Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,116 times

Advertisements

Well the award for survival goes to Mothers on Rush St. Others come and go but somehow it has stayed for 40 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,507 times
Default Disco's in Chicago

There were a few in Chicago. One was Faces on Rush and BBC on Division St. and 1,2, 3 on the West side.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURGEDS View Post
SASAFRAS - It was located ate harlem and Irving - - across the stree from a records store. SOPs on River Rd and in Arlington Heights
When did SOP's (some other place pub) in Schiller Park on River Rd. become a disco place? Asking because
I worked there during disco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb B View Post
S.O.P.'s in Glenview (Some Other Place) was huge and drew a great crowd. Chicago Bull players and others as well as some great dancers and regulars. Name was changed around 1976 to McGreevey's and remained a good spot for a few years. I believe it later became another Butch MaGuire's.

Snuggery was sort of a snob crowd and poor dancing, more for pickups
The original Snuggery in Edison Park didn't have disco but the one on Rush had one?
Have a question if someone remembers. There was a big disco place, off of Dempster which was
always packed. Anyone remember the name or the exact location?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
The Savoy (near Northbrook)

Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 25,161 times
The Time Machine on Golf Road in Niles, same type of dance floor as in Saturday Night Fever
The Barn of Barrington, lines out the door on weekends
The Disconnection in Palatine, 4 AM liquor license, alot of people went after the barn closed
The Bitter end near Belmont & Central, great live bands
Down the block on Central Avenue "Shags", George's Show Lounge on Milwaukee Ave, Niles
There was also a big Lounge on the 5500 Block of Irving Park, anybody remember the name?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 PM

The "Mint Julep" on Irving Park, just east of Central had black walls, accented with alot of red. Huge dance floor, live bands on Saturday nights. Use to feature great acts such as CTA (Now Chicago), Rufus (Lead singer was Chaka Khan) and others. Always packed during the mid 70's.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Other hot spots were "The Time Machine" in Niles that featured a replica of the dance floor from Saturday Night fever and "George's Show Lounge" at Dempster and Milwaukee Avenue. My favorite was the Barn of Barrington, lines out the door every Friday and Saturday night. small packed dance floor, hang out for a few Hollywood "look alike's" like Gabe Kaplan, Lizi Minnelli, and the occasional Elvis, A good DJ that always took requests. Afterwards, a trip East to the "Disconnection" in Palatine because it was one of the few with a 4 AM license. In the city there was "1,2,3", "Bitter End", and "Shags" all near Belmont and Central.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,251 times
Hi, I was the system tech at Cinderlla's, the club was located at Euclid ave & Rohlwing road, or 3400 Euclid, I was the system operator for the five years the club was open, I have info about everything that went on, I have original tri folds of the club and the hotel and a post card of the club before (arlington park theater in the round). Open to any questions, Thanks [email]CONCERTPROS@TAMPABAY.RR.COM[/email]

Old 02-08-2014, 05:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
I know it's long gone, but the Wild Onion at the Hyatt Regency was a really classy place when I visited my relatives in the summer of 1979.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifujohnny View Post
The Nimbus which was located in Dolton, Il was part of the Ramada Inn. The bouncers were Shaolin Disciples. The Nimbus was reviewed and rated by Playboy Magazine in 1979 as being one of the top three Discos in the World along with Studio 54 and Xenon. It had these spinning glass pyramids that were situated on the stage and a flashing dance floor with multicolor lights. This was by far the most elegant of the discos in the Chicagoland area. Let me know if you need a contact for photos of the place or some more history. There were private rooms and various levels to the place. Another great place was the Charlie Club in Chicago. I believe it was the top four floors of the Ambassador hotel, but I could be wrong, it was so long ago. The Doorchester Senior Center is where the Nimbus used to reside in Dolton. The person who was in charge of maintenance and security of the building then is the same person that is in charge of it now. He can tell you everything you need to know about this fabulous club. He has several photos of the interior.
yes. all true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago