U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which provider should I switch to?
Spring 2 16.67%
Verizon 6 50.00%
T-Mobil 1 8.33%
Stick with AT&T 1 8.33%
Other? 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 27,240 times

Advertisements

I just moved here I am currently on AT&T and I have to say that my coverage is just completely awful. I literally have to step outside my house to take a call (I live in wicker park), and it usually drops my call every 2 minutes. Its driving me insane and I think its time to switch providers.

I also travel to various suburbs and go downtown often for work so I also need decent coverage when I do go out to the suburbs.

What provider would you guys recommend considering my situation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 AM

15,587 posts, read 25,505,744 times
U.S. Cellular

Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 13,525,199 times
I'm curious as well. My contract is up in February and I hate AT&T and can't wait to give them the boot.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,898,199 times
My T-Mobile coverage got much worse at home when a big new building was built in my backyard. An upside with them is that I can do something about it: their new phones can make calls over wi-fi, so now coverage at home is just fine.

That said, no one can say for certain exactly what coverage will be like for you at all times, since there are too many factors to consider. Verizon usually gets props for its network, and not just in ads.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

4,680 posts, read 9,549,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
U.S. Cellular
He's right. I've had US Cellular since I've had a cell phone. The company isn't perfect, but when it comes to service in Chicago, I never have any issues. Ever.

For a while they really lagged behind some of the other providers in terms of data plans/speed/etc. However, my contract was up last spring and I was ready to move on, but found they were basically on par with everyone else in those categories. I ended up sticking with them.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 9,756,716 times
at&t's service here SUCKS, but i'm stuck with it because most of my family has it and i can talk to them for free with it.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,569,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
My T-Mobile coverage got much worse at home when a big new building was built in my backyard. An upside with them is that I can do something about it: their new phones can make calls over wi-fi, so now coverage at home is just fine.

That said, no one can say for certain exactly what coverage will be like for you at all times, since there are too many factors to consider. Verizon usually gets props for its network, and not just in ads.
a friend of mine can't use her Verizon phone at my place. not sure if it's the service, the phone, or just the building itself, but she said she gets a so-so connection that sometimes drops (I'm thinking it's the house since she has no issue when she goes outside). I agree, there are a lot of factors involved, but many carriers will let you cancel w/o paying a fee w/in a short amount of time. I'm w/ T-Mobile, simply b/c I've had no issue w/ it here in Chicago, in most of MA, or in some other places (including the parts of PA and NH I've been to). I've heard good things about USC in terms of service, but nothing about its service outside the Chicago area. funny, I've NEVER head anything good about AT&T (when will Apple dump them and move the iphone over to another carrier?)

Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,945,895 times
US Cellular is great in Chicago (our hometown cellular company after all). I've never had a dropped call in the past 3 years of using them.

Verizon is typically pretty good here also.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 9,756,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
a friend of mine can't use her Verizon phone at my place. not sure if it's the service, the phone, or just the building itself, but she said she gets a so-so connection that sometimes drops (I'm thinking it's the house since she has no issue when she goes outside). I agree, there are a lot of factors involved, but many carriers will let you cancel w/o paying a fee w/in a short amount of time. I'm w/ T-Mobile, simply b/c I've had no issue w/ it here in Chicago, in most of MA, or in some other places (including the parts of PA and NH I've been to). I've heard good things about USC in terms of service, but nothing about its service outside the Chicago area. funny, I've NEVER head anything good about AT&T (when will Apple dump them and move the iphone over to another carrier?)
when AT&T was Cingular, it was excellent. not until they switched to AT&T did it begin to suck so horribly.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,136,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
when AT&T was Cingular, it was excellent. not until they switched to AT&T did it begin to suck so horribly.
Thanks for stating that. I was about to say that in the 3 years I had Cingular, I had never had an issue but their pricing-to-service comparison made me switch to T-Mobile. I'm happy with them too. El cheapo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>