Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 98,428 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just got a job in Chicago which requires Chicago residency. I would like to live in a Chicago neighborhood with better school choices and lower crime rates. I am coming from Detroit. I was told Ashburn, Beverly and Chatham were good choices. Any feedback would be great!!! I would like to know mostly neighborhood info and school info. Are there any new constructions in the area? What are the property taxes like? Is it possible to get a home with a decent yard (more than 25x125 standard lot)? Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,359,222 times
all of the neighborhodds listed are good places for raising a family, Chatham would be considered on the southeast side however.

Property taxes on the southwest side have gone through the roof, mine are up 46%, some neighborhoods like Englewood are up as much as 74%.

Not much new construction going on in Ashburn or Beverly. I am unsure about Chatham though.

The biggest payoff
The Chatham area has been all the brink of becoming a top south side neighborhood for 20 years due to its proximity to Jackson Park, the lakefront and Metra Electric Line Train Service. It has been held down due to its proximity to poorer neighborhoods, but now that the south loop has become a world class neighborhood, other areas such as Bronzeville, South Shore, Oakland and Chatham are being bought up in droves by real estate speculators.

The safest bet
Ashburn is a bedroom community with very reasonable housing prices on standard size lots. Lots of block parties and neighbors looking after neighbors around here. Expect about a dozen people with home made apple pies at your door when you move in.

The most to offer
Beverly has been working on beautification of some of the nations most glorious homes since the early 70's, it features the 2nd largest historic district in the nation where the top architects of the turn of the century built everything from villas and castles to cottages and bungalows. The lots are exceptionally large as well, a 25x125 lot would be considered small in an area where 50 x 300 lots are not uncommon. The area also features the best schools on the south side and a very organized neighborhood association. www.bapa.org

My advice would be to come out and check out the areas before making a final decision.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM

Great information!! Do you have information on schools in Ashburn and Chatham? And what about the property taxes in all three areas?

Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,359,222 times
I dont have school info on Chatham or Ashburn you could check out the Chicago Pulic Schools Website. They have a report card for all schools

for tax info you can go to the chicago virtual assesors office at
www.cookcountyassessor.com/
to find out tax info on properties before you buy

Old 07-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Great!!!! The BAPA (Beverly neighborhood website) was very informative. Thanks for the info on the tax assesors office. I will check out the school site as well. Thanks!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:17 PM

32 posts, read 280,510 times
I agree with NSH those are some pretty good areas. Beverly, by far, is the best when it comes to public schools. Of course, the property taxes are high, as well as, the homes. I grew up in Ashburn, my son went to the private schools in the area. The best part of Ashburn is further west, which is still considered Chicago. They have an excellent grammar school - great schools.net - their test scores are impressive. The houses are less expensive than Beverly. West of Pulaski and South of 83rd st.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Very informative.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 96,254 times
Beverly is pricey, Morgan park is #2 after Beverly, and Mt Greenwood is also good, lots of cops and firemen live there. the zip codes are very segragated by race so if you don't care then you have more options.
Pull crime reports. Chatham is still the ghetto, (I know, Im a real estate investor) and its far away from being "hot" unless you are a section 8 slumlord

Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM

102 posts, read 162,069 times
I grew up in the Garfield Ridge area on the Southwest side of Chicago. It is a pretty nice area. The neighborhood is quiet and there are lots of kids. It is not considered the ghetto. Alot of policemen and firemen live in that area. The area code is 60638. Check out that area of the city. It is accessible to the Orange Line and the CTA buses (archer ave etc. etc) so if you work downtown, it will be a better commute.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM

102 posts, read 162,069 times
Garfield Ridge remains unchanged b/c the residents won't allow it to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago