaining to listen to while picking through porkchops.

Last edited by lincolnparker; 07-29-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Jewel on Ashland and Wellington has consistently delivered good customer service in my judgement. Employees seem happier in that store and are willing to help most of the time although exceptions do occur, against my experience.
That's the best Jewel I've found in the city to date... If I lived a little closer, I would go there more regularly.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's the best Jewel I've found in the city to date... If I lived a little closer, I would go there more regularly.
Management asked me to leave when I had a breakout dance session a few years ago. I never went back.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Management asked me to leave when I had a breakout dance session a few years ago. I never went back.
Are you not a good dancer?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
I am quite confident that it is an American phenomenon and not simply just a Chicago thing. Yes, people are worse now and they will be even worse than that tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I agree it's certainly a national thing.

People are just SOOOOO slow most of the time I want to shake them screaming. At Binny's this guy last night was tripping over every single thing when he was helping the woman in front of him. She wanted boxes.. "well, we might be low on them now and stuff". So she asked if they WERE or WEREN'T (duh - that's like saying it MIGHT be raining outside). So he turns and asks the manager, who says there are a bunch of beer boxes by the front door. The manager was like 2 feet away, but the checkout guy (like an idiot), turns and repeats the same thing to the woman.

So I get up there and he can't find the UPC for the bottle of booze. He sits there looking like he's going to cry, when finally the girl in the next lane tells him to look UNDER the bottle. SURPRISE!!!

Then the woman in the next lane tells her customer that she likes his bracelet. Of course the guy in my lane gets VERY VERY excited and puts everything down to go look at this yarn bracelet. I just stood there with my ID and credit card straight out in my arms staring at him. He didn't get the point.

Then he says "so...do you like...need a bag and stuff?". No biff, I'm just going to carry these 6 bottles of vodka out in my arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago