Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times

Advertisements

It seems that in alot of cities the little italy sections are shadows of their former selves, save a few hold outs and boutique shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Well there hasn't been a solid immigration of Italian to the USA in a long long time.

Normally those ethnic neighborhoods only stay vibrant if there's a stock of people fresh from a certain place who keep the traditions alive, seek out other Italians, Swedish, Polish, etc.

That's why a lot of the "towns" that you see are for groups that still tend to immigrate to the USA - Chinese, Indian, Polish, etc.

We have Andersonville that's Swedish, Lincoln Square that German, Little Italy and Greektown - but most of those are pretty "soft" on being thriving neighborhoods with true immigrants.

there just haven't been any Swedes or Germans (although Greeks maybe be more of an exception since I know a lot of Greek immigrants) that have come over the past 80 years to keep things alive. Now it's more tourist stuff, and the actual immigrants who populated those areas spread out years ago.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^ I'm assuming this is pure sarcasm?

Show me a Western European country that has hundreds of thousands of people just dying to move immigrate to the USA.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 79,459 times
Probably no Italian neighborhoods left, in the sense that you mean. As other people have said, Bridgeport is about it in the city proper. Some people said the northwest side--I believe it but the northwest side might as well be a suburb. Italians moved out to Elmwood and Melrose Park many years ago, now Melrose Park has changed a lot...don't know about Elmwood.

There are virtually no Italians in Little Italy, Heart of Italy or West Grand in the sense that you mean--maybe a few holdouts and old-timers. There are an abundance of amazing restaurants, though.

I would guess that Bridgeport is about it, although that is, even traditionally speaking, an Irish neighborhood.

Give it 10 years and Bridgeport and Canarville will no longer be Irish/Italian either. It will all be Hispanic, or maybe Hispanic and hipster.

Beverly due to its proximity to the burbs may hold out a little longer.

Kind of boring.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
Probably no Italian neighborhoods left, in the sense that you mean. As other people have said, Bridgeport is about it in the city proper. Some people said the northwest side--I believe it but the northwest side might as well be a suburb. Italians moved out to Elmwood and Melrose Park many years ago, now Melrose Park has changed a lot...don't know about Elmwood.

There are virtually no Italians in Little Italy, Heart of Italy or West Grand in the sense that you mean--maybe a few holdouts and old-timers. There are an abundance of amazing restaurants, though.

I would guess that Bridgeport is about it, although that is, even traditionally speaking, an Irish neighborhood.

Give it 10 years and Bridgeport and Canarville will no longer be Irish/Italian either. It will all be Hispanic, or maybe Hispanic and hipster.

Beverly due to its proximity to the burbs may hold out a little longer.

Kind of boring.
There are A LOT of asians here in Bridgeport. I suspect that they are mostly concentrated in the northern part, east of Halsted. There also seems to be a large concetration of Asians in the northern part of Armour Square too.

I really don't think it will be majority hispanic in the near future, to be honest. A lot of young white people (mostly artists and hipsters) are living west of Halsted on Morgan, Lituanica and even Aberdeen. I'm on canal and most of my neighbors are white or Asian.

As far as Italians in the neighborhood- I'm not sure I'm all that great at identifying them by just looking at them. My girlfriend is Sicilian, so I have a pretty good gauge.

EDIT: Oh yeah- I forgot that we have the Italian American club here too. Years ago, my ex was there with her dad before a Sox game and got to meet Tommy Lasorda!

There are some good Italian eateries here too.

Last edited by MannheimMadman; 12-16-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 PM

26 posts, read 79,459 times
Ha. That is cool to know man.

I hope the neighborhoods stay interesting and unpredictable for the next generation.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
Ha. That is cool to know man.

I hope the neighborhoods stay interesting and unpredictable for the next generation.
I agree. We need to be able to preserve European ethnic Blue collar Joe neighborhoods and the regular guy needs an affordable place where he does not have to drive everywhere. Maybe with the new influx of eastern Europeans arriving , new ethnic neighborhoods could be established. This is already happening in NYC .

Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 27,619 times
I'm not sure that there are any 'italian' neighborhoods in Chicago. You may try the Northwest side but up there you have a strong Polish presence as well as Romanian...and so on and so fourth.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,246 times
Cicero was very italian. It's not anymore.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
Bridgeport, 35th street north to 28th street, Halsted west to Wells Street. This area has a strong italian presence and is quite authentic. The people that have been living here have been here for generations with extended family members living on the same block. You can find many italian restaurants, pizza places, italian ice stands, etc. There are italian fests every year and you will sometimes see homes sporting the italian flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago