Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 16,739 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Chicago when we retire. We would like to live in the city and have walking access to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Can you recommend an area of the city? We would like to find a small house or possibly condo or loft apartment. Lakeview? Roscoe Village? or any other recommendations? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
How much can you afford for housing?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
...and size requirements?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Depends on what you want to spend and how much action you want or can stand. My wife and I are empty nesters and enjoying the south Loop area at 14th and Michigan quite a bit; there's alot going on but not too much going on, know what I mean? Good mix of ages here for one. Close to the Lake, close to downtown, plenty of buses and El trains. Several good taverns, coffee shops and restaurants around but none are hectic or trendy. I'm taking piano lessons at the Fine Arts Building on Michigan at Congress and it's just a short walk or if I'm lazy a short ride on the Michigan Ave bus.

Can walk to the Jewel or Dominics on Roosevelt or a short drive to the much better Dominics at Ashland and Archer in McKinley Park. Close to Chinatown and Bridgeport, both neighborhoods I enjoy.

Lakeview would drive me crazy, too much going on and too noisy and too many young adults, kind of a YPG--young people's ghetto.

There are a great many condos for rent at reasonable rates and condo prices seem to be going down. This website is good for finding condos for sale and rent, it's where we found the place we're renting
http://www.urbanspan.com/

Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
West Loop ( east of the expressway) - Fulton Gate is similiar..close to a lot, but not too close or in the center of the action 24 by 7 . We have a few empty nesters in my building and a few others nearby. The younger demographic in the condo buildings seems to be mostly represented by post-grad school working the first or second stint of the career, so there's not a lot of 'party all night every night' going on .. Some of the rental buildings, that's a different story

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Size requirements are two bedrooms, price is variable, depending on sale of our home. The prices of the places I have seen so far are 'gulp' more than I thought. We are a few years away from this but are starting to think along the lines of Chicago because we have a kid living there and I have worsening vision and would like to be able to walk or take public transportation. Good info so far!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Small houses in desirable parts of Lakeview, Roscoe Village, or Lincoln Park are still HUGELY expensive. The reasons for this have to do with the fact that most will have offstreet parking and/or a garage and that alone is NOW far more expensive than ever due to the crazy lack of foresight that has spawned an explosion of big box retail in those areas -- people pretty much need to have a "suburban style" drive-to-store experience and are willing to pay a very large premium for it...

Condos in those neighborhoods are also warped by some of the same factors, as the large number of people in those neighborhoods that rely on cars to commute to jobs in the burbs and/or routinely drive for vacations and such has sky rocketed...

As Irishtom states, the over-building of condos in the South Loop may work to the OP's advantage as the savings can be quite significant and one can still walk / take public transit to a large number of stores, without the same level of "young person" overload that is common in other areas. Big difference between a neighborhood bar where one could watch a sporting event and sip some libation vs one packed with kids that have known each other since they were on some fraternity drinking binge together a decade and a half ago...

I would caution that Chicago is NOT an inexpensive place to live, high property taxes, high cost of living, drive many retirees to more affordable parts of the country. And of course our weather is not agreeable for those who suffer with weather related ailments...

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM

94 posts, read 257,576 times
We have to relocate to Boston and are considering leasing our house in quiet Jefferson Park, walk to all transportation 10 minutes away.

Though there really isn't a 'restaurant scene', it's a short drive up the road to Edison Park and Sauganash with terrific dining (French, Mexican, Italian, Brazilian, Polish, Irish pubs... name it). Whole Foods is 1 1/2 mi. away as is Caldwell Woods Forest Preserve for biking riding and trails.

pm if you might be interested and I can offer up details regarding features of our wonderful home!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM

Yikes, now I am getting scared off. Perhaps we should look at the 'burbs, although that doesn't necessarily work in all regards. Can someone tell me the name of neighborhoods in the 'south loop' or that the name of the neighborhood? Also, can anyone recommend a suburb, not too far from the city, that has an actual nice downtown area? Perhaps that would be an option, if we found a place that would allow walking access to the amenities like stores and restaurants, etc. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
^ Scared off because of what? You still have not revealed an estimate of how much can you afford. ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago