Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times

Advertisements

Wow! this and another list I found bring back so many memories of places my college roommates used to go when we came home! I met my ex at Ron Briskman's Hideout downtown on Wabash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,897 times
Anyone remember the "Fire Alarm" near Austin Blvd & Ogden Ave. I mostly hung out at the 1-2-3 but we'd travel around to Prime & Tender, Bitter end, Cinderella Rockafella. And a local joint on Long Ave and Addison(?) was a lounge and across the street a hot dog stand that made the best Taco dogs...or maybe they were only the best after midnight!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:50 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne Deb View Post
Anyone remember the "Fire Alarm" near Austin Blvd & Ogden Ave. I mostly hung out at the 1-2-3 but we'd travel around to Prime & Tender, Bitter end, Cinderella Rockafella. And a local joint on Long Ave and Addison(?) was a lounge and across the street a hot dog stand that made the best Taco dogs...or maybe they were only the best after midnight!
I know that hot dog stand!!! used to buy hotdogs and fresh cut fries there.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte76 View Post
Hi, I am writing a book and I need some information on disco clubs in the Chicago area, I need one that was around in 1976 and I'm looking for one that was a little Saturday night feverish and also a little Studio 54ish, or one similar to the one in the movie Thank God it's Friday. Any information given would be so helpful!
The disco (like Studio 54 in NY) was called "Coconuts." It was on the west side of Sheridan Road at Glenlake. Just south of the Wing Hoe Restaurant.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
I was a recruit at Great Lakes Illinois and we had finally got a chance to get out and explore, we caught a train to somewhere I believe it was the south side of Chicago, wherever the Sears Tower was located. We watched it sway in the breeze because it was pretty windy and cold that night. We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant and then we caught a cab to the DingBat club. Me and my buddies had a great time. The first time I had a white Russian. Scored some weed that night,simply FABULOUS. Got back to the barracks, told the fellas about it, the whole barracks was there the next night. Met a real nice girl that first night we had on all black uniforms even had champagne never will forget it. 18yrs old from SE Washington DC thanks for a great experience.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:42 PM

321 posts, read 279,697 times
Bombay bicycle club. Or. Bbc

Old 08-30-2019, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
Wow spent many nights at Aldies Cal City behind the bowling alley... great nights
Devils Place with phones on every table ... Harvey

Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_o6K_OKlW0

Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
Hi, came across this thread. I did the disco scene back in the 70s, so this thread was interesting. I would love to read the novel by the OP if it is out.

Places I remember dancing at were Charley's on Diversey I think it was; 123, BBC, Mother's, and the Hang-Uppe. Also Galaxy on the near north side, where the big McDonalds is now. I used to go dancing at a place on Harlem and Irving, it was a disco and then it became an Oldies place (which I also liked). Also the place on Irving and Long, when it was a disco. Also La Mere Vipere before it burned down.

Also the oldies place the McCormick Inn (aka the Fire Station) on the top floor of the McCormick Hotel. Later I went to Blue Suede Shoes in Rosemont. Some places I just can't recall the names, but they likely aren't there anymore.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
In the book, Operation: Family Secrets, Frank Calabrese, Jr. talks about when he was a bouncer at 123. He said it was like a scene from Saturday Night Fever, and his job was to make sure all the good Elmwood Park boys behaved, as best as possible... sounds like it was a cool place. By tbe way, he gives THE BEST "Chicago Gangster" tour! If you haven't taken it, and are interested in a first hand experience, I HIGHLY recommend it. You won't be disappointed. You could ask him about the 123 days, I suppose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago