Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,423,750 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of the outdoor scenes of Hill Street Blues was filmed in Chicago. Do any of you Chi-towners know where exactly they used to shoot? Having moved from BOS down to DFW I'm getting addicted to this show cuz I'm jonesing for some old northern city grit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times
The police station is the old Maxwell Street station (exterior shots only). It's still there today, but is now the UIC Police Department. Otherwise they shot all around the city. The squad cars look just like Chicago squads, but have the department name changed to "Metro Police".

Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,423,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The police station is the old Maxwell Street station (exterior shots only). It's still there today, but is now the UIC Police Department. Otherwise they shot all around the city. The squad cars look just like Chicago squads, but have the department name changed to "Metro Police".
Thanks for the info. I'll google map it.

I'm gonna get some snaps of different shots from the show. I'll post em and we'll see if you guys can tell me where in CHI these shots are from. Being almost 30 years ago, it may be kinda challenging!

Edit: Oh wow that's cool! I found it on Google maps. First thing I noticed is they actually used the real street name for the cross st (Morgan St). And wow, that neighborhood is cleaned up! Talk about urban renewal! Did it real used to be as much of a mess as it looked in HSB or was that just set decoration? Has that college always been there?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Yes it's cleaned up quite a bit. The University has been there for decades, but has only recently spawned student-oriented neighborhoods nearby (UIC has traditionally been a commuter school, but that's beginning to change a little).

Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
...I'm gonna get some snaps of different shots from the show. I'll post em and we'll see if you guys can tell me where in CHI these shots are from. Being almost 30 years ago, it may be kinda challenging! ...
Sounds good.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:40 PM

151 posts, read 411,111 times
Not to discourage you or anything, but a lot of HSB was actually filmed in LA. Kind of surprising that they could find parts of LA that looked that rundown and gritty, at least in the early 80's. Still, there were some location shots filmed in Chicago, especially the title sequence. I always loved the cop car with its lights on going past the Old Style sign in the snow....SO old-school Chicago.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

The Wikipedia entry actually has a lot of information about filming locations, and city references in the show. It's pretty interesting. They never named the fictional city, and some of the references in the show conflict with one another.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,341 times
Does anyone know the name of a meat market/butcher shop located somewhere on Maxwell street. I know the one called Meyers, but there was another one. Had to have been sometime around the late 50's or early 60's.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,964 times
Default Q about Hill Street blues opening credit sequence

In the Hill Street blues opening credit sequence, after 10 seconds, police cars drive from right and turn towards camera. In that scene background there's a bridge, some smoke pipes and a large high building (or perhaps there are actually several buildings, but it looks like one building with some wings or other shape, not ordinary box style).

Does anyone know what that large building is and what's it's address? It's profile looks like a big hospital here in Finland, and that made me very curious at 80's. Hill street blues is now on 3rd run here, and still very good tv serie. Perhaps internet time makes it possible to finally get answer to my question...

ps: I read this interesting thread. I learned some interesting things about HSB at IMDB.com, for instance that most of scenes were shot in LA, California. Not like Chicago, eh?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Welcome to Chicago, Caveman57 from Finland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago