Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Probably not, but it would be a hell of a lot of work for you to find ten bungalows in some of those neighborhoods.
Well in a couple like Old Edgebrook and Old Norwood Park you would be correct for the most part. There are not many in those two neighborhoods. But there are a few.

My work would be cut out for me with those two, but I am pretty sure I can find ten in Old Norwood Park. Old Edgebrook would be quite a challenge since that neighborhood is very small.

The main problem with Old Edgebrook is many bungalows that were once in that neighborhood have been altered drastically or torn down to build much larger houses in the last ten years or so.

To tell you the truth I should not have added Old Edgebrook or Old Norwood Park to my list. I was just trying to be inclusive.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-05-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
hard to say seems like every time I look up there's a new one

Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
This is a good thread topic, and I hope I didn't set it back too much by getting snarky with Avengerfire.

I've seen some really awesome jumbo bungalows in Oak Park with great details, clay tile roofs, etc. There was one on Woodbine for sale a few months ago at a great price, but it needed a lot of work.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
What, so there are like two bungalows in Sauganash?...Prove me wrong...Not that anyone has time for this...
Here are a couple of them.

Look up on Google maps street view these addresses (of course the addresses are approximate) :

(2 on each side of the street opposite each other) 5830 N. Kenton

5844 N. Kilbourn

5838 N. Kilbourn

So that took me like 2 minutes and I found 4.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Here are a couple of them.

Look up on Google maps street view these addresses (of course the addresses are approximate) :

(2 on each side of the street opposite each other) 5830 N. Kenton

5844 N. Kilbourn

5838 N. Kilbourn

So that took me like 2 minutes and I found 4.
I got five on that block. None are particularly unique, though (keeping in with the original thread topic).

Old 09-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What do you think I am a moron?
No. I was just in a rage because a garbage truck nearly woke my daughter from her nap. Sorry about that.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
So LK, out of curiosity, what would be your preferred style of housing if you were purchasing in Oak Park? Currently we've got a pseudo-Georgian, but I think I'd eventually like to get a Victorian, or at least something with a large covered front porch.* Bungalows are nice but they tend to have small yards and usually small porches.

* Easier to sit out front and yell at kids on our lawn.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
So LK, out of curiosity, what would be your preferred style of housing if you were purchasing in Oak Park? Currently we've got a pseudo-Georgian, but I think I'd eventually like to get a Victorian, or at least something with a large covered front porch. Bungalows are nice but they tend to have small yards and usually small porches.
In my price range I'm likely to get an American Foursquare if I don't get a bunglow. There's a type of Foursquare in Oak Park called a "Gunderson" which is a bit nicer than standard south Oak Park stuff. But if I could get anything, I'd probably go with a brick full two-story home of any style with a premium roofing material like clay tile or slate. And with a large front porch. I'm not particular about style, though I dislike Spanish Colonial and Tudor to some degree.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
In my price range I'm likely to get an American Foursquare. There's a type of Foursquare in Oak Park called a "Gunderson" which is a bit nicer than standard. But if I could get anything, I'd probably go with a brick full two-story home of any style with a premium roofing material like clay tile or slate.
Ah, the four-squares are cute. Looked at quite a few of them when we were buying a few years ago. Haven't been inside any Gundersons, but they look nice (and a bit bigger) from the street.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Id say Berwyn. Oak Park undoubtedly has some nice ones, but I wouldnt say it defines the towns image the way it does for Berwyn.

I mean, in North Berwyn you'll be hard pressed to find a block that contains anything OTHER than a bungalow. And almost all of them are still architecturally intact: stained glass windows, pattererend bricks, clay roofs, terra cotta, carved moldings, unique designs, jumbo sizes...you name it.

There was also a fantastic spread a couple years ago in a dwelling magazine which spotlighted Berwyn bungalows:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago