Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 AM

34 posts, read 432,083 times

Advertisements

Okay i've been pouring over the mass transit maps, trying to figure out if i could live in Chicago without a car. I think I can, but i wanted to get the view from some locals on how feasible this would be...

From the looks of things, if i lived in Oak Park, i could commute downtown on the blue line or green line from Oak Park, and I could commute out to Carol Stream from Oak Park on the Metra system. Is this accurate? If it is, how feasible is this for use each day?

Any help would be great, thanks.

On a separate note, how is the area out near O'Hare on the the blue line, like the Harlem/Jefferson Park/Montrose area. Does this area have a nice residential section or no?

Thanks again!

Last edited by TheMac; 09-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: additional question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Mass transit in the city is pretty comprehensive, but the key to efficient mass transit is living near an CTA L station and having most of your destinations also be near an L station, preferably on the same line. That's most likely to happen if you live on the north side.

Mass transit in the suburbs sucks unless you can drive or walk to a Metra station and you work downtown, or if you live downtown and work right near a Metra station. There is a suburban bus service called Pace but it has HUGE coverage gaps and many lines run infrequently. Personally, there's no way in hell I'd try to commute to Carol Stream without a car.

The Harlem/Montrose area (I believe that's Harwood Heights) is nice enough, but it's basically suburban in form and feel. In fact that is a suburb -- there are two suburbs up on the northwest side (Harwood Heights and Norridge) that border each other but are otherwise surrounded by the city on all four sides. Jefferson Park is more urban but you still won't mistake it for Brooklyn. It has a good mix of apartment/multi-unit buildings and SFHs.

Last edited by Drover; 09-15-2009 at 02:07 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 01:57 AM

34 posts, read 432,083 times
Thanks for the response.

Yeah thats kind of what I figured. I mean I have a car and everything, but I kind of want to sell it. The Metra line would drop off about 2.5 miles from where I need to be in Carol Stream, so that'd be a somewhat doable walk.

Does the Metra/L allow you to take bicycle's on board?

Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Not during rush hour.

Oh, and that "somewhat doable walk" would add at least another 45 minutes to your commute each way, by that time you're looking at spending nearly every waking moment either at work or getting to or from work.

And how "doable" would that walk be in winter? Do you even know if there are sidewalks between the station and your workplace?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
btw Jefferson Park is NOT a suburb, it's actually a city neighborhood.

(I'm only pointing that out because I have a friend who is downright CONVINCED that it IS A SUBURB no matter how many times I tell her it's not.)

Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
^ You might have to kick her in the head a few times. If she states that in public, people are going to think your friend is retarded and may, by extension, think you are as well! ^

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Are you sure you can commute from Oak Park to Carol Stream by public transit. It depends on where you job is located. You would have to take the Metra to (probably) Wheaton then transfer to a Pace bus that hopefully goes close to your job. If your job is located close to a Pace bus route, its definitely doable. I see lots of Metra riders get off at Wheaton and transfer to buses.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Really? That strikes me as odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Are you sure you can commute from Oak Park to Carol Stream by public transit. It depends on where you job is located. You would have to take the Metra to (probably) Wheaton then transfer to a Pace bus that hopefully goes close to your job. If your job is located close to a Pace bus route, its definitely doable. I see lots of Metra riders get off at Wheaton and transfer to buses.
Wheaton has no particularly dense employment center. The DuPage County government center is probably the largest site for employment, but it is hardly a place that has massive number of workers.
The other large employer in Wheaton that is almost walking distance from the Metra station would be Marianjoy Rehab hospital, it is around a mile from the station and I could imagine a lot of folks heading that way as it is just south of Roosevelt.

Central DuPage Hospital is technically in Winfield and one of the few hospitals in DuPage Co that is truly walkable from the Metra stop (it is about four blocks from the WINFIELD stop, no need for bus unless the weather is bad...)

If these folks are taking to Pace to any point in Carol Stream or other points north I suspect they are heading to domestic spots and their total transit times are quite high... " + theTitle + "

Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Chet, well "lot" is relative of course. Wheaton is definitely no Ogilvie, but on my reverse commute, Wheaton definitely has the plurality of disembarkments. No idea where they go, but a quick peak at pace website shows multiple buses which stop at Wheaton metra.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM

27 posts, read 226,333 times
a 2.5 mile walk is absolutely NOT doable in winter. The L does allow you to take you bike as long as it's not 7-9am or 4-6pm during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago