Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,105 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will graduate from Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO next December. While that is a ways away, I am going to a college hire interview for Marriott International in March. At that point, I will have needed to decide which area I want to relocate to. Lately I've been considering Chicago and would appreciate any information on the following thoughts!!!
*I want to live in a big city with lots to do, bars, nightlige, recreation (i'm also single and looking to meet new friends)
*I want to live in a place with 4 seasons if possible, comments on weather?? I'm used to rough winters but am also looking for a place with active summers.
*The idea of the lake in the summertime is a big plus, any comments on that aspect of living in Chicago??
*I don't want to bring a car, i would be working right downtown (Magnificant Mile) and need information on hip, safe, affordable (I'll be making around 36K) areas to live that would also allow me to use public transportation to get to work
*ANY comments on what its like to live in Chicago when you're a 20 something relocating would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
**Also, what are the people like, frinedly? easy to make friends? ect...

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM

161 posts, read 699,299 times
Chicago and especially the North Side of Chicago sounds perfect for your lifestyle. As far as people in Chicago go, for the most part they are friendly, but just like in college, certain types of people live in certain areas (frat boys in lincoln park, artsy people in wicker park, etc.), so i would do some research on the different neighborhoods and depending on your personality, go from there.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
There are a lot of threads about "friendliness" in Chicago. Basically its a mixed review.

I and others think that it is very hard to make reliable friends in the city. I personally think you find less common courtesy, bigger egos, and more "showy" people than you would find somewhere else.

But, that also depends on how outgoing you are, and if you choose a place to live where you'll be in a building or in a neighborhood that has lots of single, college age people.

Good luck on your plans! If possible, spend a week "couch surfing" in Chicago, or visiting various neighborhoods. You have plenty of time before your move to check it out in person.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 PM

455 posts, read 1,017,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
There are a lot of threads about "friendliness" in Chicago. Basically its a mixed review.

I and others think that it is very hard to make reliable friends in the city. I personally think you find less common courtesy, bigger egos, and more "showy" people than you would find somewhere else.

But, that also depends on how outgoing you are, and if you choose a place to live where you'll be in a building or in a neighborhood that has lots of single, college age people.

Good luck on your plans! If possible, spend a week "couch surfing" in Chicago, or visiting various neighborhoods. You have plenty of time before your move to check it out in person.
I sure hope dear old Emily sees your post before she moves.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:30 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Old 08-29-2009, 01:44 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Well, I didn't notice the date.

But I never feel a delayed post is a waste of time or energy. Someone will come to the board another day and do a search for "Chicago" and find this one, and read whatever is here.

I happened to find this thread because it appeared today in the "similar threads" list on a page I was reading. So obviously the "similar threads" system does not take the age of the thread into account.

May the next reader enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: