Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 AM

773 posts, read 779,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^Man those all (except Dingbats) sound like gay or at least gay friendly bars or clubs. Were they? I would assume that they were since those are the kind of clubs and bars that broke disco.^
They didn't start out as gay but turned gay over time. Disco music had that effect on people. The more you listened to it or danced to it, the quicker you'd become gay. Mr. T started out as a homophobe but after working in disco bars for a long time ended up becoming a flaming gay. He later went into therapy with Steve Dahl as his therapist. It is said Mr. T's salvation out of gayness happened when his therapist held the Disco Demolition night at Comiskey Park. Many people were cured of their gayness that night. Hallelujah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM

152 posts, read 492,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Which one of those places on Broadway had the tv screen above the entrance with a person tapping a guy on the top of his head to the tune "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover?"
I think it's safe to say it wasn't Carol's or Broadway Limited cuz I would've remembered that!

Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,181,952 times
^^^^
No, I think it was Broadway Sams (on Broadway north of Diversey and just before Surf St).

Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjack60 View Post
My sister and her friends were regulars there, but we're trying to remember the name of another club on belmont ave. and menard across from the "ihop" aprox. 5800 west . any help???
We're looking for people that went to Bubba's Zone One Disco. Please pass on this link to our Facebook Group [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609351172625868/[/url]

I'm Debbie W. I went there in the mid to late 80's. I hung out with several different groups there. Anyone remember Lenny, the DJ? He knew how to get people out on the dance floor.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,188 times
Cool Bubba's Zone One Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Shirt View Post
My boyfriend of 3 years was the owner of Bubbas Zone one disco. It's nice to hear positive things about his old place. He is still a good dancer, and we love to go dancing to the old disco tunes which are usually only played these days at class reunions and dinner dance benefits, like for "Paws" humane society in Rockford recently.
I can't wait to show him this! Lot's of people still call him Bubba. I just call him John. He still lives in that neighborhood.
Hi, I'm Debbie W. I went to Bubba's in the mid to late 80's. I knew John, through Lenny the DJ. Lenny and I dated for a short time.

I loved the place and people so much, I even went there when he changed it over to a country bar, with the bull. But it was during that time that the regulars would slowly fade away, including myself.

Please let John know that we have a group on Facebook, for Bubba's Zone One Disco. He should join. I bet he knows a lot of people from way back in the day.
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609351172625868/[/url]

Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,715 times
No Mr. t came after we advertised on WVON in 1976 and the club turned mostly black. Rons original partner in Dingbats was gay as was Ron and they had a short stint as a gay club, but it did not work. Ron had a after hours disco behind Marshell Field's on Wabash as it was a burger joint by day, when he started Dingbats. Took about a year to take off. but what a blast we has when it did.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,342,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ford View Post
No Mr. t came after we advertised on WVON in 1976 and the club turned mostly black. Rons original partner in Dingbats was gay as was Ron and they had a short stint as a gay club, but it did not work. Ron had a after hours disco behind Marshell Field's on Wabash as it was a burger joint by day, when he started Dingbats. Took about a year to take off. but what a blast we has when it did.
Dingbats!! Used to go to the "kiddie disco" there on Sunday afternoons. I was still in elementary school and had a blast. Don't think any clubs could do that now. We would go to the bar and get non-alcoholic drinks.

Another odd but cool thing at Dingbats were the many neon sculptures. One kid would touch and hold a piece of the sculpture while touching another kid to give an electric shock. So weird, so 1970's.

Went to Dingbat's on a Sunday and seemed like the next day Steve Dahl was at Comiskey breaking albums and saying that disco sucks. I remember saying to someone, "I thought we LIKED disco?" Anyway...

Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,715 times
Thumbs up disco days

I remember the Pheonex on Broadway, great little Disco, them it went big and ruined itself, There will never be better music to dance to than Disco.... Just ask the 1000's that came to Dingbats every night, I would got home at 4:30 am fly from Migs field across lake Michigan to Michigan City and fly back at 10:30am the next day, 6 days a week, loving every minuet of it. Dingbats was a cash cow. Even today when I am in Chicago I can't believe how many people I run into that remember the club. Supergroovealistic profuncafication at it's finest. Short Dog

Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
Zorines ...wasn't that where Lawrence Tero ( aka "Mr. T" ) was the bouncer ?? Another Google adventure
He was the bouncer at Ding Bats

Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
They didn't start out as gay but turned gay over time. Disco music had that effect on people. The more you listened to it or danced to it, the quicker you'd become gay. Mr. T started out as a homophobe but after working in disco bars for a long time ended up becoming a flaming gay. He later went into therapy with Steve Dahl as his therapist. It is said Mr. T's salvation out of gayness happened when his therapist held the Disco Demolition night at Comiskey Park. Many people were cured of their gayness that night. Hallelujah!
Funny as hell not sure if you're serious or if this is a backhanded joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago