Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 19,626 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

i've dug through the forums trying to get an answer to my questions but I'm not getting anything satisfactory. If you can help, PLS chime in!

I'm looking for REAL life demographics on:
Albany Park,
Irving Park &
Avondale.

AND i dont mean stats and numbers, but info from peops like you that actually live there or know of these areas well.

Are these 3 areas mainly hispanic? If yes, are we talking about middle class hispanic?
If not mainly hispanic, are these areas fairly racially diverse? what nationality would you say predominately lives there then? polish maybe? Are these areas 'relatively' safe?

Responses are REALLY appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Yes,Albany Park is mostly hispanic, that doens't mean it's not diverse since the hispanics are all from different countries themselves.
The class depends.. they range from poor immigrants to those who have established and become middle class. There's polish people there... but the other majorities are middle eastern/asian. You can find many other nationalities there in smaller numbers though.

Irving Park that borders Albany Park has spillover demographics from Albany park.
Mostly hispanic..

Drover lives there...
Avondale is also mostly hispanic.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 PM

hey Venom,

Thanks for the info!

ya, i hear ya re: hispanics from different countries. Didn't mean to sound ignorant there. :-)

Drover - any other insight on Irving Park (or on any of the other two areas for that matter)?

thanks a bunch!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 PM

anyone else pls??

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Albany Park is diverse like Venom said but you won't really find a rainbow of peoples living together on a single block. For example, the area around Kedzie from Berteau to Lawrence will be more Middle Eastern/Turkish/Lebanese, the area around Lawrence from Albany to Kimball will be more Chinese. Hispanic people are pretty much all over the place. There are also a good amount of white people too, with a great concentration over by Ravenswood and the SE portion of the neighborhood.

The area of Irving Park closest to Albany Park is the most Hispanic (maybe 65/35 or 60/40 split) with the neighborhood becoming more white generally as you move west of the expressway.

Avondale is nearly all Hispanic. The most gentrified part of the neighborhood in the SE and E side.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankdirs View Post
...i've dug through the forums trying to get an answer to my questions but I'm not getting anything satisfactory...
I don't see how that is possible.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
I suspect (but can't prove) that in Albany Park there are a lot more apartments than in Irving or Avondale. On our street (west end of Albany Park) we have blacks, whites (English speaking and non), Pakistanis, Indians, various Arabs, Mexicans, Cubans, Guatemalans, Ecuadorans, etc. Mostly middle class, however you define that. We have our share of trash (people as well as junk on the street) and gangs too, and the occasional bum sleeping in the alley. You get the occasional domestic BS that spills outside. Do I feel safe? Safer than I would in Lakeview at night - I haven't heard about people getting violently mugged around here.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
I suspect (but can't prove) that in Albany Park there are a lot more apartments than in Irving or Avondale...
You do not have to prove it. It is a well known fact to anyone that has extensive experience in those areas. ( Like me ) Your suspicion is correct.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM

great info peops. thank you!

keep it coming.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
And the Indians on LAwrence and Hamlin in that one apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago