Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,661 times

Advertisements

so im from philly and from a working class italian neighborhood. i was wondering what neighborhoods were prodemiently italian , catholic and working class fughetaboutit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Not really too many of those types in the city anymore (at least living in large groups together.) Many Italians moved out to the burbs.

Elmwood Park (a burb across the street from the city) is the closest you will get IMO.

Norridge and Harwood Heights are next (actually surrounded by) the city and are up there as well with Elmwood Park and River Grove.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Taylor Street + Heart of Chicago (Oakley and 26th St.) come to mind. Bridgeport maybe, it's working class and it's mostly a mix of Irish, Italian, and Mexican, but I couldn't say what percentage of it is Italian. There's a little Sicily somewhere on the north side too.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Italians here don't put cheeze whiz on sandwiches, be prepared.

I don't really know of a solid Italian city neighborhood anymore. Damned few left on Taylor St. As was mentioned western burbs like Elmwood Park and Villa Park have lots of Italians, to the point where many Italian restaurants and food stores in the burbs at least match, if not better, the best in the city.

Auto mentioned Bridgeport, it's a mixed working class neighborhood with many Italians and lots of Irish, Lugans, Poles, Mexicans and Chinese too. Almost everyone is Catholic except the Chinese. It's the kind of neighborhood where guys grow up with nicknames like Moosh, Spuds and Muzzie; you might dig it. It's certainly old school Chicago, that's for sure. Sox Park is down there. And several good Italian restaurants and taverns with mainly Italian patrons.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Chicago has gotten much more bland in the recent expansion of national chains and such. The old ways of having parish based festivals have given way to semi-commercial street parties that the alderman love because they can plaster their name over everything in ways that pastors would never allow.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 154,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Chicago has gotten much more bland in the recent expansion of national chains and such. The old ways of having parish based festivals have given way to semi-commercial street parties that the alderman love because they can plaster their name over everything in ways that pastors would never allow.
That's why I still love the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Melrose Park. I know the neighborhood has changed a lot, but the Feast is still a parish-based festival that has great Italian food. More people should get their noses out of the air and head there in July to keep it going!!

Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Taylor Street + Heart of Chicago (Oakley and 26th St.) come to mind. Bridgeport maybe, it's working class and it's mostly a mix of Irish, Italian, and Mexican, but I couldn't say what percentage of it is Italian. There's a little Sicily somewhere on the north side too.
That little Sicily neighborhood died off over 50yrs ago!! Bridgeport is mixed (always was), Armour Square just to the east is more predominately Italian (but has shrunk since the late 60's/70's, b/c of the Chinese), Heart of Italy, is mainly just the restaurants that are on 2 blocks of Oakley, other than those 2 blocks, it's Mexican. All of the people mostly moved out. The Annual festival in late June is still good. Taylor street is a joke! Just restaurants left. Grand Ave still has some of it's restaurants but the original neighborhood people are drying up pretty quick. Alot of yuppie/artsy people have been moving in.

Last edited by ncc; 09-01-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM
ncc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamA View Post
That's why I still love the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Melrose Park. I know the neighborhood has changed a lot, but the Feast is still a parish-based festival that has great Italian food. More people should get their noses out of the air and head there in July to keep it going!!
You still love the feast of Melrose??? you mean Mexico right?? LOL!

The tast of Melrose is still really good, it's the last part of summer!

As for the Feast, I remember going there in the early 90's and it was changing.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
ncc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromphilly72 View Post
so im from philly and from a working class italian neighborhood. i was wondering what neighborhoods were prodemiently italian , catholic and working class fughetaboutit
We'll welcome you to EP only if you don't quote movies lines all day. We have enough characters in this neighborhood already..LOL

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM

44 posts, read 154,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
You still love the feast of Melrose??? you mean Mexico right?? LOL!

The tast of Melrose is still really good, it's the last part of summer!

As for the Feast, I remember going there in the early 90's and it was changing.
Yep, still love it! Love the Taste of Melrose too! Both are in "Mexico", so not sure why one is ok and the other one isn't. Feasts like that are a dying breed. I go for the nostalgia as it might not be around much longer since a lot of folks share your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago