Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM

717 posts, read 2,799,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
Remind me to never give a massage to Avengerfire... WOW people like you are one of the reasons that some LMT's get fined thousands of dollars or get their license revoked, its a code of ethics and professionalism... you as a client should follow them just as much as the therapist should.

As for tipping, 15% is seen as the minimum unless of course it was absolutely lousy... then not only is critiscism expected but also a low tip or no tip is deserved! A smart therapist knows when she/he's done a bad job... not only are you not walking out with the glazed over eyes and relaxed jello-y body but you are quick to get dressed and leave without a sincere thankyou... when weve done a good job, its obvious to us!! It is similar as to eating out at a restaurant... 15% minimum, anything better is of course encouraged and gladly accepted for a job well done. Many times the LMT's that work at the spas work on a 50/50 split therefore they only get 50% of the initial massage fee and then they get 100% tips. As for the chiroprators/doctors offices, most of them work on an hourly basis (which isnt nearly 20% of what the doctor is charging the insurance company for to treat you)... but just as you wouldnt tip your doctor, you shouldnt tip your LMT in this situation, I know that they are usually told that they are not allowed to accept tips when working in the chiropratic/doctor side of massage.

Pricing varies from area to area, spa to spa, anything to everything... Different types of massages also will cost different prices. The only thing that should be cutting into your actual 1 hr massage is the time it takes for the therapist to introduce themselves, go over your medical history and problems and then for you to disrobe and get ready... after that your therapist's hands should not leave your body until your full hour is up! So in a way it is a 55 min massage if it takes you 5 minutes to get ready and get on the table... but otherwise I would speak with your therapist and let him/her know that you noticed they stop 5 minutes early and ask for the reason... they very well might just tell you that its to allow enough time for you to get dressed and leave if their next massage is booked on every hour.
Thank you for an excellent post. I see that you are in Florida--as am I. I am an esthetician, electrologist and massage therapist. I am from Illinois and have thoughts of returning to the Chicago area. However, I am totally disgusted by several of the posts in this thread which treat women as sex objects. If I wanted to be tipped for what I could provide you in that line of work, I would be charging you a whole lot more and expecting same. You would find me in some sleazy or other place which would have a reputation for such--not in an outstanding spa or salon reputed for top-notch therapy.

As a trained professional in the 3 areas listed above, I charge you accordingly for the legal and legitimate therapy/services I provide. My expectation is that you will treat me with respect and appreciate my work--with nothing "EXTRA" anticipated. That is not why you came to see me. If it is, you booked an appoinment with the wrong person & place. Do not come into a legitimate spa or salon expecting any type of sexual gratification to be bestowed upon you. You should seek out the whorehouse that is hiding behind some facade for what you want. Risk your life and your health because health & sanitary standards and are not given a second thought.

For those of you who don't think that people lose their licenses for doing these "extras" that you might expect, just check the licenses that have been suspended or revoked. People do file complaints and every licensed professional is subject to being "shopped" and/or investigated. These types of complaints are not ignored or taken lightly.

This is all public information listed with the State of Illinois (or any other state that requires licensing). In Illinois I believe it falls under Dept of Professional Regulation, but I am not positive.

I also have extensive restaurant experience. Besides working as a server off and on for many years, I have trained servers at several sit-down table-service restaurants in Walt Disney World.

Because I have walked in the shoes for all of these professions, I never tip less than 20% unless the service was unsatisfactory.

Also, as a mother of 4 children who are now grown or are teens, I can say that I used to leave more than 20% when we went out to eat at family restaurants. I never felt it was fair to the server to leave the same tip as if she/he were cleaning up after 4 adults. Do you ever look at the mess kids make for a kids meal that costs a few bucks? Totally unjust to give your server a 50 cent tip on a kids meal.

As for the complaint about getting a 55 minute massage instead of 1 full hour.....That is STANDARD practice. Actually, at most spas and salons you will find that a 1 hour service actually means 50 MINUTES of hands-on service. The other 10 minutes are allowed for dressing/undressing & discussing your needs and expectations with your therapist. If I did not discuss your condition and your expectations with you, I would be professionally negligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
It must be that time of the month for certain people on here.

I cannot believe how humorless some people are.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 AM

838 posts, read 3,086,875 times
So 15% to 25% based on $50 ($100 massage buy one get one free)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ I tip between 15% and 25% most of the time for a massage based on the price of the massage. ^

Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 331,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
The standard was 10% when my parents were growing up in the 60s. Probably not what you meant, but one thing my parents did raise me is to do was to be smart with my money. Overpaying someone for a standard service wasn't part of their values.

And again, the food cost A LOT, an order of magnitude, more than a POS chain restaurant. The higher priced food is from not only the higher quality ingredients, but also the higher quality service. The waiter at Spiaggia makes a lot more dough than the waiter at Chiles.

I've never received a single complaint for my tip. I'm generally pretty easy going with my orders. And frankly, after 12-14 hour days, I'm too tired to do much more than eat and talk with my wife If you want to overtip to feel good about yourself or to bump fists with the waiter afterwards, good for you.
The Spiaggia vs. chillies comparison is flawed however, as the waiter at Spiaggia has a lot more support staff that he has to tip out to and he is also providing a much higher level of service & the meal will likely last far longer (so he has fewer tables with slower turnover).

15% at an upscale restaurant is cheap imo, but there are a lot of cheap people out there so you've got plenty of camouflage

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
The Spiaggia vs. chillies comparison is flawed however, as the waiter at Spiaggia has a lot more support staff that he has to tip out to and he is also providing a much higher level of service & the meal will likely last far longer (so he has fewer tables with slower turnover).

15% at an upscale restaurant is cheap imo, but there are a lot of cheap people out there so you've got plenty of camouflage
Thank you.

Some people just don't get it.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,002,421 times
I recently paid $300 for 5 sessions. That's the 60 minute deep tissue version. I'll tip $15. If it's 90 minutes, I'll tip $25. My girl is really good, she works really hard. I can hear her wrists/hands cracking sometimes. I know she works hard. But if you get someone slacking, then tip just a little bit.

On a side note, what are you supposed to do if you get "excited" during the massage. That happened to me last time when she was rubbing on my thighs. I couldn't help it. She just watched it grow.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
So 15% to 25% based on $50 ($100 massage buy one get one free)?
Well if the value of the massage before the discount is $100 and you got the deal as a buy one get one free so you ended up paying $50 for each massage...

I would still tip on the value of the massage before the discount. Thus $15-$25 tip.

If you are strapped for cash just tip $15.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,064,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post

On a side note, what are you supposed to do if you get "excited" during the massage. That happened to me last time when she was rubbing on my thighs. I couldn't help it. She just watched it grow.
"Giggity".

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 AM

121 posts, read 321,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post

Sure...of course. I didn't didn't mean to imply that he was taking home himself an order of magnitude more than the Chiles waiter. But the Spiaggia waiter is netting a significant amount more than the waiter at Chiles. Not an order of magnitude, but certainly a couple multiples.

This isn't unique to the service industry. It's common in white-collar jobs too. I have an employee who contributes an order of magnitude more code and features than his coworkers. However, he doesn't make an order of magnitude more in salary, just 30-50% more because that's what the market will bear.

And listen, waiters at high end restaurants aren't exactly hurting. I remember doing back of the envelope calculations with my buddy who worked in the back room of Gramercy Tavern. Not even that high end of a restaurant and he was making more than when I started as an Engineer.

The US tipping system is out of control. Everyone feels entitled to have their hands out. Somehow a lot of people have it in their mind that the "standard" has doubled from 10% in the boomer generation to 20% now - despite food being indexed to inflation. If you think it's cheap, that's cool, but again, I've never received one complaint and I never have a problem getting a reservation or just walking right in.

But I'm sure tip inflation will continue. Even Starbucks baristas have a tip jar now. People like coldwine who have it in their tiny little heads that "tips are how you get to know people" and will continue to fuel the insanity. I'm comfortable hanging out with the cheapskates and saving money

Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
when I started as an Engineer.
Aaah, I was wondering. I've never encountered a profession more determined to be thick skulled in what they insist to be the truth than engineers.

Quote:
The US tipping system is out of control. Everyone feels entitled to have their hands out. Somehow a lot of people have it in their mind that the "standard" has doubled from 10% in the boomer generation to 20% now - despite food being indexed to inflation. If you think it's cheap, that's cool, but again, I've never received one complaint and I never have a problem getting a reservation or just walking right in.
Let's now move this forward a few considerations:
1. You are not a business person of executive level
2. Inflation. Close the math book and build a bridge another time. Today I'd like you to learn about "inflation".

Quote:
But I'm sure tip inflation will continue. Even Starbucks baristas have a tip jar now. People like coldwine who have it in their tiny little heads that "tips are how you get to know people" and will continue to fuel the insanity. I'm comfortable hanging out with the cheapskates and saving money
You are indeed cheap. But also ignorant, and I suppose considering your profession I can't expect you to know any better about proper etiquette. I feel that I owe you an apology; I was asking an idea to climb a glass wall.

But I'm going to do so anyways, just because of my "tiny little head". Because as several industry people have pointed out to you, including posters here who profess the same, you are in the minority. You clearly don't understand building relationships with others, or why networking (yes, even amongst the peons who bring your bread) is so important. But this is the world I live in. Whether or not you like it, the habits of my world-- much larger than yours-- dictate going above and beyond what is usually expected to curry favor with people who can make your life that much easier. Outside of America this is simply expected, and in many countries in the world restaurant seating is an understated measurement of social status.

And last but not least, and maybe this is just my tiny little head talking here, but I have a lot of disposable income and I spread it around. There's nothing wrong with that. If you're too cheap to part ways with your money for the sake of people who do extremely thankless jobs, or those who deal with the irrational demands of the public, then you are just a terrible person. I pity anyone whose seating chart has space taken away from normal customers for you and your cheapskate friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago