Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:49 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times

Advertisements

I am visiting a guy friend in Chicago next month, and I would like some ideas on fun things we can do during the day. (a Saturday) We have plans for the evening, but I'm not sure what we can do in the daytime. He lives there, so I'm sure he's done everything, I have been to Chicago many times before and have done all the touristy things, shopping, museums, etc.

(We aren't dating, but we've been communicating long distance since June, there is definately romantic chemistry)

Also, I'm not a baseball fan so that would be out. He has already told me that it's up to me, and whatever I decide is fine, I hate it when guys say this, but I will take it and run with it this time! But, I need the help of some locals for ideas. He lives near Lincoln Park, close to the Yacht Club, I think.

Sorry this is long, but any ideas for an afternoon in the Windy City would be appreciated!!

*also, will it be long sleeve sweater weather, or wool coat weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
October will likely be light jacket weather. I always like just checking out neighborhoods. Strolling through Andersonville or Lincoln Square.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 PM

21 posts, read 89,795 times
Check out Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide for ideas.

This time of year is rather cool, so a light jacket is appropriate and some pashima scarves are nice acessories to wear.

1. Take a cooking class at The Chopping Block
2. There might be some wine tasting events. Check out The Tasting Room on Randolph.
3. The South Shore Cultural Center offers a lot.
4. There are a number of Theatres: Goodman, Lookinglass etc.
5. Check out a concert at the Chicago House of Blues
6. Corepower Yoga offers 1 week of free Yoga classes for new students/guests

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM

72 posts, read 261,425 times
there are always some street festivals going on (Chicago Events & Things to Do - Time Out Chicago), rent a bike and cycle along the lake front trail, maybe try the big balloon at Navy Pier (Historic Navy Pier - Things to Do - Rides & Attractions (http://www.navypier.com/things2do/rides_attract/aeroballoon.html - broken link))

have a good time

Old 09-20-2009, 01:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,436 times
You can always try to get in to Kumas. If you get there right when they open at 11 you can usually get a table.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM

nice ideas thanks! I was actually thinking a cooking class would be fun! wine tasting is a nice idea, too. Although I don't want to get too tipsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestYoungCouple View Post
Check out Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide for ideas.

This time of year is rather cool, so a light jacket is appropriate and some pashima scarves are nice acessories to wear.

1. Take a cooking class at The Chopping Block
2. There might be some wine tasting events. Check out The Tasting Room on Randolph.
3. The South Shore Cultural Center offers a lot.
4. There are a number of Theatres: Goodman, Lookinglass etc.
5. Check out a concert at the Chicago House of Blues
6. Corepower Yoga offers 1 week of free Yoga classes for new students/guests

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

what type of food is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
You can always try to get in to Kumas. If you get there right when they open at 11 you can usually get a table.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM

thanks! I've been to Navy Pier and have seen all the highlights there, but I will check out the Time Out website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janinele View Post
there are always some street festivals going on (Chicago Events & Things to Do - Time Out Chicago), rent a bike and cycle along the lake front trail, maybe try the big balloon at Navy Pier (Historic Navy Pier - Things to Do - Rides & Attractions (http://www.navypier.com/things2do/rides_attract/aeroballoon.html - broken link))

have a good time

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM

thanks!! I want to look cute!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
October will likely be light jacket weather. I always like just checking out neighborhoods. Strolling through Andersonville or Lincoln Square.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
what type of food is it?
I think they won best hamburger in the country or something. Their food is amazing, the place is jam packed and the play heavy metal and have a great beer selection so it's kind of one of those go just to say you've been joints. The locals hate the write up it got since now you can never get a seat in less then 2 hours but, like I said, if you get there right when they open the wait is minimal.
Kuma's Corner - Avondale - Chicago, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: