Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times

Advertisements

They don't give out descriptions because they don't help anything. People already know what/who to look out for on the street at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I think you already know the answer to this but I'll bite. It's become un-PC to publish demographic information about those who commit violent crimes because one group is disproportionately represented, and certain folks do not want to "perpetuate the stereotype" that said group has a disproportionate number of criminals.

That's the logic. I don't agree with it but that's the logic.
Immediately to the right of this article is a link to a mope-parade of mugshots, the substantial majority of whom are, shall we say, not exactly melanin-deficient. So I suspect maybe there's a more plausible explanation, such as the Trib went to press on the story before demographic details were released. Neither of our two majors has been particularly shy about mentioning the demographic details of the perpetrators if they are provided with such details.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sometimes they give physical descriptions including race, and other times they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Wherever he came from they should broadcast and print a description, even if its W/M blond hair and blue eyes.
Thank you. The reason the media outlets don't describe offenders, specifically when it's black-on-white crime is because they are black, pure and simple. End of story, that's the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH. How in the world should people be on the lookout for the offender if they don't give a description?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Old 09-27-2009, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 10,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I think all of you people who think they should publish the descriptions want to shame black people, for there is no other logical reason for doing so.
No, it's that people do not like dishonesty and weasels, which is what the media are when they take deliberately mendacious steps to censor or hide basic information. I had to laugh at how the media made a national story out of the Yale student murder, because they finally got their hands on a White defendant to shame America with. There are reverse murders (white victims or non-white perps) daily all over the country, but they never would get the press.

Did anyone ever read Bonfire of the Vanities? Tom Wolfe was years ahead of himself when he portrayed the shameful glee the media and anti-white racists types have when they can find that "Great White Defendant" (Sherman McCoy). Oprah is notorious for blasting white losers and crimes on TV, etc. out of glee. MacKenzie Philips was the lastest example. What was the point of putting that out for American consumption?
Quote:
So do you whining people need to read things like this daily to remember to look out for young black males on the street? If so, then you truly are an idiot.
Well, it would help counter-balance all the dishonest and medacious media imagery in TV shows, movies, and commercials (think FedEx, beer, office supply cos., cellphone cos. etc.) where the young black male is portrayed as the boss, leader, and full of wisdom et al, and the white males are all depicted as emasculated *******. It does have an impact, you know. Maybe not on you, thankfully, but for many this false reverse-imagery does brainwash.

Last edited by Oakenfold; 09-27-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakenfold View Post
Thank you. The reason the media outlets don't describe offenders, specifically when it's black-on-white crime is because they are black, pure and simple. End of story, that's the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH. How in the world should people be on the lookout for the offender if they don't give a description?
The media clearly includes race in suspect's descriptions much of the time. So I'm not buying your theory of a liberal PC conspiracy. I'd even venture to say there are racial descriptions most of the time in black on white crime incidents.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The media clearly includes race in suspect's descriptions much of the time. So I'm not buying your theory of a liberal PC conspiracy. I'd even venture to say there are racial descriptions most of the time in black on white crime incidents.
Tell me this. If Joe Doe and John Dough are both involved in a gang fight and if [1] they are similar in size, and [2] they wear the same general type of clothing......... how do police describe these males without using words such as white. black, hispanic, indian or asian - and not turn it into a racial dialog in the forums.

Does a turf war have to be racial? Why can't it be gang related incident?

Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
No, it's that people do not like dishonesty and weasels, which is what the media are when they take deliberately mendacious steps to censor or hide basic information. I had to laugh at how the media made a national story out of the Yale student murder, because they finally got their hands on a White defendant to shame America with. There are reverse murders (white victims or non-white perps) daily all over the country, but they never would get the press.

Did anyone ever read Bonfire of the Vanities? Tom Wolfe was years ahead of himself when he portrayed the shameful glee the media and anti-white racists types have when they can find that "Great White Defendant" (Sherman McCoy). Oprah is notorious for blasting white losers and crimes on TV, etc. out of glee. MacKenzie Philips was the lastest example. What was the point of putting that out for American consumption?

Well, it would help counter-balance all the dishonest and medacious media imagery in TV shows, movies, and commercials (think FedEx, beer, office supply cos., cellphone cos. etc.) where the young black male is portrayed as the boss, leader, and full of wisdom et al, and the white males are all depicted as emasculated *******. It does have an impact, you know. Maybe not on you, thankfully, but for many this false reverse-imagery does brainwash.
I'm sorry you feel that the media would ever be so DISHONEST as to depict a black man as being decent and a white man as being less than flawless.

Of course the media is too PC sometimes, but you're out of your mind if you think they're out to brainwash us. White nationalist are we?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

15 posts, read 12,971 times
Quote:
Television is fake, for sure.
Quote:
but you're out of your mind if you think they're out to brainwash us.
I think of course Hollywood is out to brainwash, that's why Brokeback Mountain was made, it didn't make as much money as an alternate investment could have, say a Western with Clint Eastwood. If I was a shareholder of these media companies, I'd sue the execs for wasting capital on endeavors meant to brainwash, not make money. How many holocaust revenge fantasy movies does the world need in one year? 6? Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago