Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM

60 posts, read 162,933 times

Advertisements

What does all this have to do with the question from the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Some will be disappointed but as the general population becomes more educated you are going to need a graduate level degree to obtain a decent paying job. You now need an undergraduate level degree for jobs that 20 years ago only required an HS diploma, etc. The people who are going to be disappointed are the ones completing accelerated MBA programs out of college but have no related job experience. When they receive the degree they can't find anything because they're missing part of the equation: Degree + relevant job experience = good job. I'm also in complete agreement that it really depends where the MBA is earned. Now it seems like everybody is offering an MBA, so potential employers will need to determine whether or not the education the applicant was given was actually valuable or not. Chances are the guy with an MBA from Wharton is going to be better prepared for a leadership role in a company than the guy with the MBA from Metro State University.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfindude View Post
What does all this have to do with the question from the OP?
Because people were calling me out on my MBA being worthless and how I can only afford a house for 150k, which is forcing me to defend myself.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Because people were calling me out on my MBA being worthless and how I can only afford a house for 150k, which is forcing me to defend myself.
I think his point was you shouldn't have had to.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Chances are the guy with an MBA from Wharton is going to be better prepared for a leadership role in a company than the guy with the MBA from Metro State University.
That's not that case at all.

MBAs are probably the most egalitarian degree. They prove themselves, much like business, based on results and little else.

Believe it or don't, but most MBAs are completely worthless because they do not do the one thing business students need most. They do not teach informational skills. Students need to learn how to research, gather and analyze information.

In my opinion, Harvard has a terrible MBA program. Anyone can sit and discuss issues-- that's really what an undergraduate degree is-- and then mix some intermediate accounting and stats classes in. Many of those disdained "Metro State" universities have results-driven MBAs for more middle class folk. Those also happen to be the best, because when push comes to shove the ******* who spent two years discussing issues has no idea how to implement solutions.

I think the best is Kellogg, which deserves the place it holds. Nowhere else have I seen such hardcore interpretive education. And as someone who graduated from UC Law, this is a very high compliment indeed.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
That's not that case at all.

MBAs are probably the most egalitarian degree. They prove themselves, much like business, based on results and little else.

Believe it or don't, but most MBAs are completely worthless because they do not do the one thing business students need most. They do not teach informational skills. Students need to learn how to research, gather and analyze information.

In my opinion, Harvard has a terrible MBA program. Anyone can sit and discuss issues-- that's really what an undergraduate degree is-- and then mix some intermediate accounting and stats classes in. Many of those disdained "Metro State" universities have results-driven MBAs for more middle class folk. Those also happen to be the best, because when push comes to shove the ******* who spent two years discussing issues has no idea how to implement solutions.

I think the best is Kellogg, which deserves the place it holds. Nowhere else have I seen such hardcore interpretive education. And as someone who graduated from UC Law, this is a very high compliment indeed.
With all due respect, when you look at top lists Kellogg is consistently in the top 5 or 10, it is no Metro State by any means. You seem to be disproving yourself by complimenting that school.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
With all due respect, when you look at top lists Kellogg is consistently in the top 5 or 10, it is no Metro State by any means. You seem to be disproving yourself by complimenting that school.
Agree or disagree, there is nothing contradictory about what she said.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
My wife got an MBA from a mid-level program (respectable, but not top ten), and it has definitely given her a credential for her resume to comand a better salary and higher level of responsbility. Her firm can use it to sell her to clients, but she doesn't really feel it has aided her job performance that much in terms of the skills gained. It has allowed her director-level positions at small ad agencies in the past, though.

It's just another hoop to jump through to prove you are a capable person. Companies like Google won't even higher people without an MBA.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Alright Chicagoans, so we just spent some more time in your great city (and surrounding area) and we'd still like to consider the possibility of moving here in the next couple of years. Of course single family homes are nice and preferred. However, we aren't eliminating the possibility of moving into an apartment or condo in a high or mid-rise building with a decent view. I'd love to be within a reasonable walking distance to a metra or L station, although probably not so close that all conversations are muted anytime a train goes by. Our family and friends in the city are in West Town, Cicero, Hinsdale and the West Side (near all the hospitals) so being relatively close to those areas would be preferred. Just out of curiosity, how much could we expect to pay an average 1 br apartment in some of these areas? How do the prices compare in areas around the loop to the West Side to Cicero and Berwyn, etc. Our friend in Cicero has a 2 br apartment he's paying $700/month for. Yes, the apartment building isn't very attractive and it's not a great part of town. However, the place itself is very decent. I know housing is more expensive in Chicago as a whole than housing in the Twin Cities but is it possible to find a decent 1 br apartment in a convenient location in the $700 range? I'm not saying this is our upper limit or anything, I'm just curious.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Alright Chicagoans, so we just spent some more time in your great city (and surrounding area) and we'd still like to consider the possibility of moving here in the next couple of years. Of course single family homes are nice and preferred. However, we aren't eliminating the possibility of moving into an apartment or condo in a high or mid-rise building with a decent view. I'd love to be within a reasonable walking distance to a metra or L station, although probably not so close that all conversations are muted anytime a train goes by. Our family and friends in the city are in West Town, Cicero, Hinsdale and the West Side (near all the hospitals) so being relatively close to those areas would be preferred. Just out of curiosity, how much could we expect to pay an average 1 br apartment in some of these areas? How do the prices compare in areas around the loop to the West Side to Cicero and Berwyn, etc. Our friend in Cicero has a 2 br apartment he's paying $700/month for. Yes, the apartment building isn't very attractive and it's not a great part of town. However, the place itself is very decent. I know housing is more expensive in Chicago as a whole than housing in the Twin Cities but is it possible to find a decent 1 br apartment in a convenient location in the $700 range? I'm not saying this is our upper limit or anything, I'm just curious.
It is very possible to find 1BR's for $700.

However, it most likely will not include A/C or central heat; it will be radiator heat.

The west town community area encompasses a few neighborhoods, so it all depends on what you'd like. It looks like most good 1BR's in Bucktown are $750 and up. They may be even more in Wicker Park or Noble Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago