Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM

52 posts, read 120,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
No you didn't.

Also, you will probably never lose your virginity. Just sayin'.
=) We did talk through email. He seems pretty nice??

Last edited by LiVE2SURF; 09-01-2009 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: wrong quote, oops =)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren4 View Post
my son and I recently stayed in Evanston and drove down the shore to all the museums from there we walked a whole day on the Navy Pier and to downtown by all the skyscrapers. The skyline of Chicago is beautiful from Navy Pier. Have you ever been there? But please dont go by yourself! people were friendly but be careful. I am a father of three and wouldnt want my kids running around big city by themselves. Chicago has allot of history I found it interesting just going to some historic buildings and taking pictures.
I've always wanted to see the skyline in person, especially from the Lake.
I'll make sure that I don't go alone.
I'm gonna look all touristy with the picture taking and what not, lol.
I'll be taking pics of everything. =P

Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I am SHOCKED, STUNNED AND AMAZED that all the advocated of "urban living" and all its glorious diversity are not OVERFLOWING with suggestions. After all reading this Chicago board you would think that having kids in Chicago is the most wonderful experience possible.

"Go shopping"??? Isn't that pretty much the same as telling a kid "go hang out at the mall"?

Where are these FABULOUS opportunities to experience different cultures? All the glory and majesty of "dense living" and easy access to transportation? This is just an excuse for those over 21 to drink and not risk a DUI? Come on, not even I am that down on City living...

I know the Chicago Park District still has lots of field houses and stuff, don't they program any of those places with things for people too young to go to bars? What about things like the Old Town School of Folk Music? Too organized and suburban-like for the hipsters? What about art classes? Don't the City Colleges have some offerings? If the CTA is such a wonderful resource can't that be used by someone to take advantage of all the wonderous offerings of this urban paradise?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am SHOCKED, STUNNED AND AMAZED that all the advocated of "urban living" and all its glorious diversity are not OVERFLOWING with suggestions. After all reading this Chicago board you would think that having kids in Chicago is the most wonderful experience possible.

"Go shopping"??? Isn't that pretty much the same as telling a kid "go hang out at the mall"?

Where are these FABULOUS opportunities to experience different cultures? All the glory and majesty of "dense living" and easy access to transportation? This is just an excuse for those over 21 to drink and not risk a DUI? Come on, not even I am that down on City living...

I know the Chicago Park District still has lots of field houses and stuff, don't they program any of those places with things for people too young to go to bars? What about things like the Old Town School of Folk Music? Too organized and suburban-like for the hipsters? What about art classes? Don't the City Colleges have some offerings? If the CTA is such a wonderful resource can't that be used by someone to take advantage of all the wonderous offerings of this urban paradise?
Thanks for the suggestions! =)
I want to check out U of C too, I'll be going there in a year. =D

Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,749 times
OP, I do classes at Old Town School with my kid. They are pricey but if you are interested in learning how to play an instrument, a group class might be worth the money so that you can meet some people. FYI though, most will be older in the mid 20s-mid 40s.

I'm sure parks district does stuff for high school kids but the registration period was two weeks ago and they do not seem to offer any drop in programs at the field houses.

If I were a teenager living in Chicago, I'd get on some of the email lists for the parties that are thrown in Bridgeport, Pilsen and at MyOur House in Bronzeville. The organizers don't advertise so getting on the mailing list is basically a golden ticket to underaged drinking. As far as day time activities, Women and Children First bookstore in Andersonville offers a good deal of readings and also has a pretty excellent flyer section if you are interested in getting involved in any feminist, GLBT or political groups. They are another good way to meet people but watch out to avoid those CopWatch loonies if you aren't too keen on being arrested for protests. They liked to be "martyred" for some reason to show the inequities of the rich, white, bourg' kids.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

FABULOUS sarcasm.

I don't see any real argument against Chicago here. What is there for kids to do out in your non-urban neck of the woods? Hang out, hobbies, work, parties, drugs. It's the same everywhere, only the city has more places to "hang out". And yes, the CTA makes it much easier to get around. But being high-school age is boring wherever you go, so being in Chicago doesn't make much of a difference. I don't know what you were expecting.

If you don't like cities then what the hell are you doing at city-data.com?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Oh yeah, Live2Surf is obviously a narc. Why the hell would someone put "Bubbly =)" as their status? 2 days in a row? On a website as bland and serious as city-data?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Oh yeah, Live2Surf is obviously a narc. Why the hell would someone put "Bubbly =)" as their status? 2 days in a row? On a website as bland and serious as city-data?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
No you didn't.

Also, you will probably never lose your virginity. Just sayin'.
As long as he keeps dancing,singing, and dressing like this he won't :

YouTube - COLOR ME BADD-I WANNA SEX YOU UP

Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM

60 posts, read 173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There's not a whole lot to do in Chicago as a young person if you don't know people, other than the usual tourist stuff. All that I did around town until I turned 21 a few months ago was party with friends. I guess you could go to concerts if you're into music, but those cost money and there's not a lot of under-21, let alone under-18 shows around. You could go to bowling alleys and stuff like that but those are mostly populated with kids from the city who need to stay in there or else they'll be running around getting shot or pregnant. You could walk around alone in cool neighborhoods, it'll be kind of interesting. Overall, I'd just come back when you're 21 or when you get a fake ID. Good luck.
Sad, but true.

When standoffish, gauche drunkards like the loutish regulars of this very forum dominate the scene, you'll bet they'll wag their putrid bottles as some pathetic display of superiority.

Thankfully, there are still semi-prohibitionist places in America like Seattle where booze is but a secondary factor in the pulse of the city...take note, City with Cancerous Shoulders...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: