U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2006, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 124,049 times

Advertisements

Im from California and I saw some interesting things along the streets driving (getting happily lost) in Chicago. I was going on North street in a shady looking part-said Oak Park, but Im not sure, and I saw white boxes with flashing blue lights, mounted way up on poles. What is that all about?

Also, the center divider in some parts were painted, some had standard height curbs, but some had a 'short' curb of a few inches, like, you could drive over them, as I did...is it legal to drive up and over those things?

Just curious about a lot of things about Chicago. Its nothing like Los Angeles or other CA cities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 02:18 PM

28 posts, read 170,953 times
Those are police cameras. They have gone up around the city in 'high crime' areas as a deterrent.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamileena
Im from California and I saw some interesting things along the streets driving (getting happily lost) in Chicago. I was going on North street in a shady looking part-said Oak Park, but Im not sure, and I saw white boxes with flashing blue lights, mounted way up on poles. What is that all about?

Also, the center divider in some parts were painted, some had standard height curbs, but some had a 'short' curb of a few inches, like, you could drive over them, as I did...is it legal to drive up and over those things?

Just curious about a lot of things about Chicago. Its nothing like Los Angeles or other CA cities.
Well if it's not legal to drive up & over those curbs, the white boxes w/ blue lights have your number. I live an hour east of the "Windy City" and it's an awesome place to hang out.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,244,874 times
The white boxes with blue lights are police boxes that are supposedly able to detect gunfire and other things. So if gunfire (and whatever else) is detected as going off in the area, the police are notified. From what I gathered (based on driving around certain parts of town, mostly on the west side), they are placed in some 'high crime' areas.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,777 times
wow, exciting! does any one know if they actually work?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 AM

5 posts, read 59,611 times
i heard theres new cameras going up in Chicago to prevent graffiti and stuff like that..this really dissapoints me, i wish Chi-town would have a more open graff scene like CA

Old 08-16-2006, 07:44 AM

246 posts, read 261,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeweed420 View Post
i heard theres new cameras going up in Chicago to prevent graffiti and stuff like that..this really dissapoints me, i wish Chi-town would have a more open graff scene like CA
Open graff scene? Would your definition of 'open' include letting taggers express themselves on private property?

See, I'm a boot artist. I too have a talent of putting my marks in creative places. Do you reckon these graff artists would mind my expressing myself on the seat of their pants?

Magpies

Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,244,874 times
Smokeweed -- that is only partially the reason they are there. They also call the police to the area when it detects that shots have been fired. Also, there is a big difference between a graffitti artist and a gangbanger running around with a spraycan, the former I don't mind so much, the later, well, let the camera get him.

Taggers really annoy me too, there is nothing artistic about that crap scrawled on my front door, and cleaning it off gets old.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM

2,288 posts, read 5,635,265 times
The cameras absolutely work. Residents all over the city are begging for them on their blocks. Gang members aren't going to congregate where they're being watched.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:57 AM

22 posts, read 148,670 times
You were on North Ave, and must have been east of Austin. You were on the west side of Chicago, in one of the more crime-ridden neighborhoods. If you would have turn around on North ave and traveled West, you would have been on Oak Park on your left, and Elmwood park on your right, which are both much safer suburban neighborhoods that border Chicago. Sounds crazy i know. I live in River Forest, and there appears to be an invisible wall between it and Maywood - which you should never, ever drive through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago