U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM

4,038 posts, read 9,748,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Did Mr.T work there when it was gay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagodan View Post
No question about it. The earliest - and best - discos in the seventies were gay. Funny you say that Avengerfire... out of all the bars that Manigault mentions, the only one that actually was gay (for a short time) was Dingbats, 247 E. Ontario.
Dingbats was not a gay disco. As a matter of fact, Mr. T., from an incident I witnessed, gave off a decidedly anti-gay aura and anti-gay rhetoric.

I was there several times between 74-79 and saw maybe 5% gay couples.

To each his own taste, but many good dance clubs (like Sweet Georgia Brown) were not homosexual-oriented at all.

Now I remember! There was 'The Taste' at 64th near Halsted. Some of the Bulls (like Quintin Dailey) used to hang out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM

68 posts, read 192,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagodan View Post
(This from discomusic.com)

DingBats
247 East Onterio St., Chicago, IL

Owner Ron Briskman
DJ Jon Ford

Bouncer Mr T. Dingbats was the largest black disco in Chicago, home to the Chicago bears/bulls.
Typical Jew, Briskman, making money off gays and blacks....disco sucked.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

367 posts, read 832,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisklaw View Post
Typical Jew, Briskman, making money off gays and blacks....disco sucked.
My Troll alert is going off.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM

118 posts, read 459,093 times
My mom worked at a place called Dingbats (right spelling?) where Mr. T was the bouncer. You might be able to google something about the club. let me know if you can't and I'll try to pull specifics from mom.

She was a cocktail waitress there in the later 70's and met Rick James, Mick Jagger, and some others.

Anyone remember this place???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwsinTxs View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm working on a novel, and I need to know the name of any disco club that was located in Chicago, in the 1970's....specifically, in 1974

All I need is the name of the club, but if you have firsthand knowledge of it, I'd love to know any other details, the location, names of owners, looks of the club interioir or exterior, if they had any particular 'theme' as far as decor etc etc.

Thanks!

dws

Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM

367 posts, read 832,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
and met Rick James, Mick Jagger, and some others.

I think I would bow and exclaim that I'm not worthy.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM

152 posts, read 447,065 times
As you can see, DWS, there were a number of discos here in Chicago in the '70s. Many, if not most, catered to select crowds. It might help if you gave some directive as to what kind of place it is you were looking for.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM

1,843 posts, read 6,650,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Anyone remember this place???
Many pleasant memories at Dingbats - the kiddie disco part that is. 7th/8th grade weekly event. The bartenders served us grenadine "drinks". They had lots of neon sculptures and signs. We would hold hands with each other, while at the same time one held onto the neon sign to get an electrical shock!! Loved it!

Next thing I knew Steve Dahl was at Sox park saying, "Disco sucks". I remember clearly thinking, "What the? I though we loved disco?!!"

Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 25,177 times
Thanks everybody! I really love all this info. The 'scene' in my novel is only a couple of pages, but I ave not skimped on all the research I did for the rest of the novel...all dialogue, music mentioned, events talked about all all thoroughly checked out before I put them in there. Even though it's definitely a work of fiction, I want all the music, places, dialogue etc etc to be authentic.

This helps a LOT.....too much in fact. . . It makes me want to expand the disco scene, and include Mr T of Mick Jagger or whomever....LOL. . .and now I can't decide which disco name to use.

I was 'of age' in 74, but I never got 'into' the disco scene at all.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:26 PM

6,290 posts, read 21,560,253 times
Hello, Dws.

I see you've gotten several replies. I thought you probably would. As you can see, I've made a few replies on this website myself. ;-)

See you on AW.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

118 posts, read 459,093 times
I didn't know they had a kiddie dosco. lol That's soooo cute! I wish there were kiddie discos now to occupy the kiddies time besides video games.

I don't know if the forum leader wants to put this in his book, but my mom said she witnessed Rick James shoving up quite a bit of coke with the disco chicks. Mick Jagger was a perfect gentleman.

Maybe you could contact Mr.T????? He lives in Lake Forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Many pleasant memories at Dingbats - the kiddie disco part that is. 7th/8th grade weekly event. The bartenders served us grenadine "drinks". They had lots of neon sculptures and signs. We would hold hands with each other, while at the same time one held onto the neon sign to get an electrical shock!! Loved it!

Next thing I knew Steve Dahl was at Sox park saying, "Disco sucks". I remember clearly thinking, "What the? I though we loved disco?!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago