Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

If you want to be really close to the Magnificent Mile (shopping) go with the Tremont Hotel or Sutton Place.

Ambassador East Hotel‎ is fairly close to the Mag Mile, but it is in the Gold Coast surrounded by mansions and luxury condos. Nothing really is going on down the side streets over there. The closest center of action around there are the bars on Rush Street and Division which I doubt you would like.

Personally I think the Palmer House is the superior choice out of all the ones you mentioned. It is in the Loop and centrally located to all the things you mentioned you plan on doing.

Forget about the Travelodge (at the price quoted price.)

Btw:
How many nights are those prices quoted for? Are they quoted for 6 nights? Do the prices include taxes? Are those quotes per person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jen View Post
...My partner and I will be visiting Chicago (to see the Bears Vs. Packers game, 12/13/09) 12/09/09 - 12/15/09. I've been looking on the travel sites and need some assistance on hotel location...
P.S. I looked on the Hilton website and was able to pull up a room at the Palmer House (double occupancy/king size bed/non-smoking) for the dates you mentioned for $823.96 with taxes included.

It comes out to about $133.37 per night total or $68.66 each person per night.

I suppose the last question would be how much is the airfare (without the hotel included) with taxes included per person?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-21-2009 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I've stayed in the Arlington Int. Hostel 38/ a person and up to 6 people per room.

Arlington House Hostel in Chicago - Cheap Accommodation for International Backpackers

Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
I highly recommend Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor

On Tripadvisor, you will find many reviews by individual travelers for each of the hotels you mentioned.

If I were a tourist coming to Chicago I'd personally want to be on/just off N Michigan Ave(Mag. Mile) I would checkout current reviews for the Tremont/Sutton Pl/Ambassador and then decide.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
vrbo.com

Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 53,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First of all, scratch Travelodge off your list. It's a Buick on a list of otherwise Mercedes hotels.
That said, remind us again what you'll be in town for?
LOL, thanks! And I think a lot of the reviews said it’s pretty noisy because of the train behind it?
I’ll be there vacationing for the Bears Vs. Packers game. J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfindude View Post
Well, you might want to just do the airfare and bid on a hotel through Priceline. But, given the list, I"d skip on the Palmer House. Ambassador East is nice,though haven't stay in years. I heard they did a big upgrade. Tremont, right off Michigan AVe, and the Hancock would be my first choice.
Thanks. Palmer House is a bit on the older side, eh? The upgrade at Ambassador East is good to know about, at least it sounds like it won’t be too outdated. Flight alone is around $800, depending on how many stops, time, etc. So, I don’t think I’ll go that route. Plus, I think I want to be able to pick the hotel and not just hope I land a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If you want to be really close to the Magnificent Mile (shopping) go with the Tremont Hotel or Sutton Place.
Ambassador East Hotel‎ is fairly close to the Mag Mile, but it is in the Gold Coast surrounded by mansions and luxury condos.
Personally I think the Palmer House is the superior choice out of all the ones you mentioned. It is in the Loop and centrally located to all the things you mentioned you plan on doing.
Forget about the Travelodge (at the price quoted price.)
Btw:
How many nights are those prices quoted for? Are they quoted for 6 nights? Do the prices include taxes? Are those quotes per person?
Sounds like Travelodge is definitely out for us. LOL. Thanks for giving perspective on the location of the hotels, that really helps. We’re not into shopping too much, but want to do a lot of the touristy things.
What’s the style of the Palmer House? The price listed was for flight + 5 night hotel stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I've stayed in the Arlington Int. Hostel 38/ a person and up to 6 people per room.

Arlington House Hostel in Chicago - Cheap Accommodation for International Backpackers
Thank you but for a first timer, I think I’d like to stay in a hotel. J

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I highly recommend Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor

On Tripadvisor, you will find many reviews by individual travelers for each of the hotels you mentioned.

If I were a tourist coming to Chicago I'd personally want to be on/just off N Michigan Ave(Mag. Mile) I would checkout current reviews for the Tremont/Sutton Pl/Ambassador and then decide.
Yeah, we’re aiming for that. At least for this trip, if we take another, perhaps we’ll stay somewhere a little outwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
vrbo.com
OMG, thank you!!! I actually thought about doing this too, but was worried I’d get ripped off and then we’d be in a new, cold city with no place to go. LOL. I’ll check out this site in a bit.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 PM

60 posts, read 163,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
When you're in Chicago in December, make sure to check out the Christkindlmarket in the Daley Plaza. It is a surprisingly nice cold weather festival.

Christkindlmarket Chicago :: Events (http://www.christkindlmarket.com/event.html - broken link)
This is a fabulous thing to do. Plus, the hot mulled wine will sure warm you up.
As far as Priceline, check out the below to see what prices people get. (I think this is the right spelling/link. but if it doesn't work, google it.) This is a great resource. Don't be afraid to use priceline bidding. We have had great luck with it.

biddingfortravel.com

Old 08-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Though some hardcore BEARS fans do try!

I would suggest that you not buy your winter wear in Hawaii; maybe Alaska or wait till you hit Chicago if you have the time to shop. Alaska has much warmer gear and that just might be your ticket if you will be bringing the gear on the plane with you. You could review the Alaska forum for help with that. There are some great people in that state.
As far as winter clothing, really,wait till you get here. Every store will have it on sale. I like Eddie Bauer or Land End, or LL Bean, for that matter, but their catalogs will certainly be for full price. Macy's (or as it is known here, Marshall Fields) is only one of many stores that will have just about everything on sale. Actually, if you want to do a lot of shopping here, stay out in Schaumburg, across from Woodfield Mall. One of the largest in the US.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jen View Post
...Sounds like Travelodge is definitely out for us. LOL. Thanks for giving perspective on the location of the hotels, that really helps. We’re not into shopping too much, but want to do a lot of the touristy things.

What’s the style of the Palmer House? The price listed was for flight + 5 night hotel stay...
The Palmer House just went through a major rehab of the interior rooms and restoration of the facade. It is a old hotel, but its is very classy.

Hilton Chicago Illinois Hotel - Palmer House Hotel - Chicago, IL Hotels

"...embarked on a $170 million renovation that included upgrading about 1,000 of the hotel’s rooms..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/re...al/26sqft.html

If you are doing many touristy things I would stay in the Loop or close to it. Staying near or on the Mag Mile would not make any sense. (Especially if you are not going to do much shopping.)

Btw: The suggestion of staying in Schaumburg is beyond comprehension.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-21-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfindude View Post
This is a fabulous thing to do. Plus, the hot mulled wine will sure warm you up.
Yes, indeed! Its forty degrees outside (usually) and like a summer festival.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Yes, indeed! Its forty degrees outside (usually) and like a summer festival.
Man, you weren't there the days I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago